1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Aug 5, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #5,986 of 9,124
With U12 or A12, the bass is not the concern here, there is plenty of bass and there are plenty of ways to increase the control of the bass frequency.  The U/A 12 series really need a boost in the treble range.  All the four modules (S1, B1, G1, and Mam) which one for the fixed module and which setting for the Mam will give the best boost for the treble range.

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #5,987 of 9,124
  With U12 or A12, the bass is not the concern here, there is plenty of bass and there are plenty of ways to increase the control of the bass frequency.  The U/A 12 series really need a boost in the treble range.  All the four modules (S1, B1, G1, and Mam) which one for the fixed module and which setting for the Mam will give the best boost for the treble range.

Fixed module: B1

With the MAM: Pretty close to fully open. Maybe like a 1/2 to 1/4 of a rotation from fully open. There's where I'd start anyways.

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #5,988 of 9,124
Just wondering, how do people usually remove their ADEL modules from the IEM? I'm having quite a bit of difficulty prying mine out (by hand, anyway).

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #5,989 of 9,124
  Fixed module: B1

With the MAM: Pretty close to fully open. Maybe like a 1/2 to 1/4 of a rotation from fully open. There's where I'd start anyways.

Thanks, but I thought you and others have said that the new G1 can actually give a little brighter treble.  I have the B1 for my U12 now but I want more upper range.

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #5,990 of 9,124
I'm looking for some advice on fitment issues. I started with the U6 but even after extensive tip rolling found I couldn't wear them for more than an hour or so without some discomfort. I decided if I was going go with a CIEM and spend the time getting impressions made I would step up and go with the A12s, so I sent the U6s back and upgraded to A12s.

I have now sent them back two times. They will be definitely need to go back again. Since I initially received them the the left side has been very comfortable, not overly tight but seems to maintain a good seal overall.  I get no discomfort on the left even when I try and keep them in for up to two hours which is the absolute max I can endure on the right side.

The right side has an overall tighter fit that makes the A12 uncomfortable as compared to the left. I let 64Audio know this and even took the time to photoshop some images to show them where the "hot spots" are. After this second adjustment the right side almost feels worse than after the 1st adjustment.

The expense of mailing them in along with the time without them is getting quite frustrating. I'd like some advice on what I should be asking them to do. It seems like a re-shell is in order for the right side but then am I just going to be starting all over at square one?

For those that have been through this before I'd appreciate some advice and feedback on how many times I should expect to have to send them back and forth to get this right.

It's a big investment to have something so uncomfortable and it becomes painful after a relatively short listening period. At this point I'm wondering if I should have just stuck with universals even though they were uncomfortable after a while. I don't remember them being anywhere this bad. It's actually quite painful after just a few minutes now on the right. I can see the possibilities though because my left ear feels great.

Any advice appreciated.

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #5,991 of 9,124
I found the following link to be very helpful: http://theheadphonelist.com/custom-in-ear-monitors-fit-guide/.

The use of lube the first few times was a big help, although I now no longer feel I need it now that all has "settled in."

In addition, it is possible that your intimal impressions were sufficiently inaccurate that a refit or even reshell may not solve things. Possible sending 64Audio a fresh set of impressions is in order.

Good luck. I had some challenges initially too but am now a firm believer in customs for seal, fit, comfort and consistency of sound quality.

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #5,992 of 9,124
I'm looking for some advice on fitment issues. I started with the U6 but even after extensive tip rolling found I couldn't wear them for more than an hour or so without some discomfort. I decided if I was going go with a CIEM and spend the time getting impressions made I would step up and go with the A12s, so I sent the U6s back and upgraded to A12s.

I have now sent them back two times. They will be definitely need to go back again. Since I initially received them the the left side has been very comfortable, not overly tight but seems to maintain a good seal overall.  I get no discomfort on the left even when I try and keep them in for up to two hours which is the absolute max I can endure on the right side.

The right side has an overall tighter fit that makes the A12 uncomfortable as compared to the left. I let 64Audio know this and even took the time to photoshop some images to show them where the "hot spots" are. After this second adjustment the right side almost feels worse than after the 1st adjustment.

