1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Nov 13, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #2,686 of 9,124
  Did any one describe A12 from source matching standpoint?

My subjective ratings:
1. Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9300): 5.0/10
2. S3+Oppo HA2: 5.5/10
3. S3+Teac HA 50: 6.0/10
4. S3+Chord Mojo: 7.0/10 (less thump in bass and weaker tone when compared to #2 or #3, I get nice synergy with D5000 but not so much with A12)
5. HM-901: 8.0/10
6. DX100: 8.5/10 (wider soundstage compared to #1)
7. DX100 + Alo Continental V3: 9/10 (improved tone)

I wonder if you agree / how do you find it with LG V10, HTC A9 or Continental Dual Mono and other sources (dacs/amps/phones)?

Thanks for this.

How do you rate the Chord Mojo compared to your DAPs? Or more specifically, my question is: Would you say that there was a lack of synergy between the A12 and Mojo, or would you probably rate the HM-901 and the DX100 higher on any IEM (not just the a12)?

Many thanks in advance.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #2,687 of 9,124
 I played a couple of acoustic / folksy tracks, and I was immediately freaked out thinking they may not have gone through QC…..that the  BA’s that produce the highs  were not hooked up…..there just didn’t seem to be any sparkly highs. I changed to some electronic based music, and yes…..there were highs.

Once I listen for several minutes…..I get used to the balanced sound (lows, mids, highs), and I really, really enjoy them. At first, the sound didn’t wow me due to the lack of highs, but listening for several minutes is very satisfying. Honestly, I would rather have diminished highs versus screechy or piercing highs…..I have no idea if that is what I would have gotten with other brands or not since these are my first CIEMs.

With further reflection….the A10’s potentially would  have been the perfect set for me. In a sense, I’m glad I couldn’t demo both……I really would have hated to come to the conclusion that I needed to spend another $800 to get the sound I really wanted. I tried to EQ for more highs using the X5, but that made the sound thin and unnatural.   

To elaborate on this question of the highs. Utilizing the Bizet track below, I compared the sound between the A6 / FiiO X5ii, Fostex TH900 / FiiO X5ii, A6/AURALiC Vega & Taurus, Fostex TH900/AURALiC Vega & Taurus. 

The A6's on both sources didn't have the attack of the strings, and there wasn't a sound of cymbal crash at the end. There was good midrange sound and the lows were represented, but the highs really make / break this particularly piece of music (to me). I did feel that they scaled well from the FiiO to the AURALiC source/amp. I'm sure it isn't a fair comparison from the A6 to the Fostex, but I wanted to get a sense of the difference in the energy up top.  

Just want to reiterate that I'm not completely dissatisfied with their sound, I just wish there was a little more energy in the higher frequencies......but at the same time, too much would make them obnoxious. So in that regard (too little versus too much), I'm totally satisfied :) And, I'm very happy with the isolation - driving freeway speeds with the windows down - could barely perceive any outside noise at all. 

I'm looking forward to getting them back - and hopefully the comfort level will be good - so I can enjoy them for hours per listening session. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2,688 of 9,124

Thanks for this.

How do you rate the Chord Mojo compared to your DAPs? Or more specifically, my question is: Would you say that there was a lack of synergy between the A12 and Mojo, or would you probably rate the HM-901 and the DX100 higher on any IEM (not just the a12)?

Many thanks in advance.

Denon D5000 sounds better on Mojo.
In terms of other IEMs: I have just listened to VSonic GR07 on both devices and I find the differences much less distict then with A12.
DX100 and Mojo are very close to each other with GR07. Mojo is a bit brighter, vivid, cleaner while DX100 sounds a bit more relaxed and perhaps far away.
I don't think any of them is better on GR07 - it comes down to presentation style you prefer.

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #2,689 of 9,124
  Denon D5000 sounds better on Mojo.
In terms of other IEMs: I have just listened to VSonic GR07 on both devices and I find the differences much less distict then with A12.
DX100 and Mojo are very close to each other with GR07. Mojo is a bit brighter, vivid, cleaner while DX100 sounds a bit more relaxed and perhaps far away.
I don't think any of them is better on GR07 - it comes down to presentation style you prefer.

