1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Nov 14, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #361 of 9,124
I'm wondering if the A12 is to the A10 what the V8 is to the V6stage?

That's the $1200 question, isn't it!

If I knew I would have already backed either the A10 or A12.

I would hate to spend $1000 for the A10 and have less bass than my V6-Stage.
But OTOH I would be very unhappy to spend $1200 on the A12 an get the (over)emphasized bass of the V8.

My *guess* would be no.

The V6 & V6-Stage have 2 low / 2 mid / 2 high drivers and the V8 adds 2 more bass drivers for a 4/2/2 setup.

Where as the A10 has just 2 bass drivers and 4 each mid & high (2/4/4) and the A12 has balanced driver arrangement of 4/4/4.

Thanks for asking, as you've helped me figure out why I'm hesitating (even though I've gotten the green light from my wife). I'll send an e-mail asking 1964 about this.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #362 of 9,124

A12 to V8

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but I'm pretty surethat's not correct. The V8 has 4 bass drivers, and 2 mids and 2 trebles - and is clearly made for people who enjoy bass a touch more because of this. The A12 has a balanced setup, with 4lows, 4 mids, 4 his- I imagine if anything it's probably more likely to resemble the driver balances V6/V6S, but "better". 

EDIT- turns out I was wrong- putting this in here so as not to misinform anyone. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #363 of 9,124
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but I'm pretty surethat's not correct. The V8 has 4 bass drivers, and 2 mids and 2 trebles - and is clearly made for people who enjoy bass a touch more because of this. The A12 has a balanced setup, with 4lows, 4 mids, 4 his- I imagine if anything it's probably more likely to resemble the driver balances V6/V6S, but "better". 

I got that from Stephen himself, so I'm pretty sure that is correct.
However the A10 to V6 is my assumption basing from the fact that the bass is supposed to be very neutral.

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #364 of 9,124
However the A10 to V6 is my assumption basing from the fact that the bass is supposed to be very neutral.

I, in which case I apologise! Tuning means a lot more than drivers I suppose :D
I wish I could afford one of those two - as it is I'm 'stuck' the U8s, which are clearly going to sound TERRIBLE :D

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #365 of 9,124
I, in which case I apologise! Tuning means a lot more than drivers I suppose :D
I wish I could afford one of those two - as it is I'm 'stuck' the U8s, which are clearly going to sound TERRIBLE :D

Haha no apologies needed. I had the same assumption too before he broke the news.
Yep just like Roxanne with equal drivers on low mid and highs doesn't sound like JH13 at all.

Considering U8 is also similar to V8 I wonder how big a difference it is to A12. But like all other outrageously priced 10-12 drivers CIEM, I'm sure the difference from A12 to U8 is minimal, so you still made a wise money saved for another future IEM decision :D

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #366 of 9,124
Haha no apologies needed. I had the same assumption too before he broke the news.
Yep just like Roxanne with equal drivers on low mid and highs doesn't sound like JH13 at all.

Considering U8 is also similar to V8 I wonder how big a difference it is to A12. But like all other outrageously priced 10-12 drivers CIEM, I'm sure the difference from A12 to U8 is minimal, so you still made a wise money saved for another future IEM decision
biggrin.gif

Mind you, at this point I'm still trying to work out if the Ambient 12 would be a better choice. 12 drivers and a higher RRP... I wonder if it's only cheaper ta the moment because there's already a V6S/V8 baseline....

Thoughts anyone? Which is going to be the better sounding iem?

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #367 of 9,124
Mind you, at this point I'm still trying to work out if the Ambient 12 would be a better choice. 12 drivers and a higher RRP... I wonder if it's only cheaper ta the moment because there's already a V6S/V8 baseline....

Thoughts anyone? Which is going to be the better sounding iem?

Haha no one knows :p
But Stephen did mention in the KS comments that the ambient is more for casual listener who wants great sound while the U series are more pro studio :)
If it's me i go pro studio lol

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #368 of 9,124
Haha no one knows
tongue.gif

But Stephen did mention in the KS comments that the ambient is more for casual listener who wants great sound while the U series are more pro studio
smily_headphones1.gif

If it's me i go pro studio lol

I feel like we're all playing a sure-win lucky dip, with the caveat of paying for a coupon before you get your turn. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #369 of 9,124
Not only tuning but also what drivers are being used.

My 6.A's have 4 low 1 mid and 1 high but are similar bass level to the v6stage my 8.A has 2 low 2 mid 2 high and 2 ultra high. But it has bass in spades and though extended a less prominent high compared to the v6 stage.

Those 2 low drivers in the 8.A are larger than the 4 in the 6.A.

The 4 in the 6 A probably cover a larger range of frequency than most low drivers are tuned for.

So driver selection and tuning.

We know some of 1964 sound preferences I could hear it between the V6 and V6stage but with new line here plus Adel and not knowing which drivers they are using it is difficult to speculate sound signature by how many drivers are allotted for low med or high freq ranges.

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #370 of 9,124

This sir is correct. When I was at the 1964 Ears office yesterday I overheard this to be true. Even the graphic charts resembled the same. The A-10 will be close to V6 and the A-12 will be somewhere between v6s and v8. I hope that the A-12 will retain the punch of the V8 and make the clarity even better like the v6s. I have a V8 custom pair, Only heard v6s in universal form.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #371 of 9,124
Hellu! 

I'm a longtime lurker (few years) but I finally registered to ask a question.

Before the Adel reveal I was looking into getting either v4,v6 or the v6s. And Now I'm looking at getting either the u6 or u8 since they are at quite an amazing price. I'm not very good with audio terminology, but I do believe what I like is quite a reference sound. I have the AKG Q701 (open cans) and absolutely love the sound they have. Except for one thing, the bass is not enough for me. (I have done the mod) I want to feel the sub-base when I listen to deep house/lounge music. Other than that I truly love them. (not the headband :3 )

So to my question, do any of you who have tried these cans out think any of these models might fit what I'm looking for? 
I read a rather good tip earlier in this thread about the u8. Being able to lower the bass with the knob is better than adding bass with EQ. And that at least to nooby me sounds rather smart! :) So currently I'm leaning for the u8.

Also I do have the rather new Klipsch R6i iem's since my second pair of Torque T103Z started misbehaving. And I do like that they have a similar sound (just no way near as detailed obviously as the Qs,)  but with a bass that you can really feel inside your brain, at least for me...hehe.

Thanks! 

*edit, small "typo"
:)

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #373 of 9,124
A10 chart has the sound signature I like.. would have preferred the A12 to have a bit more mids and highs. I like some sparkly trebles and non recessed mids.

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #374 of 9,124
The A12 would be like the A10 if you boosted the mids and highs; or at least perhaps too similar. My tastes are similar to your tastes.  I am on the A12 list and plan to equalize if I don't like the sound profile.  But having seen those profiles, I am asking myself why not select the A10?  Basically because we are being told that the A12 is the top of the line best performer.  If I'm going to believe them that ADEL works I might as well believe them that the A12 is the best they can make. 

As all of you know, profiles aren't the whole story when it comes to how pleasing the sound is to you personally.  That makes this a shot in the dark.  Kind of fun isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back