<$150 IEM for commuting
Apr 1, 2007 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

phyrefly

100+ Head-Fier
I have to commute for the next four months (combination of bus/subway/train) and I'm looking for an IEM with excellent isolation and SQ.

Please don't recommend the EP630/CX300 because they're the same as my Sharp MD33s, don't isolate nearly enough and frankly... sound like crap.

I'm looking for something along the lines of Alessandro's sound signature, if such an IEM exists.

Please share your experiences of how the IEMs perform 'out on the field', as I will only use them on the road.

Thanks!

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 38
UM1 for sure: Great isolation and fit. Comfy, low profile, can lean on a pillow without feeling them. Sound quality is very good, little light on bass is all. Least amount of microphonics among iems.

Apr 1, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 38
I have both the UM1 and the E3c. I like the sound a little better in the E3c. However ergonomics are much better in the UM1. As the previous poster said, they are lower profile, although for a commute that doesn't matter. It does help on a long plane ride though. I find the microphonics about the same between the two. The E3c's cord is much longer and heavier which has caused problems for me when I move around. Sometimes the cord is heavy enough to shift the drivers in my ear. I also catch the E3c's cord on backpacks, briefcases, etc. when squeezing though a crowded subway car.

As far as comfort goes, the UM1's comply tips are supposed to be very comfortable, but I couldn't get a good seal, so I use the Shure tips so it's a wash. I have short, medium sized ear canals.

For isolation, any IEM with foam tips are better than the rubber tips. I get a little better isolation with the E3c because they go a little deeper in my ear, but I still can't hear much outside noise with either. On the subway, I have the volume of my iPod at about 1/4 for the UM1 and 1/3 for the E3c, the diffence being that the um1 is easier to drive.

I also have the Super.fi 3, which is good if you have big ears. They're too big for my ears. I can't wear them for more than 15-20 minutes without a lot of pain. They do sound nice though. I'm planning on selling them in the next week.

Apr 2, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 38
Does the UM1 come with different sized foam tips?

Quite a few reviews describe the UM1 as 'flat'. How bad is it compared to the MD33/CX300/ERP630?

Also, how does the IM716 compare to UM1?

Apr 2, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by phyrefly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the UM1 come with different sized foam tips?

Quite a few reviews describe the UM1 as 'flat'. How bad is it compared to the MD33/CX300/ERP630?

Also, how does the IM716 compare to UM1?

UM1s come with 2 pairs of short, 2 of long comply, but same diameter. Ive read a few ppl say that this was a problem for them and had to go the shure foamie route. I found it very easy and so have about 5 of my friends that have tried who have shures and etys.

EP630s are, IMO, the opposite of UM1s. They are really bass heavy, have somewhat muddy mids, and highs are a little harsh. UM1s are pretty flat, little light on bass. I find the mids very good and highs very smooth and refined. Overall, a very clear and accurate presentation with a decent soundstage for IEMs. EP630s are overall dark canalphones without soundstage. However, I do prefer it for some types of music such as metal or trance. Otherwise, I stick to UM1s.
For volume levels I have UM1s at around a quarter, while EP630s over half. With commuting, outside noise would be very noticable with 630s and you may end up maxed out. They are a good value, but not great for your need IMO.

Apr 2, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 38
what about jbl 220? do they sound similar to ep-630/cx 300?

and do ety er4 or er 6i have as good of a sound quality and isolation as um1? i don't like the look of um1.

sorry for bugging in. hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.

Apr 2, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 38
ety's are thinner sounding and more accurate with less bass. um1 is more full bodied and fun sounding. Isolation is good on both but um1 is more comfy and easier to get a good fit. Also less microphonics.
um1 has somewhat poor extension on both ends, especially the treble. Meaning that frequencies out of its range won't be picked up. For me, the bass is ok, but a bit lacking in the highs.

Apr 2, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about jbl 220? do they sound similar to ep-630/cx 300?

and do ety er4 or er 6i have as good of a sound quality and isolation as um1? i don't like the look of um1.

sorry for bugging in. hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.

The JBL 220 has an open back. It doesn't isolate as well as the CX300.

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 38
The iM716 is a technically more proficient IEM than the UM1.. the former competes with the $150-200 segment IEMs, besting them in some areas.

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 38
^What do you mean by technically more proficient? Could you describe its sound signature?

Thanks!

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 38
A PK2 with a custom earmold may have the 'fun' Alessandro sound that you're looking for. If you can find a used PK2 for $50 and then send it to radio partner to make $99 custom mold for you. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230870

I have the PK2, and so far it has the closest mids to Grado compared to other IEMs I've tried (im716, ER4, E4, SF5pro). Haven't heard the UM1 though. However, I'm not sure if the custom earmold will eliminate the airy sound of the PK2.

Regarding the im716, its sound in HD mode is focused much on detail, and putting more emphasis on the highs than the mids. It didn't sound 'fun' to me.

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 38
Performance-wise it's a class above the E2/E3, ER6/ER6i, SF3, UM1, et al. I honestly think it gives my ER4P a run for the money.

The iM716 is more detailed than pretty much every other popular IEM choice in its price range and represents a good middle ground between "neutrality" and "fun", leaning more towards the former side.

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #13 of 38
You might want to consider the Ety ER6i's, at least as a frame of reference against the others. I was on a five-hour flight yesterday and was once again surprised and pleased by the "entry-level IEM" Etys, which had short Comply foam ear tips and which were connected to merely an unamped iPod Nano 2nd generation (very portable and commuter-friendly). Even in that loud environment, I could hear "new" elements in some of my favorite songs (so an isolating IEM should be a good idea for your commutes).

The very good isolation and the bright/clear sound signature helped me tune out voices and a large amount of the jet roar in the airplane cabin.

I haven't heard the Alessandros or the UM1's, so I can't compare them with the Etys ...

Doesn't the iM716 have the volume control "pod" on the earphone cord? Keep that in mind ... that's the only really negative thing I've read about them (and some like that feature, while others don't). Otherwise, they seem like a very good value.

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 38
Good point, I didn't consider the volume pod. Considering how annoying my MD33's cords have to be wrapped up to be portable, dragging something like that along probably won't be too comfortable.

Is the isolation of ER6i, UM1 and E3C about the same or is there a clear winner?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back