1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 31, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #2,986 of 9,124
  Hey guys, while I've been replying throughout the thread, I've been given the green light to give out a bit more about the future ADEL modules I had mentioned a few pages back. 

I know the manuals are just starting to get into people's ears, but here's something to keep an eye out for later in 2016:

There will be a series of Celebrity Signature ADEL Modules.

Basically modules tuned to specific specs of various famous musicians. I know that's vague, but it's what I've got for ya right now. But what we're talking about are various ADELs tuned for a certain sound that you can swap right into your current U/A series. NOT whole new IEMs with a slightly altered sound signature coming out every other month.

Example: The one that I do know is in the works (which I have heard), is designed for on-stage musicians for hearing protection. Full working ADEL giving that airy sound (like a manual ADEL being dialed all the way open), while totally blocking out outside noise. I'm not sure which musician is supposed to be associated with that model, but that's the effect it will add to your IEMs.

Have a good new years!

I know this is fruitless, but I'll just say it just because. I'll just throw in an artist recommendation of U2.... 
biggrin.gif
 kinda works considering there's a model called the U2 as well eh? 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #2,987 of 9,124

Good timing with this post XD Which cable are you using specifically? I'm now trying to get an idea for whether a different cable will negatively affect the SQ of these iems....let the quest begin!

I'm using the silver cable from the seller tyaudio from eBay.

I've tried with silver, SPC, and pure copper; I ended up liking silver the best.

Mind you though, the original cable is the bassiest (if you like your bass), anything else tame the bass impact a bit (though sub bass and extension are as good as ever)

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #2,988 of 9,124
One thing I'd be looking for in the manual ADEL module, is getting something about 30% more open. For instance, if I listen to music with the auto module out, the music is incredibly airy, but lacks bass completely. With the auto module in, the bass is a bit too much for me personally. Would like to find a sweet spot somewhere in the middle.

Is this the purpose of the manual module, or not? Also forgive me if this was answered somewhere in the abyss of 200 pages. I missed it if it was.

Canyon, you said the manual module is getting into some people's hands. Is this something we can contact support and ask to purchase?

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #2,989 of 9,124
  One thing I'd be looking for in the manual ADEL module, is getting something about 30% more open. For instance, if I listen to music with the auto module out, the music is incredibly airy, but lacks bass completely. With the auto module in, the bass is a bit too much for me personally. Would like to find a sweet spot somewhere in the middle.

Is this the purpose of the manual module, or not? Also forgive me if this was answered somewhere in the abyss of 200 pages. I missed it if it was.

Canyon, you said the manual module is getting into some people's hands. Is this something we can contact support and ask to purchase?

Hey Bob, a few things. This turned into a longer response (thank you morning coffee) than originally expected, so I'll give you the bullet points to your questions here, then you can scroll down further to read what turned into a much longer explanation than probably expected.

- Bass is gone without ADEL, by removing the ADEL module the seal between your ear and IEM is now open to atmosphere. Sorta like a foam comply tip that isn't fully expanded. To dial down the bass to your happy spot, frankly I think thats really more of a task for the EQ on your DAP/phone/source. ADEL doesn't work like the adjustable bass level dongle on the JH Audio cables do, that's basically what you're describing. 

- The purpose for the manual ADEL is to let the user find their sweet spot between open and closed, as well as matching to the individual ears impedance/pressure level, to really optimize and allow each ear to be matched perfectly. But really, think of it in terms of sometimes you can allow yourself the luxury of a setting where an open back headphone can really shine in a quiet while at your desk, while other times you're surrounded by alot more ambient noise (traveling, being at a coffee shop, or just plain being outside on a loud summer day when everybody seems to be mowing the lawn at the same time), now you can adjust how much of that noise you wish to block out. Giving you the freedom to really go between a more closed off or open airy listening experience, on the fly.

