1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Aug 3, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #5,942 of 9,124
Thank you guys for the warm welcome :)

I'm wondering if you could explain what makes APEX backwards compatible with an ADEL IEM but not the other way around? If APEX fits in an ADEL headphone, I would have thought ADEL would fit in an APEX.

Thanks.

I would like to know this as well. Seems like it would be beneficial to all involved to allow everyone to be able to use whichever module they choose. Even if 64 audio doesn't officially sell them anymore. Just my .02.

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #5,943 of 9,124
Anyone upgrading to the Galaxy Note 7 (Snapdragon 820)? If you do, mind stating how the audio is straight from the headphone port with your A-series earphones?

Currently have the Note 5, and the Exynos has a bit of a warm sound (Wolfson DAC apparently) which doesn't blend too well with the A6 imo. Sounds a bit too soft to be very enjoyable. 

I think the downside to upgrading is, once it's done I can't get my old phone back (I have T-Mobile's JUMP to trade phones) if the audio ends up sounding subpar. Would have to trade again for another Note 5 which would go towards my 3 devices/year limit.

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #5,945 of 9,124
question, can I put the dehumidifier which is provided in the 64audio case in the microwave or I have to put it in the oven ? 

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #5,946 of 9,124
I damaged mine with 30 seconds micowave although others have reported success. YMMV.

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #5,947 of 9,124
Personally I don't use dehumidifer beads anymore, I just pop my A12's in a food dehydrator after removing the ADEL modules and thoroughly cleaning them. I set the dehumidifer to 105-110 and leave them overnight.

If you can, remove the beads from the dehumidifier first, place the beads in a papertowel shaped into a bowl and then microwave them that way, you won't destroy the container.

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #5,949 of 9,124
Hello everyone,

I have not officially introduced myself yet so here it is. My name is Vitaliy G. Forum name is Videl... just cuz thats my forum username everywhere.

I work for 64 Audio in R&D. I'm pretty much Vitaliy B's right hand. I will be posting here to answer people's questions regarding the technical aspects of our technology and products when I can and when appropriate.

I am actually pretty excited about becoming a member of this forum. And it is also pretty exciting to see the level of interest and buzz some of you have shown regarding apex and tia technologies.

I am looking forward to growing as a member of this community... and... all I can say now is there are some very interesting things coming in the near future. We certainly do live in exciting times!

Welcome to HF, Vitaliy (privet!).  Btw, for those who are curious, http://www.64audio.com/about has pictures of everybody at 64Audio.  You can even turn it into a game of how many Vitaliy B. brothers you can spot in there
wink.gif

I did read Vitaliy's blog post about 64Audio break up w/ASIUS (makers of ADEL) and a plan to move forward with APEX as a replacement.  Not gonna lie, after testing U12 and U6 w/S1, B1, MAM and sharing about their fantastic synergy in my reviews on Head-fi, this came as a shocking surprise.  I didn't get a chance to attend the latest head-fi meets and some other popular audio events, but from the YT videos and pictures shared by both 64 Audio and ASIUS, there wasn't just a synergy between U-/A- and ADEL, but also looked like a synergy between the teams of both companies, standing side-by-side, like one happy family.  But I guess we can never assume, happy family facade can still have plenty of skeletons in the closet.  Not for me to judge or to comment, I'm just a reviewer.

But I do have a million dollar question, why APEX instead of going back to the original 1964 Ears design without any extra modules?  ADEL has too much science and research behind it with many years dedicated by Stephen A.  It's sad that things didn't workout, but wouldn't it make sense to just cut the loses and move on with what you guy already good at on your own, making multi-driver IEMs/CIEMs without any external modules?  APEX looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, but it's not a duck, more like a kuritsa
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #5,950 of 9,124
Hey guys I will loop in Chris, our Product Design Engineer, to help answer some of these questions you guys have. Again, I can mainly elaborate on the technical side of things regarding our technology. Chris will be able to answer more questions regarding socket sizing, compatability, and design decisions.

