1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Jan 10, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #3,046 of 9,124
Its still not fully decided, but the manual modules are much more labor intensive, plus theres more parts. So from what I've heard, they might be $199, or you can opt to get them when you place your order for only $99 more. Thats not for sure tho

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #3,047 of 9,124
The current A/U series's sound signature is designed around ADEL, so they're going to sound dramatically better than the older V series.

As for if its worth the extra money for your use, i guess its a question of what's your hearing in the future worth to you?

Thanks for the info on the sound signature..

However the "question of what's your hearing in the future worth to you" is not really germane..IMHO.  I've been using 1964 Qi's for 2 yrs, (Westones before that and industry standard professional headphones for FOH monitoring, etc. all along).. at the LOWEST usable/audible levels needed.  I find it hard to believe the difference between the A and V series is that extreme and continued use of Qi's are a question of "what's your hearing in the future worth to you". Sounds like marketing hype.  

My hearing is fine (I won't say perfect for my age), but I've been CAREFULLY looking after it for years as I've seen (and know) too many folks who've been exposed to loud audio for far too long and have varying degrees of hearing loss.. Since I'm almost a senior citizen, I'm not overly concerned with long term future hearing.

With all due respect (and no offense intended), I was looking for a helpful,  unbiased comparison from users who have owned both sets. From my research - other than the Adel technology - the A series appears to use the same BA drivers as the V series with some additional crossover/porting, and of course, the new 3D printing for the shells.

While I understand your "expertise" you are naturally pro-Adel. It's like going to a Ford dealer and asking if the 2016 Mustang is better than the 2014.  

Having read your review of the A12's, not sure the autos would work for me on stage.  It's not chump change to get into the A series.. .. hence the research.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/1964-ears-adel-a12-custom-iem/reviews/14574

Thanks..

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #3,048 of 9,124
I have 1964 V6S and also U6 with passive ADEL. In term of sound signature, they are 98% the same, but the U6 sounds airier and a tad more open than the V6S also no fatigue when using the U6 for long period of time. 

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #3,049 of 9,124
S0C9, I can definitely see where you're coming from. So I feel I should apoligize for my easy worded answer.

But there are some different drivers between the two series, some stayed the same. I texted Vitaliy just to be sure to give you the correct info.

As for ADEL, sealed iems/ear buds/etc are proven to cause hearing loss. Its scientifically proven. So ADEL being there to absorb that harmful pressure, is perserving your availability to hear. Thats why there is no fatigue. Your ears arent being hammered by the pneumatic pressure, which what the problem is in the first place.

If youre going to be at the NAMM Show, I'll personally give you a demo, explanation, show you the figures and we'll give you 20% off.

Its purely a case of the proofs in the pudding, it can absolutely sound like all hype until then. Thats normal, especially since I just did over a 100 demos at CES and a few people said the said until they demo'd and covered/uncovered the vent on ADEL and were shocked to feel the difference, not to mention hearing it.

So again, I apologize for how that came off, your point is totally valid and respected.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #3,050 of 9,124
Which U series model is most comparable, as far as the sub/low/mid/high graphs, to a W40?

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #3,051 of 9,124
  I just put in my order and will be sending the impressions tomorrow.  I can't wait!

May I ask who did the impressions?  Could you message me so we don't derail the thread (HI too), thanks!

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #3,052 of 9,124
S0C9, I can definitely see where you're coming from. So I feel I should apoligize for my easy worded answer.

But there are some different drivers between the two series, some stayed the same. I texted Vitaliy just to be sure to give you the correct info.

As for ADEL, sealed iems/ear buds/etc are proven to cause hearing loss. Its scientifically proven. So ADEL being there to absorb that harmful pressure, is perserving your availability to hear. Thats why there is no fatigue. Your ears arent being hammered by the pneumatic pressure, which what the problem is in the first place.

If youre going to be at the NAMM Show, I'll personally give you a demo, explanation, show you the figures and we'll give you 20% off.

Its purely a case of the proofs in the pudding, it can absolutely sound like all hype until then. Thats normal, especially since I just did over a 100 demos at CES and a few people said the said until they demo'd and covered/uncovered the vent on ADEL and were shocked to feel the difference, not to mention hearing it.

So again, I apologize for how that came off, your point is totally valid and respected.

Canyon,
thanks for taking the time to reply...

I'm not disputing the technology.. been following it since the Kickstarter effort. Almost jumped on a set of A12's back then, but couldn't justify the $$.

However, I have the Qi's and mostly use them at gigs. Your A12 review indicated the sensitivity of the Adels in the A12's.. acting like open back cans. On the stage.. I NEED a level of isolation for the IEM's to work.. are the Adel's going to keep adjusting as I move around?

To be sure, budget is also a factor in my decision..  To "upgrade" to full-priced A4's (same BA drivers as Qi's I believe) to get Adel, it's $899 base...  If I want to additional drivers, obviously the price goes up.

