$150 speakers better than $600 headphones
Jun 28, 2010 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

cifani090

Headphoneus Supremus
I have just bought some $600 Denon Ah-5000 headphones and i am thinking that my Logitech Z-2300 speakers sound better than my Denon's. Do others feel this way. I have the J$ pads with them, do i need an amp to make them sound better or what. I think i need a speaker sounding headphone, such as a Stax or so. Maby even the Sennheiser HD800?

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 75
I love how headphones sound...The denons you have require some burn in, how many hours of use do they have? And regarding amplification, they require a good source to sound good. A high quality amp. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 75
I think that most good headphones should be able to outperform that speaker set. Maybe you're accustomed to the sound of the Z-2300. Try listening exclusively to your headphones for a week or so, then revisit your speakers before making any more big changes. 

I had a pair of Denon AH-D2000 and really liked them, even directly out of my iPhone. They sounded best out of a desktop headphone amp or my receiver, which happens to have reasonable power behind its headphone output. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 75
I used to have z2300s and ditched them when I got my  k601s in favor of a smaller speaker set. Maybe you just like the bass your whole body can feel?

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 75

Quote:
I have just bought some $600 Denon Ah-5000 headphones and i am thinking that my Logitech Z-2300 speakers sound better than my Denon's. Do others feel this way. I have the J$ pads with them, do i need an amp to make them sound better or what. I think i need a speaker sounding headphone, such as a Stax or so. Maby even the Sennheiser HD800?

What do you mean by "better" ? Of course a speaker will sound more natural by its nature against headphones but cans have their own advantages also.

Higher price do not mean "better".
wink_face.gif

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 75
Speakers and headphones just sound different.  I don't think they are very equivalent.  Push to shove though, speakers win by a humongous, giant, HUUUGE margin.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 75
The only reason why i prefer headphones is because they are easy to buy and sell. Also headphones like Grado gives you a unique pleasurable listening experience which cannot be easily equalled by speakers.

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 75
As is the case with a lot of those cheaper PC speakers w/subwoofer, you've probably been hearing a lot of music with an overemphasized midbass -- I know this was a case w/ my Promedia 2.1 and Ultra 5.1.  It makes the music/whatever seem a lot more involving than it really is, and if you've been used to that, will make whatever's coming out of somewhat more accurate speakers/headphones seem downright anemic.

Once you get used to your headphones, you'll appreciate hearing music closer to how it was intended, noticing subtleties that were masked by the overpowering bloat -- with the unfortunate side effect of realizing your speakers aren't all that great.  If you stick to your speakers for a while again you'll realize it can also be 'fun' to listen to something with that bass hump, though at that point your headphones might sound a little lacking again.

My solution?  I got speakers with similar sound signatures to my favorite set of headphones (HD650) -- no more confusing the heck out of my ears, and I can enjoy listening regardless of how I choose to connect.

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 75
OP, I think you really need to qualify what you mean by "better." There are a lot of things that are different between speakers and headphones, and it would help to know what you're noticing. Until you specify that, we can't really answer your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back