@twister6,

I dont think I can answer your question completely... Chris may have to chime in on this.

But I can tell you that the A/U series were designed around ADEL. We designed apex to preserve the same sound signature and tuning that Vitaliy intended when he designed the A/U series. Along with that we were able to make other improvements to the module.

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #5,951 of 9,124
Hi,
 Videl, How were the new APEX modules tested? I am a Registered Nurse and view the artificial ear drums as if they were medical devices. I feel that any company making the claim that a device has medical benefits should back up their claim with some hard science from an credible outside authority such a Doctor (audiologist) or University study. Having patented, manufactured, and tested the product in house and solely by employees by 1964 ears you can see how i am concerned that there could be a bias.. That being said your company has a proven track record of providing high quality innovative products to consumers for several years. I only ask that you if you have already worked with an outside unbiased professional or organization to please promote and provide the data and statistics affiliated with APEX so that consumers can fully informed decisions. If you have not work with and outside source to certify you APEX i would urge your company to do so.  

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #5,952 of 9,124
My more worrying concern is why make the new IEM not compatible with ADEL? if ADEL decided to sue 64 Audio for patent violation, and wins, we'll be left with IEM that is not supported by ADEL or 64 Audio.

Aug 3, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #5,953 of 9,124
Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris and I'm the Product Design Engineer for 64 Audio / 1964 Ears.  I've been lurking on these forums for the last two years and registered an account a few months ago but have unfortunately not found the time or need to post until now.

I was asked to step into this thread and elsewhere in the forum to start addressing some of the questions, concerns, and speculations regarding the introduction of our apex technology and the phase-out of ADEL from our current and future products.  I'd also love to share what I'm allowed to about our upcoming tia technology and future IEM models as we get closer to launch.

With so much mixed feedback here on HeadFi in the last week it's hard to decide where to start!

What I think is best would be to begin a '64 Audio / apex' thread where I can contribute more information and insight into our current and future plans for apex modules... answer questions related to ADEL, module compatibility, and ADEL/apex equivalency in this thread... and eventually create a '64 Audio / tia' thread where we can discuss what aims to be a quite interesting future for in-ear monitor technology.

Stay tuned!

Aug 3, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #5,954 of 9,124
  But I do have a million dollar question, why APEX instead of going back to the original 1964 Ears design without any extra modules?  ADEL has too much science and research behind it with many years dedicated by Stephen A.  It's sad that things didn't workout, but wouldn't it make sense to just cut the loses and move on with what you guy already good at on your own, making multi-driver IEMs/CIEMs without any external modules?  APEX looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, but it's not a duck, more like a kuritsa
biggrin.gif

The modules definitely have lots of benefits to me. It is tough to buy an item without such a module. So it was a good decision by 1964audio to continue with the module system.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #5,955 of 9,124
I'm not sure that changing the material of the membrane, and the location of the vent will be sufficient modification, depending on what is in the ADEL patent--I've had trouble finding the patent for ADEL modules. This isn't the same as the Jerry Harvey patent fight--he basically said nobody can make multi-armature IEMs without paying me. Asius Technologies ADEL technology is actually novel, Jerry Harvey had an opportunistic patent where everybody was already doing what he patented. I think you guys could still be heading for a challenge, as without knowledge of how the ADEL system works, you couldn't have designed your new APEX module.

TIA is almost certainly heading for a challenge, from what I can tell from comments in this thread.

Also, if @64Audio isn't engaging in underhanded behaviour, why not allow backwards compatibility? Since I've not seen anybody complaining about the difficulty of removing ADEL modules, and since this removal will be rare for most users, this is obviously meant to be a way to prevent Asius from selling more ADEL modules to go with your products. I think it is foolish, and will actually reduce your sales, as you can sell the products with APEX, and then people could choose to put ADEL modules in if backwards compatibility was maintained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back