- I know the people who have been getting the manual ADELs were kickstarters, which makes sense. I could be totally wrong on this, but I sorta think if you called 64 Audio's customer service, you might be able to get a pair of manuals. That's a big maybe mind you. I build the ADELs here in Colorado, then they get sent off to 64 in Washington. Sorta their deal how they handle all that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even the quick answers got wordy, thank you caffeine...But here are a bit more in depth answers to the questions Bob had above, like he said, maybe they are answered and worded differently somewhere in the 200 page thread, but since nobody is going to go dig through all that, they will be here as well for new people to the discussion.

ADEL gets pulled out, taking the bass with it:
ADEL won't really work as a dial to tune your bass level, the bass level drops off completely when you take it out because you've broken the seal the iem has made with your ear. Its no longer a fully contained unit of pressure, now you have that bore going to your ear drum having a 1/4" hole to the outside world. Kinda like when you try to put universal iems in your friends ears and they doesn't even wait for the foam to fully expand before saying "yeah sounds good, man but where's the bottom end", leaving you saying "no no calm down, just give it a few sheeshhh". No? Maybe you haven't had friends like that, who knows, but it happens. Point is, thats basically the situation you've given yourself by taking the ADEL completely out. The ADEL lets that seal still be there, while letting the pressure get absorbed by the secondary ear drum, giving you that airy effect and sound stage as your ear hears in it's natural state.

Just as a refresher, I'll explain in different words how ADEL works, than they do on the website. There will be real over simplifications but ignore it for the overall picture I'm trying to paint.

Ok, so you're transmitting sound from one point to another: somebody's vocal chords vibrates, vibrates the air around you, your ear drum picks up those vibrations and it gets decoded in your brain. That's how your ear is designed to hear things.

With audio stuff, we're just replicating that whole process. Various formats of recording it and translating it, but that's what we're really doing. So when you have a setup like that device replicating the personals vocal chord vibration, an inch away from your ear drum, that introduces another factor. The pressure. As much as the headphone/iem is pushing that vibration in the air, it travels into your ear canal and pushes equally on your ear drum, then replicated to your brain. This is different than the original set up of somebody talking between there was so much more air to disperse the pressure, with an iem (or sealed headphone) it becomes much more like somebody having a capped empty plastic water bottle, it's a set amount of air to vibrate. Now the headphone is pushing on the end as it vibrates to replicate the sound, the pressure will greatly effect the only other thing in the equation that can possible move and absorb that fluctuating air. That would be your ear drum.

This is very roughly how the process works, but why does it matter? Because if you have a sensor that is SUPER sensitive to vibrations in the air thats just getting blasted with wind, its sorta working against itself isn't it? That pressure can be very fatiguing, thats why most people end up gradually increasing the volume over a listening session, to counteract how your body is naturally trying to overcome that blast and not hear it as much (again, there's much more science into it than that, but that's the basic deal).

So ADEL is there to absorb all that wind/pressure for you, this allows for a much more natural hearing experience because now your ear drum can hear that original sound, the way it was intended to be. Also allowing for safer listening since you're not continually serving up abuse to your ear drum.

The manual ADELs allow the user to control the amount of pressure absorbing. Rather than just a one-size-fits-all type approach. Different amounts also have different effects. Little to no ADEL, has a much more closed off and isolating sound like every other IEM on the market. Wide open ADEL lets you have the full effect, letting them absorb all that pressure, also allowing for the most natural hearing setting to your ear drum. It does allow more ambient noise in, but when music is playing, you don't really notice it unless its really loud outside and your volume is pretty low.

As a user, I originally wanted ADEL to be gone because I wanted that isolation when I was listening. But once I did a day with them closed, then dialed them open on the next, the much more natural feel and sound in something as simple as somebody's talking voice has made me never really dial them closed again. I expect the outside noise to be a bit louder, but I deal with it because the amount of what you gain is sooo much greater than minor irritation off outside noise in the very select times they may occur. And even then, there is an ADEL module in the works to give the user all the perks of ADEL being dialed wide open, while still blocking out ALL the outside noise (no production ETA on that yet tho)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this sorta removed the mental fog some of you may have possibly had on how ADEL works that maybe the videos/diagrams had left you with. If not, then sorry for the long post. I'm off to finish another batch of ADELs before we leave for CES on Monday.

