1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 9, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #541 of 9,124
They (1964|ADEL) have also stated the ADEL technology considerably improves the soundstage - a benefit I'm pretty excited about (especially considering the V6-Stage already has excellent soundstage).

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #542 of 9,124
  There are so many choices at the moment, even after all the black Friday/cyber Monday madness! I backed the EarWerkz and joined the K7XX drop, and I'm also interested in the Auris (since I never tried the Rockets). Next week I'm going to be visiting e-Earphone in Akihabara, and that'll probably be the end of my wallet's life.

I haven't been to E-earphone yet, but the ear/headphone section in Yodobashi Akiba was.. let's just say, heavenly. Good luck to the wallet. 
biggrin.gif

That's just the thing- this my first pair of CIEMs, so I am fortunate to get to start with a blank slate. I guess my entire question can boil down to, and I intend to post this on the kickstarter to hopefully get answered on the Q&A- "Does ADEL offer a real health benefit even at very low volumes?" Either yes or no, it makes my choice very clear.

So, BRB- posting that to the kickstarter.

Nice first plunge into the CIEM world. You have a great spread to choose from - being able to decide between IEMs like the K10 and the A10/12 is a difficult but pleasant choice.

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #543 of 9,124
Because they're trying to sell you a product. XD

What I'm wondering is if the membrane itself really makes a different in the pneumatic pressure in your ear canal, or if it's the fact that the user-adjustable valve is letting air out not unlike a bass port.

Also, sure, pneumatic pressure buildup could potentially affect peoples' hearing, but how well does the effect work for low-volume conditions? I tend to listen to music at low volumes with in-ear earphones in the first place, and the fact that the technology is called RealLoud makes me wonder how useful it is for people like me. I would think high-frequency tuning would affect peoples' hearing more than pneumatic pressure buildup. Harsh treble from concert speakers makes my ears ring if I don't use hearing protection. Even if RealLoud helped the potential pneumatic pressure buildup issue, I believe that having a large 9-10 kHz spike in the treble isn't going to help my hearing in the long run.

Average Joe likes to turn up his music and pneumatic pressure buildup might be trivial with your Average Joe EarPods rather than high levels of high-frequency exposure. Likewise for noise exposure in general. I don't think there has been sufficient evidence to say that pneumatic pressure buildup itself is the culprit for hearing loss.

It is not a build up of pneumatic pressure but the waves generated from the drivers.

The pathway for damage given is the reflex of tightening the tympatic membrane repededly (and also making it move orders of magnitude more travel distance than it would otherwise move. This movement and frequency of movement causing a repeated and prolonged tightening of the tynpatic membrane.

Now whether that or resulting need for higher volumes causes the damage is the $1200 question.

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #544 of 9,124
It's more on negating the pneumatic pressure at the same time listening to lower volumes. Even with lower volumes on other IEMs/headphones, the pneumatic pressure still exists. Hence the Adel tech to replicate the ear membrane to offset the pressure.

Yes it negates the pressure, but there is not a proven modal or study showing the pathway of the damage (at least none I recal)

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #545 of 9,124
Charcoal grey stretch-goal broken :D

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #546 of 9,124
Lots of information given on the webinar and they went on for over two and a half hours which was nice to see. I believe you can watch it over on spreecast after the fact.

Some highlights:

- Hard case will most likely be the next stretch goal
- You will be able to activate ADEL with minimal to no isolation loss, and then can control the ambiance thereafter.
- The ADEL benefit seems to be two-fold, it makes your ear react more naturally to the sound which supposedly is 'safer' and then allows you to listen to music quieter which is the second benefit
- Color options aren't available for the U series since they need to be done in large batches. With that said, Vitaliy said he'd consider it if enough people wanted one color (or clear)
- No notches on the port as of now but it's something they're considering based on feedback currently being gathered
- A review unit has been sent out and a review is expected here on head-fi soon

Obviously the last one is what most of us are looking for I believe. Moment of truth! Feel free to correct me anywhere as I only caught parts of it in the background while 'working'

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #547 of 9,124
  Lots of information given on the webinar and they went on for over two and a half hours which was nice to see. I believe you can watch it over on spreecast after the fact.

Some highlights:

- Hard case will most likely be the next stretch goal
- You will be able to activate ADEL with minimal to no isolation loss, and then can control the ambiance thereafter.
- The ADEL benefit seems to be two-fold, it makes your ear react more naturally to the sound which supposedly is 'safer' and then allows you to listen to music quieter which is the second benefit
- Color options aren't available for the U series since they need to be done in large batches. With that said, Vitaliy said he'd consider it if enough people wanted one color (or clear)
- No notches on the port as of now but it's something they're considering based on feedback currently being gathered
- A review unit has been sent out and a review is expected here on head-fi soon

Obviously the last one is what most of us are looking for I believe. Moment of truth! Feel free to correct me anywhere as I only caught parts of it in the background while 'working'

That's what I came to post.

Dec 9, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #550 of 9,124
Also from the interview:

Regarding the A10 & A12:

- They will be about the same size as the V8 and V6-Stage (I was worried about the size creeping up to that of the Roxanne).

- Full customization using the 1964 online designer is included in the Kickstarter price. Although the ambient port and silicone tip options will not be available.

- Recessed sockets will be standard.

- In answer to the A12 being compared to the HD-800... "After hearing the A12 I don't think you'll be missing the HD-800."

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #552 of 9,124
Did they mention the inspiration for the A12? Does it have the hd800 sig?

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #554 of 9,124
Do the ambients offer as much noise isolation as the u series does? On the kickstarter it sounds like the ambients are semi-open, but the 1964 ears site says that the noise isolation is adjustable via the adel module.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #555 of 9,124
Do the ambients offer as much noise isolation as the u series does? On the kickstarter it sounds like the ambients are semi-open, but the 1964 ears site says that the noise isolation is adjustable via the adel module.

Close the module and it'll offer the same isolation as any CIEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back