1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Nov 10, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #2,657 of 9,124
From all of my research, it seems as though they recommend the a8 specifically when bass is required (bass player, drums, dj). The bass response is the same in both models, but there is less mid and treble in the a8. Just what I have gathered.

I think it depends on what instrument you play. I would refer to their chart on their site. I don't own the A12s, but for drums and bass the A8 is great. But then I've seen Beyoncé and Jay Z with A12s and would imagine that they must like some good low end on their mix. Best bet would be to call them if no one else chimes in here.

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #2,659 of 9,124
...The bass response is the same in both models [A12 & A8], but there is less mid and treble in the a8. Just what I have gathered.

The bass will be somewhat different. Some info gleaned from the Kickstarter web Q&A sessions and talking with Vitaliy at the Seattle summer meet.

The V8 came about by taking the V6-Stage and doubling the bass drivers from 2 to 4. The A6 is a V6-Stage + ADEL technology and the A8 is the V8 + ADEL (and possibly some tweaking and refinements as well). Vitaliy (President of 64 Audio) has stated the A2 through A8 use the same drivers as the V series.

The A12 is an entirely new development with new BA drivers built specifically for 64 Audio. The A10 takes the A12 and reduces the bass drivers from 4 to 2.

(All IIRC, corrections welcome).

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #2,660 of 9,124
  I received my A6 yesterday - first pairs of CIEMs - getting used to the fit, and starting to really fall in love with the sound. 

Congratulations! They are gorgeous, nice design. Mine are on order...when you have time would love to hear your impressions of the sound signature.

Cheers!

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #2,664 of 9,124
The bass will be somewhat different. Some info gleaned from the Kickstarter web Q&A sessions and talking with Vitaliy at the Seattle summer meet.

The V8 came about by taking the V6-Stage and doubling the bass drivers from 2 to 4. The A6 is a V6-Stage + ADEL technology and the A8 is the V8 + ADEL (and possibly some tweaking and refinements as well). Vitaliy (President of 64 Audio) has stated the A2 through A8 use the same drivers as the V series.

The A12 is an entirely new development with new BA drivers built specifically for 64 Audio. The A10 takes the A12 and reduces the bass drivers from 4 to 2.

(All IIRC, corrections welcome).

Hey eric, did you get a chance to a/b the SM64s yet? XD

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #2,665 of 9,124

I received my A6 yesterday - first pairs of CIEMs - getting used to the fit, and starting to really fall in love with the sound. 

Hmmm, interesting - is that their new case? I got my U12's yesterday but no case as of yet! But it proves they're sending them to SOME people haha

It is the new case.....it seemed that some of the folks that received the initial Adel models were still getting the older case......I was very stoked to get the new case - I really like the design and the size - perfect for me as I travel every week for work. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #2,666 of 9,124
  It is the new case.....it seemed that some of the folks that received the initial Adel models were still getting the older case......I was very stoked to get the new case - I really like the design and the size - perfect for me as I travel every week for work. 

Haha great! Well as far as we've been told all backers will get the new case, so we just have to wait a while :D

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #2,667 of 9,124

Congratulations! They are gorgeous, nice design. Mine are on order...when you have time would love to hear your impressions of the sound signature.

Cheers!

Thanks! I really appreciate that :) I'll certainly post some puny impressions by the end of the week :) I don't have experience to be able to compare / contrast with other earphones, but I can provide impressions about their overall sound quality. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #2,668 of 9,124
Hey eric, did you get a chance to a/b the SM64s yet? XD

Yes. To my ears the the A12 has a small increase in treble over the SM64, with better tone and detail. With the ADEL soundstage, instrument placement and separation is amazing, which on quality recordings often results in sounds from an instrument (including treble) being focused from a specific location within the soundstage.

Switching to the SM64 (and other non ADEL phones) gives an immediate sense of congestion/confusion to the music, which subsides quite a bit after a minute for my brain to adjust. After which, the SM64 seems a decent performer and those who enjoyed the SM64 will likely appreciate the A12. Standing out the most was the upper mids & lower treble (including female vocals) of the SM64 coming across more forward (and a bit shouty vs. the A12). I wonder if this is what some are perceiving as the A12 having less treble. If so, I suspect it's just a matter of brain burn-in to the A12 signature and the ADEL.

Nov 11, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #2,669 of 9,124
Yes. To my ears the the A12 has a small increase in treble over the SM64, with better tone and detail. With the ADEL soundstage, instrument placement and separation is amazing, which on quality recordings often results in sounds from an instrument (including treble) being focused from a specific location within the soundstage.

Switching to the SM64 (and other non ADEL phones) gives an immediate sense of congestion/confusion to the music, which subsides quite a bit after a minute for my brain to adjust. After which, the SM64 seems a decent performer and those who enjoyed the SM64 will likely appreciate the A12. Standing out the most was 5he upper mids & lower treble (including female vocals) of the SM64 coming across more forward (and a bit shouty vs. the A12). I wonder if this is what some are perceiving as the A12 having less treble. If so, I suspect it's just a matter of brain burn-in to the A12 signature and the ADEL.

Thanks XD It's amazing how being used to something can make other stuff feel worse. It's taking me a while to get used to the sound of the U12's (basically the same as the A12's right? A12's better fit as custom, but I can't imagine the treble being particularly different)/ 

Nov 11, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #2,670 of 9,124
Thanks XD It's amazing how being used to something can make other stuff feel worse. It's taking me a while to get used to the sound of the U12's (basically the same as the A12's right? A12's better fit as custom, but I can't imagine the treble being particularly different)/ 

It think that may be it. I could see if coming from regular time with the SM64 how the initial impression of the A12 could be of less upper mid energy. Until you get hooked on the clarity, details and soundstage of the A12, that is!

AFAIK, the guts of the U12 are the same as the A12. FYI, my A12 are universal.

As others have stated, the Complys tips attenuate treble so I avoid them. In addition I avoid tips that in any way shroud the end of an IEM's nozzle. In other words any part of the tip that overhangs the end of the nozzle must be of equal or greater diameter than the nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back