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #2,991 of 9,124
So Canyon, I have a clarifying question. The more open you set the ADEL module, the more pneumatic pressure it absorbs right? So would that mean the best thing for your eardrums is to have it wide open?

That would make that module you were talking about in the works, of allowing 100% open while still isolating, a must-have!

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #2,992 of 9,124
So Canyon, I have a clarifying question. The more open you set the ADEL module, the more pneumatic pressure it absorbs right? So would that mean the best thing for your eardrums is to have it wide open?

That would make that module you were talking about in the works, of allowing 100% open while still isolating, a must-have!

Bingo! Trust me, it's the module I'm also really wanting to put in my A12s ASAP!

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #2,995 of 9,124
When are the mic' cables going to be available? Last night one of the plastic pieces near the end of the cable(where it plugs into the CIEM) snapped off and I was going to get the mic cable next anyway.

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #2,996 of 9,124
When are the mic' cables going to be available? Last night one of the plastic pieces near the end of the cable(where it plugs into the CIEM) snapped off and I was going to get the mic cable next anyway.

I do not know, that's something that's purely a 64 Audio thing. I can ask, once everybody gets into town for CES Monday/Tuesday and post a reply, but you'll probably get a quicker response calling their office (or email). I've never planned to use a mic cable, so it's not something I've looked into with them.

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #2,997 of 9,124

First post as well as first review here, sorry if I step on anyone's toes.

Disclaimer:
- I was not sponsored an A12 by 64 Audio to write this review.
- My A12 has only been tested on the Auto Adel Module. I do not have any other modules to test with.
- Stock cables were used for all IEMs unless otherwise stated.
- I do not own any other of the IEMs mentioned in this post other than 1964's A12 and UM's Merlin.
- I do not own any DAPs mentioned except the AK240 (sold) and AK240SS (current).
- All auditions were done in-shop for a few hours at a time.

Foreword
I won't claim to be an audiophile; I’m more of an enthusiast. Everything in this post is solely my unadulterated opinion and anyone is free to disagree with me. I welcome and will answer any questions to the best of my knowledge, time permitting.

The review is based on both the custom and the demo version of the A12. Any comparisons done were based on the universal versions of the IEMs unless otherwise stated.

Service
Received my A12s for the third time right before New Year's after refitting, then refitting and repairing of the bass drivers on the right side. As this isn't my first pair of customs, I understood the potential complications of a pair of CIEMs and have no qualms with refitting. Kudos to the peeps from 64 Audio especially Artem from repairs/refits and vitaliy belo who facilitated my initial order before the A12 launched.

First of all, I must say that 64 Audio has by far, the best customer service I have encountered. Although occasionally, response times were understandably tardy due to Thanksgiving and Christmas, emails were usually replied within 3 working days tops. Turnaround time took about 2 months from the initial order in late August to receiving my package in late October. Refit and repairs were much quicker at 2 weeks back and forth for both times I had to RMA my A12s.

Isolation
Compared to my other pair of customs which I still use, the isolation for the A12 doesn't match up even though the third fit was significantly better than the previous two. Sound, especially voices, are prone to leaking through which I have not experienced with my UM Merlin even though it has a bore for the dynamic driver. But based on what @Canyon Runner says, I am guessing the Adel module has the tendency to leak mid to high frequencies. It *might* very well be a fit issue, so dissenting opinions and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I am really looking forward to the Adel module which isolates better.

As a user, I originally wanted ADEL to be gone because I wanted that isolation when I was listening.

