1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Feb 17, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #3,557 of 9,124
  Well, I do know that I get more ringing in my ears even when I am using my CIEMs at lower volume (and I do mean lower volume - it's like 3 clicks from zero in my iPhone). I also noticed that there is always a pressure on my ears when I am wearing my CIEMs - which is why I would, during the process of listening, at times, remove them from my ears for a short time and then put it back on.

According to theory, based on the videos, is that the ringing should not happen that often if I use them regularly, so I will have to see how it goes when I get my A6 and test them out.

Never had that happen to me.. and I've used my Qi's extensively on long flights and most weekends while doing 4-hr gigs in my band over the last 2 yrs.

If you get ringing in your ears - its TOO LOUD! - or your hearing is already damaged!   

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #3,559 of 9,124

I don't fully understand the science - I guess it would be good to have Stephen explain it a little more.  But I can tell you my experience as a U6 owner - and I'm pretty sure a lot of this has to do with the Adel module. I am able to listen at a lot lower volumes than I do with other IEMs  and it's because the music sounds every bit as good at the lower volumes. To humans, louder sounds better - we get a higher sense of dynamic contrast, it sounds more vibrant, we capture more detail.  It's how we are wired.  Consistently with the U6 though, I'm finding I can listen at a lot lower volumes and still get the same amount of detail and feeling of satisfaction with the overall sound than if I was listening to another similar IEM (at higher volume).

And as far as the science goes, my understanding is that at a certain level of SPL the inner ear membrane reacts to the pneumatic pressure, and triggers a defense mechanism which reduces the pressure on the membrane.  This would be fine if we left it at that - but we don't.  Instead we turn the volume up more to over-ride the defense mechanism until we overwhelm it.  At that stage we're pumping much higher SPL levels into the inner ear and as a result it gets damaged.

Contrast the Adel module.  It releases some of the pneumatic pressure so that we still get what we're hearing at lower volumes but the membrane isn't activated, so we don't have the compulsion to turn the music up.  So if used correctly it should be able to reduce the instances of hearing loss associated with listening to portable devices.  The catch is that in order for people to reap the benefit, they have to be prepared to listen quieter.  From what I've seen from responses so far, many people are still using their normal (high) listening level - so maybe that benefit isn't being captured.  In my case - I am listening at a lot lower level.  So I guess the universal answer is YMMV, and it depends on how you are using the Adel technology.

Hi Brooko,

Do you own other 6 balanced-armature IEMs?  If so, are they as sensitive as the U6?  Maybe the armature configuration in the U6 makes for a more sensitive IEM.  

I remember hearing in one video that the 64 Audio team said something about a defense mechanism to protect the eardrum.  I was never able to learn what this phenomena was called or even see it mentioned anywhere in the audiology industry.  Is it a real thing? 

There is nothing about allowing pneumatic pressure to be lost that should effect listening volume differences other than the bass being well below the mids and highs. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #3,561 of 9,124

Hi Brooko,

Do you own other 6 balanced-armature IEMs?  If so, are they as sensitive as the U6?  Maybe the armature configuration in the U6 makes for a more sensitive IEM.  

I remember hearing in one video that the 64 Audio team said something about a defense mechanism to protect the eardrum.  I was never able to learn what this phenomena was called or even see it mentioned anywhere in the audiology industry.  Is it a real thing? 

There is nothing about allowing pneumatic pressure to be lost that should effect listening volume differences other than the bass being well below the mids and highs. 

I'll answer this a little more fully tonight when I get home.  I don't any other 6 BA IEMs  but I have a lot of multi-driver hybrids, and some experience with both dual and triple BAs.  I also have a couple of 5 driver hybrids with me at the moment (4BA + DD).  Sensitivity has nothing to do with the higher number of BAs - but in the components used and the overall configuration.  I have hybrids with lower impedance and higher sensitivity.  I also have some with the opposite.

But I really think that for more information regarding Adel technology, I think you should be talking directly to Stephen - and not relying on information from us.  I know he is really approachable, and can explain his invention far better than any of us could. All I can relate is my own experience with the U6, and I can confirm to you that I am listening at a lower overall level.