If the A4's are that much different than the Qi's, how much different (better?) are they than the V8's at the same price point?
See where I'm coming from? I'm not trying to be difficult or split hairs.. all I have to go on is interweb feedback (not just from this forum).
I've NEVER heard them and all I have to compare against is the Qi's.
I'm interested in "upgrading" for stage use..   $1200 for a set of A6's or $1400 for the A8's is a large commitment.  
You are saying it's worth it... I'm looking for second opinions 
atsmile.gif

I won't be at NAMM - sorry, not an industry insider. Thanks for the offer.. I would love a demo, but not going to be there,..would also love the 20% off... who wouldn't.  
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #3,053 of 9,124
I feel ya, I never spent time with the old V series, I've listened to the A4s but thats only part of equation.

I do feel the need to mention again that an ADEL module is in the works for exactly what youre talking about tho. Complete isolation for on stage use, while letting adel breathe like its wide open. No eta on it yet, but its designed and starting to be tested.

I wish I could just mail you a demo, but I dont have the pull to make that happen.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #3,054 of 9,124
I appreciate the offer of a demo, and completely understand.
I'll keep researching/reading and depending on how others provide feedback for stage/live use - make a decision soon, or wait until you guys get the clickable cartridge on the market!
thanks for your time/input!

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #3,055 of 9,124
I appreciate the offer of a demo, and completely understand.
I'll keep researching/reading and depending on how others provide feedback for stage/live use - make a decision soon, or wait until you guys get the clickable cartridge on the market!
thanks for your time/input!

Anytime. Seriously, anybody can feel free to PM me or ask for Stephen's contact info for more in depth explanations.

I'm on here simply because I was a customer first and now I have an inside line to whats happening. I can let the guys at 64 know what the customers really want or if something has become an issue. Same deal with keeping the users informed on whats to come, especially in the sense of modules, so you can really customize your A/U series to meet your individual needs.

Approachability was something I really loved about 64 Audio when I first started talking with them and demoing products. I domy best to keep that going for them, as well as letting your voices clearly heard to people calling the shots. I get asked for my recommendations according to what you users tell me you want to make your products better and try to deliver on it.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #3,056 of 9,124

With all due respect (and no offense intended), I was looking for a helpful,  unbiased comparison from users who have owned both sets. From my research - other than the Adel technology - the A series appears to use the same BA drivers as the V series with some additional crossover/porting, and of course, the new 3D printing for the shells.

Hi,
I own the V8 and the U12, and even though the driver configuration is different (obviously the V8 sounds warmer and the U12 is more neutral), I can still hear a similar house sound from the two earphones as well as the V6 I used to own (e.g. they all have a slight dip in the upper mids). I would agree with voicemaster that the sound signature of a V-series models and its A-series equivalent will not be very far off.

The V8 has very good soundstage (I prefer it over my K10U), but the U12 provides an open feeling unlike any other IEM I've heard (though I haven't heard the Layla yet). The U12 does NOT sound as open as my full-sized headphones (I only have the K7XX, Q701 and AD2kX).

My ears don't really get fatigued from non-sibilant IEMs (I listen at low volume levels and am in my early 20s if it makes any difference), but my ears do feel more relaxed when I listen to the U12, so imo the ADEL technology does work well.
However, I don't really know if ADEL makes things louder at the same volume levels, since impedance varies between different earphones. My Supra II is "louder" than my U12 at the same volume level, and the innerfidelity review says the Legend R is even more sensitive than the Supra II.

Unfortunately I can't help you in regards to isolation since you're asking about the A-series. My U12 isolates less than many of my IEMs, but I think it's mainly because the fit is shallower due to the large and sharp nozzles.
For stage use, I would recommend waiting for the manual module (or even the signature module) over the auto module (which I've read is similar to the manual module set around 70% open).

Would I pay $500USD more for ADEL? Yes, only because I trust that the ADEL technology will prevent (or a least minimize) hearing loss. It's a long term investment that I feel is worth the money. With that being said, I have to confess that I still listen to my other IEMs as much as my U12 :p

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #3,057 of 9,124
At this moment the Isolating Module (which is nicknamed The Roman) is planned to be priced the same as the manual. There may be a bit of fluctuation depending on parts/labor to assembly. But overall theyre expected to roughly all cost $200. Unless you opt for an upgraded one at check out, then itll be significantly less.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #3,058 of 9,124
Anytime. Seriously, anybody can feel free to PM me or ask for Stephen's contact info for more in depth explanations.

I'm on here simply because I was a customer first and now I have an inside line to whats happening. I can let the guys at 64 know what the customers really want or if something has become an issue. Same deal with keeping the users informed on whats to come, especially in the sense of modules, so you can really customize your A/U series to meet your individual needs.

Approachability was something I really loved about 64 Audio when I first started talking with them and demoing products. I domy best to keep that going for them, as well as letting your voices clearly heard to people calling the shots. I get asked for my recommendations according to what you users tell me you want to make your products better and try to deliver on it.

I'd really be curious on what 64 Audio thinks the advantage is of having more drivers per frequency range. For example the U12 is only 3 way crossover. But 4 drivers per frequency range. What advantage does this have over say 2 drivers per frequency range? Is it purely so it can play louder without distortion? In that case for those who don't listen loud at all it could not have an advantage. The K10 is a four way, so the drivers are more spread out per range. But with a three way, 4 drivers per frequency range seems overkill. Would like to know if I'm missing something here..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back