And even then, there is an ADEL module in the works to give the user all the perks of ADEL being dialed wide open, while still blocking out ALL the outside noise (no production ETA on that yet tho)

Fitting
The first two fits for me were inadequate. First time round was a loose fit on both sides Cymba, next was a loose fit on the right side Cymba. For the most recent refit, I experienced pain in the canals of the left ear after using it for roughly an hour. Shortly afterwards, the right side started to hurt and I thought I would need another refit. I believe it was due to the canal of the A12s being deeper than what I am used to, causing soreness. Interestingly enough after the third day, I did not feel pain after wearing it. I'll have to see in the next few days to come whether this is a fit issue.

Sound
DAP: AK240, AK240SS, AK380, AK Junior, LG G2
Source: FLAC, DSD, DSF, WAV
Cable: Stock

I had the opportunity to audit the A12s in Singapore at Music Sanctuary and E1 audio before placing the order, so I knew what to expect after receiving the custom version. What charmed me about the demo A12s was how insanely detailed and perfect it sounded with my AK240. To be honest, I didn't like the A12s at first try. I though the vocals were recessed and muddy. But it did pass my first test of zero sibilance and I continued with my test tracks. I detest sibilance so much so that I would stop my audit and ask for something else if the IEM failed my sibilance test.

Moving forward, there was a sweet richness to the sound coming forth from the A12s; like liquid gold. It is a richness that I have never experienced with any other IEM as of yet. I have tried almost all the flagships that are available for audit in Singapore, and not once have I found anything as rich and thick. Alas, the vocals were not muddy but just very thick.

Lows
As I have had the (mis)fortune of getting to try my A12 without bass on one side, I daresay that there is little to no bass bleed to the Mids. I half expected the bass to have bled into the Mids causing the thickness of vocals which I initially mistook for muddiness.

Overall bass is punchy while remaining textured, layered, and incredibly detailed. The separation of the low frequencies were astounding. On the other hand, I found it to be overwhelming on tracks with enhanced bass which isn't really a problem with the A12s per se, but more of the mastering of the tracks. I'm sure there have been others whom might've mentioned that the bass is non-enhanced. It is only there when the track has bass and doesn't "bassify" Bach or Mozart.

Mids
Perhaps I might have oversold the part about "no bass bleeding" due to the fact that it was exclusively tested on female vocals in the one day I was testing it before sending it back. Male vocals sound bassier than I recall them being on my Merlins and HiFi, though not overwhelmingly so.

After further testing, I concluded that the Mids are rather recessed when compared against my extremely forward Merlins with a plusSound Type-6 Litz 8-Core copper cable courtesy of a local DIY-er. Against my reference HiFi setup, I felt the vocal distance to be even further. I am aware of ongoing discussions in the thread with regards to certain tips causing darkness or muddiness, but as this is a custom fit it might very well be the A12's unique sound signature. Don't get me wrong though, the Mids of the A12s were easily on par or even exceeded other flagships that I have tested.

Maybe I just desire a perfect IEM which does everything that I want perfectly, but I think the Mids are one aspect where the A12 can really be improved upon with a silver upgrade cable for a brighter tinge to this area.

Highs
I'll be the first to tell you I'm no treble-head. Even so, the high decays are simply addicting. The highs sound so much smoother than the Merlins which is known for enhanced to almost artificial brightness.

To be honest I don't have anything to complain about this area nor do I have anything to especially praise for it either. It just sounds so.. right.

Soundstage
I believe the right term for sound-staging for IEMs would be frequency separation, which my guess is mainly due to the placing of drivers and resonance within the shell. I have a decent HiFi setup at home and would always compare against them for reference when auditing IEMs. The A12 has a semblance to a HiFi setup with its spacious and airy sound and doesn’t sound like a traditional IEM with a crammed sound signature.

I know about the soundstage fiasco between the Layla and A12. Having audited both in universal form, the A12 wins solely based on this. The separation is even better in custom form which is to be expected anyway. As I cost-prohibitively do not own a custom Layla, I am in no position to attempt to chime in to the debate apart from comparisons on universals.

Conclusion
Pros: The A12 simply picks up everything from micro-details down to recording flaws and presents them straight out. Very warm sounding and musical while maintaining accuracy of the source.

