$15 soldering iron worth even trying?
Oct 22, 2009 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
Parts-Express.com:*Stahl Tools STSSVT Variable Temperature Soldering Station | soldering soldering tools soldering station solder station stahl tools stssvt variable temperature soldering station soldering iron solder pcb circuit board gift ideas Aar

Gets good reviews, but who knows. I am a complete noob so want as low a cost to entry as I can in case I absolutely suck at micromovements with my hands. But then again, I don't want to fail because I bought a piece of poop. Max $50 for a station to get started.

Primarily want to make interconnects, speaker cables, and possibly recable some headphones to start. I would like to be able to make simple dacs and amps as well, although I have a lot to learn about resistors, transistors, and capacitors (oh my!) first.

Anyone have any experience with this iron?

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 32
x2 - I realized it is about time I start getting into DIY, only thing truly left for me in this hobby. one thing for sure, it beats the heck out of the radio shack iron I once had based simply on it comes with a little stand and wipe.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hakko 936 - tried and true, costs less than an evening at the pub.

Man....what pubs do you go to?

Fa's buying!

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 32
Dude, practice, practice, practice. It's not about the tool. It's about the operator of the tool. buy some perfboard and some 20 gage wire and practice soldering the wire to the perfboard pads. Do that for about 50 square inches at 100 joints per square inch and you'll be off to a good start.

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, practice, practice, practice. It's not about the tool. It's about the operator of the tool. buy some perfboard and some 20 gage wire and practice soldering the wire to the perfboard pads. Do that for about 50 square inches at 100 joints per square inch and you'll be off to a good start.

So you are saying the $15 tool will be fine?

If I went with the Hakko, I might have to wait to see what kind of funds Christmas might bring.

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 32
I have built 2 CK2IIIs and a Bijou with an $8 radiohack iron. A soldering station might be a revelation, but the iron I have now gets the job done.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 32
Weller WP25 is running ~$32 online and that was the GOLD STANDARD for like 25+ years. I learned on a Weller WP25 that was old when I inherited it. Downside is its not variable temperature (though its single temp is a fairly standard 750F). But a hell of an iron for $32. I like the WP25 better than the SP23, partially because it's a nicer iron, but also because the parts are modular and it's EASY to find tips for.

I have a WES50 now (predecessor to the 51) but that's way overkill. You don't really need a soldering station for that kind of thing. Frankly I think it's easier to learn without one, but maybe that's because that's how I learned.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #11 of 32
I found that the Hakko 508 is a huge step up from the radioshack irons. It comes with an extra tip but the first tip never really wore out for me. I just got a second one for $20 after shipping from frys.com . The thing that made a huge difference for me though was the brass metal sponge tip cleaner thing. Fry's has one for $5. It doesn't cool down the iron like a wet sponge and the flux on it cleans the tip off completely so the tip lasts longer.

It's not temperature controlled and at 40W its good for cables but maybe a bit much for surface mount chips. I've done plenty of surface mount stuff fine with it though and it sounds like surface mount components are not really on your radar.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 32
That's definitely older, but it's not like soldering irons ever change, the WP25 is exactly the same as it was in the late 1960s. The seller is probably accurate in his assessment of it being better than a cheap new fixed-temp.

I'd be interested to know what the max temp on that one is, I can't tell from the pictures.

I would expect to budget for some extra tips for that, starting with a new tip will probably make your life easier. A Weller tip (at least for my WES50) runs about $6 from Mouser. Don't forget to order a Flux pen, too. I like no-clean flux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back