The expense of mailing them in along with the time without them is getting quite frustrating. I'd like some advice on what I should be asking them to do. It seems like a re-shell is in order for the right side but then am I just going to be starting all over at square one?

For those that have been through this before I'd appreciate some advice and feedback on how many times I should expect to have to send them back and forth to get this right.

It's a big investment to have something so uncomfortable and it becomes painful after a relatively short listening period. At this point I'm wondering if I should have just stuck with universals even though they were uncomfortable after a while. I don't remember them being anywhere this bad. It's actually quite painful after just a few minutes now on the right. I can see the possibilities though because my left ear feels great.

Any advice appreciated.

Hey man, I am on the same boat. I was having issues with my right IEM first. Tried a refit first and it did not work. In fact for some reason after I received it after the 1st refit, my left shell started causing some discomfort. So for the 2nd refit, I actually sent in new impressions and got it reshelled. Got them back yesterday and now the right shell is perfectly fine. But the left shell is causing pain within minutes. But I want to give it one or 2 more tries before giving up.

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #5,995 of 9,124
I found the following link to be very helpful: http://theheadphonelist.com/custom-in-ear-monitors-fit-guide/.

The use of lube the first few times was a big help, although I now no longer feel I need it now that all has "settled in."

In addition, it is possible that your intimal impressions were sufficiently inaccurate that a refit or even reshell may not solve things. Possible sending 64Audio a fresh set of impressions is in order.

Good luck. I had some challenges initially too but am now a firm believer in customs for seal, fit, comfort and consistency of sound quality.

Get new impressions, ether find someone else to do them or research the correct way and reiterate over and over to your current audiologist exactly what you need. Make sure it's someone that has done impressions for CIEMs before. Make sure they use the correct viscosity material, make sure you don't move a hair or speak at all once the goop is in your ears, make sure they go all the way back-fill it up enough, and get the entire outer ear. Memorize and bring phone-pics of what correct impressions should look like, compare yours to them and do not hesitate to ask for another go. It took me 3 times before I found a competent impression taker and even then I coached the guy on exactly what I wanted.

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #5,996 of 9,124
Thanks, but I thought you and others have said that the new G1 can actually give a little brighter treble.  I have the B1 for my U12 now but I want more upper range.

Treble on G1 is higher pitched but the entire spectrum is veiled, not nearly as badly veiled as S1 though. I hated S1 and love listening to G1. As far as G1 vs B1 treble, B1 has more overall high end presence wherras with G1 it has a hair more sparkle but maybe that's just because that treble is presenting itself on an overall darker stage.

Aug 6, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #5,997 of 9,124
Get new impressions, ether find someone else to do them or research the correct way and reiterate over and over to your current audiologist exactly what you need. Make sure it's someone that has done impressions for CIEMs before. Make sure they use the correct viscosity material, make sure you don't move a hair or speak at all once the goop is in your ears, make sure they go all the way back-fill it up enough, and get the entire outer ear. Memorize and bring phone-pics of what correct impressions should look like, compare yours to them and do not hesitate to ask for another go. It took me 3 times before I found a competent impression taker and even then I coached the guy on exactly what I wanted.

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and suggestions. Good to know I am not the only who struggling with this. I feel like the person doing my impressions did a good job overall as the left side fits pretty well. I am going to have them redo the right side. There is no one in my area on any of the lists I have checked, but they seemed quite good and told me about no moving or speaking when taking them. It seems like doing those things (no movement) would cause the fit to be too loose versus too tight so I'm still wondering if 64audio made some mistakes on their end. How can it ending up being bigger than the impression taken of your ear? Smaller I can understand.

I emailed photos to 64audio before sending them in and they replied that they looked good. Will plan to send in a new set.

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #5,999 of 9,124
There was a frequency chart of the u12 somewhere in this thread which I am not able to locate. I am trying to do some EQing with the upper frequency. Anyone knows?

Aug 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #6,000 of 9,124
There was a frequency chart of the u12 somewhere in this thread which I am not able to locate. I am trying to do some EQing with the upper frequency. Anyone knows?

There could have been one from awhile ago where I took S1/B1/MAM measurements, but the upper mids/treble part of that FR is grossly inaccurate due to an issue with my uncalibrated measurement setup (use it only for low end relative comparison).  Don't go by "charts", use your ears
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back