1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 3, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #468 of 9,124
I assume that was a typo, and you're asking about the Adele headphones. What I find interesting is how different people perceive the sound on the same headphones. I really like the SM 64, it fits me great, has detailed, open sound. The one problem I have with them is I don't find the bass to be adequate. I find the bass to be good quality, but any time I have to listen to music and try to focus to hear the bass, to me that's insufficient bass quantity. It's very interesting how different people report so differently on the same information. Is it hearing difference, sample variability?

Apart from personal preference and perception, I guess the difference is mainly caused by the high impedance.  SM64, to me, is an IEM which is difficult to drive well.  I was not very impressed when I first listened to it using an iPhone.  I was still not very impressed when I used it on an iMod with the UHA-6S MKII amp.  This changed when I plugged my SM64 into WA7 - much more detailed, and finally some nice bass (sufficient in terms of quantity).  I almost decided not to sell it - but then at that time I really needed the money to buy a CIEM :p

Nonetheless, I agree with you that I would prefer SM64 to have a bit more bass (that's because I prefer a slightly bassy sound signature) - and this is where U8 comes in :)

I took your comments to heart, tried driving the SM64 with my HR-2, really a full size headphone amp, doesn't even have a mini jack, also high gain on my ALO Continental. Know what? Pretty good bass, much better than my previous experience with it. Thanks for the post.
(i know it doesn't really belong here, but since this came up here, wanted to finish the topic).

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #469 of 9,124
U6, and whatever you do, don't go on a bass-questioning quest like I did. No one here likes me any more... XD

There are soany variables bro, and after the amp, DAC, file source, eq, songs, there is the shape of the ear and mood. In reality without a huge sample size or a few people who are known to hear things like you the chances of getting the answer you hope for is difficult.

I for one find the bass on the vs6 to be clear and have great texture but it is so not sweet or full as my 8.A or 6.A (not the V8). Heck it feels animic after those, but some might find the 8.A to be too thick, one guy found them siblant, they have no siblance to me.

Point is really try to give them a listen or just choose the one you feel less likely to regret.

Just go with one, sell the other or gosh ,buy both sell 1 or keep both.

If this is such a huge decision that needs to be correctly chosen only your ears can decide and it is worth buying both (or ideal would have been to order a demo of both from 1964 a few weeks ago)

Good luck!

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #470 of 9,124
A customer service rep replied saying they'll be able to make universals of A12. On the kickstarter page, someone had apparently spoke to the creator who said the opposite. Given they're not cheap, I'm out for now- I'll reconsider next year when we have actual impressions and facts to discuss. :)

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #472 of 9,124
It sounds like we're going to go demo-less before the funding date. Has anyone heard any info otherwise or if demo units are even available at this point? Currently signed on for a U6 but the lack of info, mixed reports from customer service and slow responsiveness on kickstarter has gotten me weary. I'm fine if the U6 is even just a universal V6S but the process isn't as open as I'd hoped.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #474 of 9,124
  It sounds like we're going to go demo-less before the funding date. Has anyone heard any info otherwise or if demo units are even available at this point? Currently signed on for a U6 but the lack of info, mixed reports from customer service and slow responsiveness on kickstarter has gotten me weary. I'm fine if the U6 is even just a universal V6S but the process isn't as open as I'd hoped.

I'm more worried about if we're going to be able to select Charcoal Grey as an option 
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #475 of 9,124

It would really be nice to see any sort of demo or review of these. Also looking at the prices the U6 isn't a whole lot less than the typical sales prices that 1964 ears runs, so kind of hard to jump on these without any sort of demo. 

Interesting concept though. Watched all the videos I could. Some of it seems a little gimmicky. Would be nice to see someone's thoughts on read world translation.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #477 of 9,124
I agree with regards to the level of transparency this project has. My experience of kickstarter projects is that it's fairly standard to get some sort of update quite pretty much once a week, talking about development etc. These guys seem to have been completely silent, and given this is by far one of the more expensive kickstarters out there, they should be answering every email carefully and in full, fact checking as they go. 
I also agree about demo units - again, with most kickstarters it seems to be pretty much a dragon's den type situation, where the product is already basically made and working, but just needs more money to mass produce and advertise etc. With this its almost like they want funding before anyone has heard anything, except apparently Stevie Wonder, who of course said they're brilliant. 
I do have faith in 1964 ears, I don't think they've made a bad product that I'm aware of, but that doesn't mean they're incapable of doing so. look at quality control of recent Apple products for example....(not good). Although, I have backed the U6 (still a dilemma as you've most probably read, U8 might still happen!) but this one has made me very nervous, and the only responses I've had from them when asking them questions appear to be more geared at making me back the more expensive of the two, rather than basing anything on anything, or comparing, which I don't think is 'good enough' when funding a product of this price. Jut my opinions. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #478 of 9,124
Conflicting info being disseminated, lack of replies on kickstarter, frankly extremely unenticing stretch goals... And finally what looks suspiciously like a "street price" offering rather than a real preorder price.

So I'm out for now.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #479 of 9,124
Hi Guys, 

Planning to back this project, but wanted to see what others had to say...read this forum but still a little skeptical. I'm planning to go for custom A10 but I have never backed a project for more than $20 on Kickstarter before...Lol. So is it worth it?

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #480 of 9,124
There are so many things that make me want to downgrade from the A12: lack of customer support on kickstarter, money for the Earwerkz Supra and K7XX, Australian import fees, the fact that I have their V8, and I don't know if it's going to be twice as good as the U6/8...

A part of me wants to get the U6 so I can compare it to my V8, while another part of me wants to get the U8 so I can share the "V8" sound to other people. Then another part of me wants to hear 1964's new flagship, plus they already have two sets of my impressions. If they'll reply and confirm that premium faceplates/recessed sockets are included in the price, then I'll be happy to stay with the A12... decisions decisions.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back