14 Digital amps Shootout by Stereomojo.com & GR Research
Apr 6, 2007 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gevorg

1000+ Head-Fier
clip_image004_007.jpg

Part 1 - Integrated Amps: Trends Audio TA-10, Sonic Impact Super T, Onkyo A-9555, Panasonic XR-55 (analog in), Flying Mole CAS-10, Little Dot T 100, NuForce IA-7, Sonneteer Bronte

Part 2 - Power Amps: Cary Audio CAA-1, Lyngdorf SDA 2175, Nomad Niagara, Flying Mole MA-S160, Audiosector Patek, Gary Dodd Custom

Apr 6, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 12
Yeah, I read that the other day. You gotta give kudos to those who are willing to be so patient!

The Panasonic's magic is in the digital input, so the authors have agreed to do a little followup using its digital input, not the analogue input, which I'm glad about. I'm using my Panny XR55 with digital input to good effect in my HT.

The other thing that would have been nice is a traditional, non-digital "control" amp (I know they had the Patek amp, but it isn't exactly traditional) in that round-up.

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 12
The sad thing is that the winning amp is not suitable for many users because it has only one set of inputs, and the volume knob needed to be turned ALL the way just to achieve a listenable volume(74db?, not acceptable when I want to rock out). Based on the shootout I'd look at the Onkyo or the Nuforce.

The writers could have made the on/off 'thump' a non-issue with the Nuforce simply by using the on-off button on the remote intead of the main switch at the back of the unit. (I should know, I own the same amp).
But they were right to point out the reliability issue with the Nuforce amps. This is something the team at Nuforce REALLY needs to fix.

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by av98m2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the volume knob needed to be turned ALL the way just to achieve a listenable volume(74db?, not acceptable when I want to rock out).

That volume knob statement is very weird as it all depends on what speakers you are using, plus most speakers are higher than 74db at 1W, so it should not be a problem unless you want to rock out, ie. for lots of users it'll be a very acceptable volume range. "acceptable" used very loosely as it all depends on the end user in the end with how loud he/she listens.

Apr 6, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 12
Nice review. There are too few of these types of reviews, comparing different models with different ears.

I have the flying mole DAD-M100 amps and was glad to see the positive impressions the flying mole power amp received. I have had the chance to compare them with a PS Audio Trio power amp and a Hypex UCD-180 based power amp and the FM was superior to both.

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder187 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That volume knob statement is very weird as it all depends on what speakers you are using, plus most speakers are higher than 74db at 1W, so it should not be a problem unless you want to rock out, ie. for lots of users it'll be a very acceptable volume range. "acceptable" used very loosely as it all depends on the end user in the end with how loud he/she listens.

I think someone involved clarified that the knob was not yanked all the way, but set at the maximum level it could be at for the program material without raising the distortion unacceptably. And I think they matched all the amps electrically. Although the line arrays are pretty efficient, they demand a lot of current. Nevertheless, the distance that the listeners were at, the equivalent efficiency of a point source speaker was calculated to be about 97db/m.

Apr 6, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 12
I saw this the other day, but didn't realize they used the Panny's analog input. Did they use the analog input of all the others as well? Seems odd to not keep the signal path as pure as possible, in this case.

I did see comments at the end that some of their individual reviewers will be doing more in-depth reviews of some of the amps, so maybe we'll get comparisons to some more traditional amps in those reviews.

Also, I really want to hear what that Cary can do, hope that's one of their individual reviews coming up.

Apr 6, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 12
Whoa... Is it just me or is that page presented in an almost-unreadable fashion? I'm running at 1280x1024 resolution and that text is huge.

Also, the idea of centering everything is beyond bad.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back