1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Aug 4, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #5,971 of 9,124
Back on topic, I am concerned that my asius mam is not working. Is it easy to check by pulling them out and opening and closing while looking at bottom? Should I be able to see the membrame moving in the mam?

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #5,973 of 9,124
Received G1 modules yesterday and finally got a chance to test-drive them today at work, 8 hours worth of listening time, swapping between G1 and B1 modules every few hours.

B1 modules have noticeably more noise isolation that G1 modules. Asius website lists both modules -10 dB. Are mine defective, or G1 really do leak in more ambient noise than B1's?

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #5,974 of 9,124
  Received G1 modules yesterday and finally got a chance to test-drive them today at work, 8 hours worth of listening time, swapping between G1 and B1 modules every few hours.

B1 modules have noticeably more noise isolation that G1 modules. Asius website lists both modules -10 dB. Are mine defective, or G1 really do leak in more ambient noise than B1's?

Besides the difference between sound isolation, can you share other sound differences? Btw, which model (U12, U10  etc.) do you have?

Aug 4, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #5,975 of 9,124
  Besides the difference between sound isolation, can you share other sound differences? Btw, which model (U12, U10  etc.) do you have?

I have both U12 and A12.

While I do think I notice the different sound signatures I believe it's too soon for me to say anything for certain. I believe there was a claim somewhere in this thread that G1's are V shaped and yeah, I do feel that could be the case here. More lows & highs and about equal mids compared to B1. However, the difference is quite small. In fact, I don't think I've noticed any difference at first, lol. I can definitely see myself enjoying both modules equally, and while difference between them is very small but that may become more defined the more I listen to them, only time will tell.

The bigger issue for me is the ambiance leaking in. The ambient lows are cut off and highs are somewhat muffled but the mids are prominent and can be quite distracting when listening to the music, especially when I have an AC vent right above my work desk that's constantly on :D

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #5,977 of 9,124
I notice significant differences between B1 & G1, review of G1 forthcoming.

Ike, What about between B1 and MAM? I know you currently love your MAM, but you have showed equal love for the B1. Is the MAM considerably better?

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #5,979 of 9,124

Contrary to expectations, I'm hearing more bass from a fully-open MAM than from the B1. Would be good to hear your thoughts on this also.

Just more bass, do you get a bigger sound stage ?
If it just just more bass and not a wider sound stage, not sure if you could be experiencing what I experience with my first MAM - the membrane was stuck at close. According to Steve, repeated gentle closing it and opening may open loosen it (work for others), but not for me. Best to check with Steve !

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #5,980 of 9,124

If it just just more bass and not a wider sound stage, not sure if you could be experiencing what I experience with my first MAM - the membrane was stuck at close. According to Steve, repeated gentle closing it and opening may open loosen it (work for others), but not for me. Best to check with Steve !

With s1, isolation is there, bass is there. But you get congested sound, and the total sound is heard as if through a veil.

With mam, you get good quality and quantity bass when it's in the song. The total sound isn't congested. It is more airy and bright while bringing good clarity across the entire frequency spectrum.

The sound stage is wide and separation is very good. This is for u12 (and a12). U12/A12 comes alive to its full potential with a mam.

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #5,982 of 9,124
Ike, What about between B1 and MAM? I know you currently love your MAM, but you have showed equal love for the B1. Is the MAM considerably better?

They're for different situations. If I want to be able to pickup the bass guitar better, I'll pop in B1. With it's reduce mid bass, I find I am able to discern bass guitar better. If I want thundering sub bass and sparkly high's, I'll pop in G1. I love all the modules except S1, hard to pick any single one as a favorite. The sweet spot adjusted MAM is a standout though, I recently discovered that instead of humming a note to find the sweet spot, you can do short powerful hum-bursts like; hum-hum-hum, while making slight adjustments through the spectrum of adjustments. I can feel the membranes flutter when I do this (I think that's whats happening), by emphasizing the hum with a short burst, it's easier to notice occulsion.

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #5,983 of 9,124
Contrary to expectations, I'm hearing more bass from a fully-open MAM than from the B1. Would be good to hear your thoughts on this also.

Yes, I also hear far more bass from a fully open (knob all the way in) MAM as well, this is to be expected as the basket is right behind the membrane.

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #5,984 of 9,124

I'm going to copy and paste the user manual on here again, but should help yours AND other's various questions about the expected sounds from MAMs various positions.

1.       All the way out CLOSES the ambient port, thereby defeating the ADEL membrane as it can't move because it can't compress the air trapped behind it.

2.       All the way IN opens the ambient port completely, but ALSO tensions the membrane - which increases the bass response under open ambient conditions.

3.       Halfway between these extremes, the membrane is most compliant (floppy) because the ambient port is fully open and the tensioning apparatus is not engaged at all. This position mitigates pneumatic pressures most effectively, but the bass may seem lacking at first until your ears have a chance to relax (up to 10 minutes). The bass should then become much fuller and faster, because the unnatural resonances of your sealed ear canal  and in-ear pneumatic pressures have been mitigated.

If the bass is still lacking after full relaxation, try adjusting the MAMs slowly in or out to suit your taste, but without fully closing them (moving them all the way out), as this can trigger your acoustic reflex, thereby possibly making it necessary for you to allow your ears to relax again.

The extreme positions, 1. all the way OUT (closed) and 2. all the way IN (open, but tensioned) may sound similar because these both impinge more pneumatic pressure on the ear drum due to the fact that the ADEL membrane is immobilized by 1. Static air pressure (all the way OUT or CLOSED) or 2. Mechanical tensioning (all the way IN, or OPEN BUT TENSIONED).

The "right" ADEL adjustment will be somewhere between these two extremes, depending on how much pressure is retained in your middle ear, your listening preferences, the altitude you are listening at, whether your are exercising or running while listening, the kind of music you are listening to and the conditions under which it was recorded. Both extremes of fully out (closed) and fully in (open with tensioned membrane) are often useful under demanding exercise or listening conditions or varying ear anatomies.

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #5,985 of 9,124

Sound stage absolutely varies across MAM adjustment's, to see for yourself, use a good quality version of Pink Floy's Money (I like the SACD or black triangle (and play the intro through the various MAM settings). I can tell an obvious shrinking/expanding across the adjustment spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back