Ok this is interesting because consensus on the Mojo thread is that it sounds very good with capable IEMs, which would lead one to think that it should shine with the flagship A12 and come out ahead of those DAPs (The mojo thread is full of pictures with kilobuck daps used as transport). Maybe the Mojo and the ADEL tech aren't best of friends? As for the GR07, it's expected that they all sound closer on a less capable/revealing IEM.

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #2,690 of 9,124

Ok this is interesting because consensus on the Mojo thread is that it sounds very good with capable IEMs, which would lead one to think that it should shine with the flagship A12 and come out ahead of those DAPs (The mojo thread is full of pictures with kilobuck daps used as transport). Maybe the Mojo and the ADEL tech aren't best of friends? As for the GR07, it's expected that they all sound closer on a less capable/revealing IEM.

I agree that Mojo sounds very good with capable IEMs. It sounds very good with A12 too.
DX100 is just a _bit_ better with A12 IMO. I find bass of DX100 hitting a bit deeper and the instruments sounding more natural to my ears with DX100 and HM-901.
My reference piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGPbewgKZhc

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #2,691 of 9,124
Just received my A6! I'd ordered the left faceplate in ash but they made them both purple heart:

I actually do think the matched faceplates look classy and am enjoying them too much to RMA. As for the sound, my quick impression after < 48 hours of listening is that they are incredibly balanced across the musical spectrum. Initially I felt the highs lacked extension and sparkle, perhaps still feel that way on cymbal crashes BUT my main conclusion is that the highs are accurate and once one acclamates to it they sound somehow quite correct. Both male and female vocals are completely grain free and even on piano recordings that can be shrill on other IEM'S there is a beautiful, sibilance free naturalness to the A6. Similarly, the lows lack the visceral quality of some dynamics but man, they are so beautifully controlled, tuneful rather than bloated, and never bleed into the mids. As for these mids I am enjoying their quality very much, and the word that captures the sound best is "musical"...nothing boosted, nothing splashy or flashy but rather an overall coherence leading to the most balanced presentation I've ever heard.in an IEM. 

As for soundstage, it is quite wide, fairly tall but perhaps not exceptionally deep. Instrument separation and placement is quite good, as is detail retrieval. As for sources, I can drive them very easily from my DX90 on mid-gain, or my iDSD micro at lowest IEM match setting and "eco" (low) gain. They do scale up a bit with the iDSD micro but I don't find the SQ to be markedly different.

Some have reported average lower volume settings to achieve satisfying listening levels with Adel-equiped IEM's, and in general from my brief experience with the A6 I agree. One can hope this will protect hearing but I recognize that only time will tell.

For comparison, I enjoy my Fidue A83''s as well but they are more akin to the house with curb appeal that may not satisfy one's needs for a longterm home. The A83 have more overt sparkle and can be good fun, but the trade off is that they can be shrill and brittle on some recordings, which leads to fatigue. More reminiscent of my Sennheiser HD600's, the A6 never present anything other than surpassing musicality, and I have stayed up too late the last two nights re-discovering my collection of 16 and 24 bit FLAC's...I can listen to the A6 for hours with no fatigue, just a calmly energizing enjoyment of the music.

Summary: After a very brief reaction of "Meh" I have quickly come to recognize and appreciate the understated but very special virtues of the A6. They are unassuming but do not mistake that for lack of exceptional quality. Key attributes are balance, musicality, detail retrieval and superior soundstage and instrument separation / placement (perhaps related to the Adel module). Above all is the A6's coherence. Even with complicated musical content they always remain under control. They may lack that "WOW" factor at first hearing and may not be best for certain genres or listeners for whom fun trumps accuracy. For me, however, I am enjoying the balanced, musical and coherent presentation of the A6 very much and look forward to more longterm listening. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2,692 of 9,124
  Just received my A6! I'd ordered the left faceplate in ash but they made them both purple heart:

