1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Nov 7, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #2,626 of 9,124
With the comply tips, while isolation may be better, sound could get slightly muffled (I believe this was discussed earlier by the folks who received their U6 & U8s). I have since switched to Spinfits, which feels better. Do note for the Spinfits, do not over insert to the point the tip won't be able to move around freely.

If I'm using the medium comply tips what size Spinfits should I get?  Medium as well?  

Nov 7, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #2,628 of 9,124
Have you posted any impressions? :D

So, I got mine yesterday. I absolutely don't think there's such a thing as driver 'burn in',  but I do believe in 'brain burn in'. I'm having an odd experience - I've come from some Earsonic's SM64s and not quite sure what to think. Don't get me wrong, the U12's are clearly excellent, it's just that the SM64's seem to have slightly better treble - which is confusing the heck out of me. HOWEVER, I'm also wondering if it's in part due to the fact that the U12 has much better capabilities at separating treble, so is playing what is actually there, rather than a sort of 'driver compressed' version of that.
What do you guys think? 

In a vacuum though, I'd say this: The U12's are great. They have incredibly layered bass, almost like dynamic drivers, but with a much tighter performance. The rest of the music just sounds incredibly natural. If you're after analytical iems, maybe these are not for you - they certainly don't hide anything (like, literally, you can hear EVERYTHING in an uncompressed track). BUT, the highs aren't necessarily very forward. 

They make for a very natural, full, slightly warm sound, and are definitely the closest I've heard that match over ear cans. 

But do let me know your thoughts re the treble - I assume I'm wrong somewhere, there's no way that 12 driver iems of this calibre should be 'worse' right? (Yes, I know it's not all about drivers). 
My plan is to listen to these for ages then go back to the SM64s for a bit to see if thats actually the case, or if it's just my brain not liking change haha!

Wait U12? I could have sworn you were in for an A8!

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #2,631 of 9,124
Got my U12's yesterday afternoon!

Initial impressions - I've only had the opportunity to listen to some music from either an iPhone (5s) or iPad (Air 2). That said, I'm very impressed with what I've heard so far. Compared to my Westone 4R's, which I'll continue to use at the gym and casual listening, the U12's have a better soundstage, great instrument separation, and more bass (but not too much to make it muddy). Some stuff I've listened to includes:

Alabama Shakes - Don't Wanna Fight
Adele - Hello
John Mark McMillan - Live at the Knight (uncompressed)
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (uncompressed)

Thus far, I really like the sound signature, A LOT.

Looking forward to doing more tip comparison, but so far I've tried the stock Comply and Spinfits. I still prefer something with slightly more penetration into the ear canal, but I've been able to get a good seal with both of these tips so far.

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #2,632 of 9,124
Got my U12's yesterday afternoon!

Initial impressions - I've only had the opportunity to listen to some music from either an iPhone (5s) or iPad (Air 2). That said, I'm very impressed with what I've heard so far. Compared to my Westone 4R's, which I'll continue to use at the gym and casual listening, the U12's have a better soundstage, great instrument separation, and more bass (but too much to make it muddy). 

Do you mean "not" too much to make it muddy? These iems sure aint muddy XD

Wait U12? I could have sworn you were in for an A8!

Haha no - I backed the U8s for ages then upgraded when the U12s were an option. I prefer universals at the moment, for a few reasons :D

Hmmm. This seems odd.

First let me say I'm totally in love with my A12 universals! They are everything I hoped for and then more.

I agree with tmorterlaing, at this price treble extension, tone & detail should be nearly unmatched (especially with an in-ear).

Thankfully my experience has the A12's repeatedly showing themselves to be jaw droppingly good (including the treble). In fact, if there was anything I would nitpick on it would be the treble having a wee bit too much sparkle. I've never felt them lacking in treble, and find incredible detail without resorting to artificially boosted treble as with the Beyer T90. For instance, taking a well recorded track with a clear hit on the cymbal and on most all headphones I find it sounds either somewhat dull, smeared, or overly metallic (i.e., hitting sheet metal rather than brass). With the A12 it sounds so clear, bright and natural it's as if I'm right in the room with the drummer. The rimshot as another I find headphones struggling to get right that the A12 delivers on nicely.

Maybe it's my gear? I'm driving them with the Project Ember amp which has always handled these multi-driver IEMs really well. I just got the Samsung S6 Egde+ so this weekend I'll copy some music to it and see how it handles a 12 driver headphone.

