?????
Jun 2, 2006 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

pawlowski6132

Banned
Someone sold a pair of AKG K1000 phones here this week. I posted a reply asking what these went for because the weird seller typed "SOLD" over the price? Moderators deleted my post and locked down the thread.

What's the big freakin' deal??? Jesus...

Jun 2, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 26
I'm not really sure. I have never completely understood that "aspect" of Head-fi's buy/sell forums. I have seen people post that it's because the final price is a private matter between the buyer and seller, and maybe so, but I think we'd all be better served by actually knowing what things sell for. Audiogon works that way, as, of course, does E-Pay.

Jun 3, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
What's the big freakin' deal??? Jesus...

The "deal" is that there is no discussion in the FS forums. It's against Head-Fi's TOU, plain & simple. If you happened to notice, all discussion posts in that thread were deleted, not just yours. Since the transaction was completed, there is no need to keep the thread open and invite more discussion.

It is the seller's perogative to remove the price of an item after the sale is complete. You are welcome to PM the seller to ask your question that way.

Jun 3, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 26
To the gallows for removing the price I say!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
If you want to maintain the "community" feel that good online forums have, removing the price only serves to undermine that.

IMO only, of course.

exactly. buyers and sellers have a more difficult time judging buying/selling prices without prior examples, again undermining the headphone community feel.

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
As are many other things that are allowed to pass...

I don't get it. If you see something that is "allowed to pass" that you think should be deleted then report that post with the "report post" icon which is located on each and every post that makes its way to your eyes. I might be that we haven't seen the post, or that we don't happen to agree with your judgment about the need to delete it. The only way to find out is to report the post. We don't see everything, and we can't please everyone with what we do or don't do. We just try our best to be consistent, and when members help us out along the way, the process goes much smoother. Backhanded gripes don't help the matter. At least not for this volunteer.

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 26
With all due respect it's none of your business as it is the sellers choice only if he wants to put a SOLD over his price. I don't see what the commotion is all about.
confused.gif

I think that you have enough references to prices of any gear.

Jun 3, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I don't get it. If you see something that is "allowed to pass" that you think should be deleted then report that post with the "report post" icon which is located on each and every post that makes its way to your eyes. I might be that we haven't seen the post, or that we don't happen to agree with your judgment about the need to delete it. The only way to find out is to report the post. We don't see everything, and we can't please everyone with what we do or don't do. We just try our best to be consistent, and when members help us out along the way, the process goes much smoother. Backhanded gripes don't help the matter. At least not for this volunteer.

Point taken. I will PM in the future. The gripe was more that there has been some selectivity going on here, but I will keep that to private messages to the mods if that is how you prefer to run things. Me, I'd prefer that these things could be discussed in the open.

Jun 3, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

With all due respect it's none of your business as it is the sellers choice only if he wants to put a SOLD over his price. I don't see what the commotion is all about.

Who said the choice should be taken away??

The point is that by making the choice to keep the relevant information to yourself, you're removing a big chunk of usefulness from the forum.

If that's the choice you make, so be it, but don't pretend that by hiding everything from everyone else here that it does anything but chip away at the "community", such as it is.

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Point taken. I will PM in the future. The gripe was more that there has been some selectivity going on here, but I will keep that to private messages to the mods if that is how you prefer to run things. Me, I'd prefer that these things could be discussed in the open.

I respond to posts that are reported by members almost daily. I don't agree with their complaints everytime but most of time I do. Most of what I've done as a mod so far has been in response to reported posts and/or threads by other members. It makes our jobs a lot easier. As Wmcmanus pointed out, we can't be everywhere all the time.

Jun 3, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 26
Well, I guess I do consider it a valuable resource to see the prices, but we can't exactly force sellers *not* to do it. That said, if I'm a buyer, I'd like to know what the seller got it for as that does have impact on what I'm willing to pay.

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
This thread hasn't been closed yet?

There was an identical thread by the same OP that was closed yesterday. I think he likes to stir the turd.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back