I actually do think the matched faceplates look classy and am enjoying them too much to RMA. As for the sound, my quick impression after < 48 hours of listening is that they are incredibly balanced across the musical spectrum. Initially I felt the highs lacked extension and sparkle, perhaps still feel that way on cymbal crashes BUT my main conclusion is that the highs are accurate and once one acclimates to it they sound somehow quite correct. Both male and female vocals are completely grain free and even on piano recordings that can be shrill on other IEM'S there is a beautiful, sibilance free naturalness to the A6. Similarly, the lows lack the visceral quality of some dynamics but man, they are so beautifully controlled, tuneful rather than bloated, and never bleed into the mids. As for these mids I am enjoying their quality very much, and the word that captures the sound best is "musical"...nothing boosted, nothing splashy or flashy but rather an overall coherence leading to the most balanced presentation I've ever heard.in an IEM. 

Summary: After a very brief reaction of "Meh" I have quickly come to recognize and appreciate the understated but very special virtues of the A6. They are unassuming but do not mistake that for lack of exceptional quality. Key attributes are balance, musicality, detail retrieval and superior soundstage and instrument separation / placement (perhaps related to the Adel module). Above all is the A6's coherence. Even with complicated musical content they always remain under control. They may lack that "WOW" factor at first hearing and may not be best for certain genres or listeners for whom fun trumps accuracy. For me, however, I am enjoying the balanced, musical and coherent presentation of the A6 very much and look forward to more longterm listening. 

I love the look of those! I think you inadvertently chose a fantastic appearance :) 

That is amazing how similar my impressions mirror yours - you worded it in a much more coherent manner. That makes me feel a lot better that you have the same impressions of the sound as I do, and I agree completely with your assessment - I'm looking forward to getting mine back :) 

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #2,693 of 9,124
  I love the look of those! I think you inadvertently chose a fantastic appearance :) 

That is amazing how similar my impressions mirror yours - you worded it in a much more coherent manner. That makes me feel a lot better that you have the same impressions of the sound as I do, and I agree completely with your assessment - I'm looking forward to getting mine back :) 

Thanks Afghan Vet. I hope you receive your A6's back soon and enjoy them as much as I do.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #2,694 of 9,124
  They may lack that "WOW" factor at first hearing and may not be best for certain genres or listeners for whom fun trumps accuracy. 

Heh, not for me. I used binaural tracks and very quickly noticed that something was a bit different. It just sounded... natural, as if I was hearing things in real life rather than through the medium of transducers. At that moment, the IEMs disappeared, becoming transparent - and so too did my physical bearings, immersed in the wind and leaves flowing through the sprawling aspen forest of the binaural recording. 

With that said, it wasn't perfect, but it really transported me into the music like no other IEM has done or will probably ever do until the next revision of 1964 ADEL 'phones. To be more specific, to my ears, it lacked a bit of vertical soundstage, but if it didn't then I dare say it would be perfect, very seriously. I'm really excited about what could come after current generation. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #2,696 of 9,124
The new case looks weaker than my current 1964 case that came with my A12's. The new one has a better humidifier, better storage for the CIEMs and slots for the modules. Can anyone with the new and old case verify if the new case is as "stout" as the old one?

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #2,697 of 9,124
The new case looks weaker than my current 1964 case that came with my A12's. The new one has a better humidifier, better storage for the CIEMs and slots for the modules. Can anyone with the new and old case verify if the new case is as "stout" as the old one?

If you had subscribed to 1964 YouTube channel you'd have been notified some weeks ago about a new vid upload. It wasn't public though so can't find it through searches.

Anyhow, well it was quite fun to watch. Rest assured your new case whistood the pressure of a normal sedan old car going over it slowly without any damage.

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #2,698 of 9,124

If you had subscribed to 1964 YouTube channel you'd have been notified some weeks ago about a new vid upload. It wasn't public though so can't find it through searches.

Anyhow, well it was quite fun to watch. Rest assured your new case whistood the pressure of a normal sedan old car going over it slowly without any damage.

They ended up stepping on the gas really hard with the case under wheel which shot the case across the street. The IEMs were ok haha

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #2,699 of 9,124

They ended up stepping on the gas really hard with the case under wheel which shot the case across the street. The IEMs were ok haha

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back