A pair of SM64 are sitting in my drawer so I'll give them a run too, and report back what I hear.

-Eric

Something has just occurred to me that you said here actually: "somewhat dull, smeared, or overly metallic"
I'm now wondering if actually what I'm hearing isn't a 'lack' of treble, but an iem that's tuned ore accurately. If the SM64s are just a bit over metallic, maybe my ears are just used to hearing something which is SLIGHTLY too tinny on the treble. The U12's absolutely don't lack treble, it just sounds different, and only seems to stand out on particularly high freq sounds. Maybe what the extra drivers are doing compared to waht Im used to is sort of 'spacing out' the high frequency sounds, so cymbals sound more realistic, but really high shrill sounds are just as capably handled.

The only thing is, I have no idea how to differentiate that. To a layman, cheaper headphones may sound better because of that V-shaped sound where trebles is SUPER sharp and Bass is REALLY rumbly, but when you get used to better quality sound, you learn that quantity is beaten by quality. As such, I'm wondering if what I'm experiencing is the same thing again - my 'cheaper' iems in this case are the SM64s (not the apple earpod things) and even though Im used to GOOD sound, I'm not actually used to genuinely GREAT sound. 

OR

The treble in the U12s is actually just surprisingly crap and I'm using post purchase cognitive dissonance to make myself feel better. I REALLY hope it's not the latter, and could do with you guys to compare to SM64s and some other iems and let me know what you think. XD

Hope all the above made sense. I also think the former opinion is probably correct, but could do with someone backing that opinion, even if just to make me feel better hahaha!

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #2,633 of 9,124
@cskippy, I would get the set of 3 sizes from Empire Ears ($20 for 3). I Primarily use the small Complys, but can also use the mediums. When I tried the medium Spinfit, it felt awkward, as these go in deepen in your ear canal, so for Spinfits I use the Small or extra small.

Also, for the person wanting a K10 comparison, Jason compared them on his thread and there was another review here as well comparing both.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/769843/fit-for-a-bat-flagship-iems-shootout-8-ct6e-7-h8p-6-jh13-5-k10-4-bd4-2-3-a12-2-w500-1-se5u#post_11647614

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #2,634 of 9,124
@tmorterlaing, what tips are you using? Try the Spinfits. The Complys can muddy up the sound depending on how you insert them. Check the review another user posted on tips to see his preferences for sound and they may help you.

Nov 7, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #2,635 of 9,124
@tmorterlaing, what tips are you using? Try the Spinfits. The Complys can muddy up the sound depending on how you insert them. Check the review another user posted on tips to see his preferences for sound and they may help you.

So I need to buy some spinfits? I assume I wasn't supposed to get them with the headphones? :D
Also, would the 'muddying' be that substantial? Ie enough to drastically change it?

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #2,637 of 9,124
  So I need to buy some spinfits? I assume I wasn't supposed to get them with the headphones? :D
Also, would the 'muddying' be that substantial? Ie enough to drastically change it?

I think it's worth buying and trying the Spinfits. Maybe that's just me, but I think trying as many tips as possible is worth the initial expense. Then when you find what you prefer most, you can stock up on them. 

For me it's a lot like guitar strings. I've tried 5-6 different kinds of strings on my newest guitar, and finally discovered the ones I prefer the most. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #2,639 of 9,124
Again, is the cost of the adel technology justified? Specifically, in the v6s vs. A6

It certainly seems that way from the impressions so far - even if the audio difference is negligible, the lack of audio fatigue is absolutely not a placebo - it's very effective. I havent A/Bed anything ADEL vs. not, but I gather it helps the sound a bit too. For me the U12s certainly don't sound 'compressed' and 'pressurised' if that makes any sense. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #2,640 of 9,124
  It certainly seems that way from the impressions so far - even if the audio difference is negligible, the lack of audio fatigue is absolutely not a placebo - it's very effective. I havent A/Bed anything ADEL vs. not, but I gather it helps the sound a bit too. For me the U12s certainly don't sound 'compressed' and 'pressurised' if that makes any sense. 

My very limited (1 day) experience with the U12 vs. the W4R is that I've taken about 5-6 db off my listening (according to Can Opener) and it sounds just as loud, if not slightly louder than I'm used to listening. So I agree that the lack of fatigue is not a placebo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back