$150-175 for Classical (edited)
Dec 28, 2009 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

SoundsGood

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

It's been quite some time since I've been by this forum, but, have gotten back into it in the past couple months or so.

I currently have the Denon D1001 headphones. I have been enjoying them - they are a fun can. However, I've been noticing that the bass can be a little undefined or muddy. I listen to classical music (full symphonic/orchestral) 95% of the time. My sources are my 2009 MacBook Pro, Cowon iAudio X5, occasionally my iTouch, and now and then my Harman Kardan receiver.

So, I'm looking to possibly try another pair of headphones. I've been looking at the following:

AKG 271MKII
ATH M50
Shure SRH840

I'm leaning towards the AKGs as I've read they can be quite good for classical.

I currently do not use an amp, but have been looking at possibly getting a NuForce Udac, NuForce Icon Mobile, or one of the Bravo amps that can be found on eBay.

So, any suggestions on which of these headphones would be better for classical, and a nice step up from the Denon's?

Thanks!

**I edited the title of this thread so as not to eliminate open cans in this price range

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mambosenior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry. Missed the "closed" clause in your post.

EDIT: nevermind

OP, why do you need closed, specifically?

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 19
Thanks for the replies so far. As to why I wanted closed cans, I do occasionally go out where closed is nice. However, as I think about it some more, I could just keep the Denon's for those situations. So, perhaps closed isn't a necessity. Sorry, I keep going back and forth on what I think my needs are.

My price range is about $150-175, new or used is fine. So, I guess if there are open headphone recommendations at that price range that are comparable to the three I already mentioned, go for it. As for an amp, I will probably get one, though I can't say it would be immediately after I purchase any headphones. One piece at a time for now. It'd probably be a month or two after any headphone purchase.

I have not forayed into DIY modding/recabling at all. I'm not too sure I have the interest for that.

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 19
Dec 28, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 19
Personally if you're not concerned about closed and listen to orchestral I'd go Sennheiser, either 595 or 650. I have the same musical taste, have tried all the AKG, Denon, AT, Beyer etc and found Senns the most naturally balanced, at least if you want a concert hall balance, about 20 rows back. If you want to be sitting on stage next to the harpist, then by all means get one of the others, but "fun" can sometimes be a euphemism for "painful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #11 of 19
I have both the SRH840's and the HD650's. I'd say I like the HD650's for classical a touch more for its soundstage, but I think the SRH840's handle it quite well, particularly for more powerful pieces or perhaps intimate pieces where better bass or a more upfront seat is better. I can't say I like either pair more than the other in general, but for certain music or even artists, I like one or the other better. I will say that my HD650 purchase was not because I was dissatisfied with my SRH840 at all (I preferred closed to open), but because I got an offer I could not refuse.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #12 of 19
I think for classical, id go for some Senns.
I think thats what alot of the higher end Senns were designed for actually.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 19
It's a bit on the high end of your price range, but the Sennheiser HD580 (an older version of the HD600) is absolutely amazing for classical. It can often be found for reasonable prices (~$180) modded with HD650 cable and HD600 grills on the FS forum.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #14 of 19
I was in your situation too (around the same budget, classical music, no amp), and tried out a few other sets, but decided on upping my budget to under $300 and got the AKG K701s (around $260) + a cheap Fiio E3 amp (around $12). Surprisingly there's no glaring flaws with this set up sound wise - the AKGs sound clear and detailed and there's no problem with volume. Anyway, just something to think about if you want.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by David58117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was in your situation too (around the same budget, classical music, no amp), and tried out a few other sets, but decided on upping my budget to under $300 and got the AKG K701s (around $260) + a cheap Fiio E3 amp (around $12). Surprisingly there's no glaring flaws with this set up sound wise - the AKGs sound clear and detailed and there's no problem with volume. Anyway, just something to think about if you want.

I agree. If you can save and wait a little more, I think AKG K701 is the best bet.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...g-k701-463718/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back