Cons: Isolation is lacking with conversations leaking in, but not intrusive to the point enjoyment is lost. Vocals are a tad laid back for my tastes, more apparent for male vocals which a good silver cable would be able to resolve.

Having tried the demo flagships from Nobel, JH, EarWerks, Rhines, Custom Art, AAW, ACS, FitEar, UE, Heir Audio, Unique Melody, Empire, amongst others, including newer brands like HUM, Jomo Audio, the A12 won me over.
<Shameless Advertisement> I would like to especially thank Calvin from Music Sanctuary for being so gracious to offer to send my A12 back with their impressions shipment for the two refits. </Shameless Advertisement>

Would I recommend the A12? Absolutely! I personally have recommended this to three of my friends, the first which ordered together with me and the other two of which have placed their orders during the Black Friday sale. He had the fortune to have no fit nor driver issues, but I guess that’s luck.

Sometimes you know that you’ve found a great setup, one which you’d be satisfied with at least for the coming years. The A12 paired with the AK240SS might just do it for me. Until the next poison, cheers!

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #2,998 of 9,124
Great review. I'll definitely be passing along the growing tally of people wanting an isolating ADEL. It almost sounds to me that you would have liked the A10 more, it's much more the reference monitor between the A10/A12s. It's crisper. Sorta gets compared as A10 being suited for reference/studio use and A12s matching far better for a live sound, has that little extra bit of mid-bass.

I was so torn between the two, I spent 2 hours sitting there A/B-ing over and over. Both fantastic, slightly different flavors.

Again, very well thought out review!

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #2,999 of 9,124
@cyberkidd 

Thanks for a great review.  You are clearly a very analytical listener who knows what they want.  That really helps make a review useful. My observations with the A12s are similar except I judge the midrange and vocals to be right where they ought to be and others by comparison are forward.  Personal taste or point of reference is obviously different.

My experience with conversations leaking through is slightly different.  Even if I turn the music off I can't hear my wife when she speaks directly to me.  Seriously though, in an airplane when the flight attendant asks me a question I can understand but usually take out the IEM nearest to them to hear them.  How much conversation leaks through may be dependent on our hearing acuity.  I'm older so it's not a bother to me.  

Enjoy the A12s!

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #3,000 of 9,124
  Great review. I'll definitely be passing along the growing tally of people wanting an isolating ADEL. It almost sounds to me that you would have liked the A10 more, it's much more the reference monitor between the A10/A12s. It's crisper. Sorta gets compared as A10 being suited for reference/studio use and A12s matching far better for a live sound, has that little extra bit of mid-bass.

I was so torn between the two, I spent 2 hours sitting there A/B-ing over and over. Both fantastic, slightly different flavors.

Again, very well thought out review!

From this, can I take it as the Adel does leak ambient noise? 

I did try the A10 but I enjoyed the A12 significantly more due to its dynamism which brought forth PrAT and an overall more likable sound signature to me.I wasn't complaining about the bass though, just a passing mention that a good silver cable would tame the bass and bring forward the Mids. 

@cyberkidd 

Thanks for a great review.  You are clearly a very analytical listener who knows what they want.  That really helps make a review useful. My observations with the A12s are similar except I judge the midrange and vocals to be right where they ought to be and others by comparison are forward.  Personal taste or point of reference is obviously different.

My experience with conversations leaking through is slightly different.  Even if I turn the music off I can't hear my wife when she speaks directly to me.  Seriously though, in an airplane when the flight attendant asks me a question I can understand but usually take out the IEM nearest to them to hear them.  How much conversation leaks through may be dependent on our hearing acuity.  I'm older so it's not a bother to me.  

Enjoy the A12s!

You're right about the Mids. I do have a very specific requirement for Midrange and the A12 exceeds my expectations in every other aspect save for the Mids, which are really quite close to my ideal. 

Then again, the sound signature might alter after a longer "burn-in" which probably doesn't have anything to do with the drivers but more so of the soldering and internal wiring. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back