Like I say, I'll try to comment further tonight when I get home.

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #3,563 of 9,124
Anyone with personal experience using the A8 CIEM? It's supposed to be bassier but I wonder about the balance of midrange and treble detail.

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #3,564 of 9,124
Coming from IE800, which ones would I prefer? U10 or U12? From what I have read and seen it looks like U12 would be too warm for me and this upcoming CanJam Singapore will be a great chance for me to audition it but I would like to know in advance. thanks.

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #3,565 of 9,124
JJHo - further to what you mentioned before - I can give you a few examples.

Firstly - during my testing with the automatic module, and now the new manual module, one of the tests I ran was simply to remove the module altogether and completely block the hole with bluetak. Although this is completely subjective, and because it takes 20-30 seconds to switch from blocked to ADEL modules in place, I consistently found that I thought I was hearing more detail with the modules in place.

When I would stick longer (a couple of tracks in a row) between ADEL modules in or blocked, I was consistently turning the same tracks down a bit with the ADEL module in place.

Like I said - very subjective, and I can't measure actual pneumatic pressure because I don't have the tools.  It could be wishful thinking on my part - but like I said, it's pretty consistent.

Secondly - the U6 is 22 ohm and 115 dB SPL.  I also have the Alclair Curve2 which is 22 ohm 111 dB SPL.  When measuring both with a calibrated SPL meter, and test tones, there is only 0.1-0.2 dB difference between the two.  Again - subjective - but with the Curve I tend to knock it up a click and tend to knock the U6 down a click for a comfortable listening level.  Could be the different frequency curves at play though.

The final test is that with a lot of my other IEMs - because I spend a lot of time testing - I often irritate my tinnitus (it flares up and becomes quite aggressive - I have it permanently from an accident many years ago). With the U6, I can listen for a lot longer and I don't get the same irritation.

So I'm sold on the fact that something is happening - but I'd encourage you to take Steve's offer up, and contact Stephen, who will definitely answer any questions you may have.

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #3,566 of 9,124
  Coming from IE800, which ones would I prefer? U10 or U12? From what I have read and seen it looks like U12 would be too warm for me and this upcoming CanJam Singapore will be a great chance for me to audition it but I would like to know in advance. thanks.

I haven't heard the U10, but I have had the IE800 for a long while and I can tell you the U12 is warmer indeed and also thicker (but retaining amazing separation and soundstage). The striking difference is well behaved treble :wink: The treble presentation is very different, it's well extended but smooth, and less forward in the mix.

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #3,568 of 9,124
  @davidmolliere how warm would you compare it to say, TG334/Heir 8.0/JH16? I like my IEMs to be airy.

I wouldn't know, never heard either of those... one thing I can say is U12 is warm but retains very good separation and air, that's quite a singular characteristic I would say as those are usually opposite qualities. Now U10 would probably be airier from what I have read it's less warm than U12.

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #3,569 of 9,124
@davidmolliere
 how warm would you compare it to say, TG334/Heir 8.0/JH16? I like my IEMs to be airy.

It is my experience that the ADEL module lifts the entire frequency response, making everything more airy. When I say lift I don't mean in the sense of harshness or treble but in the sense of lightness, airyness, spaciousness, soundstage. Everything is airier with ADEL.

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #3,570 of 9,124
Brooko,

I appreciate how you are taking your time to help me better understand the ADEL technology.  Thank you!

When you seal the hole, where the ADEL module was, does the bass increase considerably?  A few days ago someone posted frequency response curves from different settings using the manual module.  it appeared that only the bass/midbass region was effected.  Could you perceive more detail because (with a complete seal there is less bass leakage) there is more bass?  With less bass the highs seem louder and with more bass the mids and highs seem less loud/detailed.

Your comparison between the Alclair IEM and the U6 is interesting.  I wonder at what frequency(ies) the two companies take the impedance measurement at.  Do the two IEMs have similar amounts of bass in your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back