<$150 IEM for commuting
Apr 3, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by phyrefly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point, I didn't consider the volume pod. Considering how annoying my MD33's cords have to be wrapped up to be portable, dragging something like that along probably won't be too comfortable.

Is the isolation of ER6i, UM1 and E3C about the same or is there a clear winner?

Thanks!

I have the UM1 and the E3c. I've not A/B between the two. I bought the UM1 because I'm having intermittent static in one ear with the E3c after 3 years of hard use.

I'd give the E3c a little bit of an edge on SQ. It has a little more bass.

The UM1 still sound very good and are much easier to use. It goes into the ear easier, the cord is easier to work with and it doesn't stick out of your ear like the E3c. The E3c's cord is thick and long and is sometimes a pain. The new SE210 has a sorter cord. I'm debating sending in my E3c for out of warranty repair or buying the SE210, or upgrading.

For isolation, I give a slight edge to the E3c because it goes in a little deeper. I couldn't get a good seal with the UM comply tips. I use the Shure tips with my UM1. For every IEM or canal phone that I've used, I only get good isolation with foam tips.

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #17 of 38
I have owned and used the E3's and the ER6i's (wish I had heard the Westones, but I haven't). I had gotten the E3's because they seemed sturdier than the Ety ER6's I had ... but I grew a little tired of the thicker cords, and when I switched from the highly EQ'able Rio Carbon to an iPod Nano 2nd Gen. for travel listening, I found I didn't like the Shures with the iPod [edit: or vice versa], so I got some ER6i's (your mileage may vary, of course). For me, the Etys with foams isolate a bit better than the Shures with foams, which isolate pretty well ... again, YMMV.

I don't use the ER6i's for everyday (in the office or at home) listening, but I still find them an excellent value -- around $90 online for earphones that provide isolation and audio enjoyment when I am traveling (I factor isolator costs into the price of air travel, as I consider them essential ... and after several flights they don't seem like they cost much ... I had considered Westone UM2's, but didn't want to spend $200 more for earphones I wouldn't be using on an everyday basis, as I already had other earphones and headphones for that purpose).

Apr 4, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned and used the E3's and the ER6i's (wish I had heard the Westones, but I haven't). I had gotten the E3's because they seemed sturdier than the Ety ER6's I had ... but I grew a little tired of the thicker cords, and when I switched from the highly EQ'able Rio Carbon to an iPod Nano 2nd Gen. for travel listening, I found I didn't like the Shures with the iPod, so I got some ER6i's (your mileage may vary, of course). For me, the Etys with foams isolate a bit better than the Shures with foams, which isolate pretty well ... again, YMMV.

I don't use the ER6i's for everyday (in the office or at home) listening, but I still find them an excellent value -- around $90 online for earphones that provide isolation and audio enjoyment when I am traveling (I factor isolator costs into the price of air travel, as I consider them essential ... and after several flights they don't seem like they cost much ... I had considered Westone UM2's, but didn't want to spend $200 more for earphones I wouldn't be using on an everyday basis, as I already had other earphones and headphones for that purpose).

I aggree that the cord for the E3c can be a pain. It sometimes has a life of its own. It sometimes doesn't like to stay around my ear and sometimes shifts the drivers in my ear breaking the seal.

For me, I use IEMs every day in my commute on the DC Metro. Eventually, I will upgrade to the UM2 or something similar. I don't suggest the the OP does this thought because IEMs in general go in the ear more than the canal phones he's already tried. Some people just don't like the feel of something that far in their ear.

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #19 of 38
shure e4 for $175,-
only 25 more bucks and you're ina whole different league...
wink.gif

www.djdeals.com

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't suggest the the OP does this thought because IEMs in general go in the ear more than the canal phones he's already tried. Some people just don't like the feel of something that far in their ear.

how far does the um1 and ety 6i go in the ear?

and how does both compare to senn 595 in terms of sq? similar or very diff?

Apr 5, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how far does the um1 and ety 6i go in the ear?

and how does both compare to senn 595 in terms of sq? similar or very diff?

The UM1 doesn't go in very deep unless you use the long comply tip or Shure triflange. I never used the 6i but I've read that they can go deep into your ear. The UM1 fits flat to your ear and has a short neck so it can't be shoved in far unless the tip you use is long. The ety6i goes straight in so you can shove it pretty far. I have the E3c which sort of works the same way. The tip goes in until it can't go further

I've never heard the 595, but I can't imagine the um1 or ety6i can compare.

Apr 5, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #22 of 38
I think the ER-6i provides a nicely balanced sound with great isolation at a reasonable price & they don't stick out of your ears which is nice.

Apr 6, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how durable is the um1?

and someone mentions that the um1 uses a ?comply tip? which needs to be changed every few months. isn't that pretty expensive?

It can be if you replace them, but Im still using my original two pairs from over a month ago. I just wash them with soap and water and theyre good as new. Only thing is that they lose a little elasticity but not a big deal at all, no effect.

Apr 6, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #26 of 38
The im716s are *great* if you don't have small ears, and if you can deal with the volume pod, which makes them heavier than they ought to be. For the former, using different tips helps some, and for the latter, you can mod the cable, or do what I do, and just loop them over my ears to better support the weight.

Soundwise, I think they blow e3c's (my former iems) right out of the water, and when properly amped, are truly great. However, I'm selling mine because of the comfort issues. Plenty of people seem to deal just fine, so you'll have to decide whether your priorities lie with ergonomics or SQ.

Apr 6, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can be if you replace them, but Im still using my original two pairs from over a month ago. I just wash them with soap and water and theyre good as new. Only thing is that they lose a little elasticity but not a big deal at all, no effect.

The new Shure black olives work and are made to be washed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterwight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The im716s are *great* if you don't have small ears, and if you can deal with the volume pod, which makes them heavier than they ought to be. For the former, using different tips helps some, and for the latter, you can mod the cable, or do what I do, and just loop them over my ears to better support the weight.

Soundwise, I think they blow e3c's (my former iems) right out of the water, and when properly amped, are truly great. However, I'm selling mine because of the comfort issues. Plenty of people seem to deal just fine, so you'll have to decide whether your priorities lie with ergonomics or SQ.

Do Shure tips fit the im716?

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #28 of 38
The im716 tubes are a bit wider, especially at the tip. I was able to fit Shure gray soft flex-sleeves over them, but it was definitely a tighter fit than normal. Foamies with harder plastic tubing on the inside might be tougher still, but I didn't actually try it, so I couldn't say for sure.

On the other hand, the design makes it much less likely for sleeves to accidentally fall off, which happened plenty with my E3c's.

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #29 of 38
How much of a problem does the control pod (im716) pose when walking around or standing on the subway? Does the im616 have the same ER4 drivers as well?

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterwight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The im716 tubes are a bit wider, especially at the tip. I was able to fit Shure gray soft flex-sleeves over them, but it was definitely a tighter fit than normal. Foamies with harder plastic tubing on the inside might be tougher still, but I didn't actually try it, so I couldn't say for sure.

On the other hand, the design makes it much less likely for sleeves to accidentally fall off, which happened plenty with my E3c's.

Do they come with foam tips. I don't get enough isolation in my daily subway commute without foam tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back