$130 AMP in Canada for DT990's?
Aug 4, 2015 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

devilmonk

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a $130 max + shipping and tax amp. If a slightly higher priced one is noticeably much better, then I'll go for it. But I would much rather keep the price below $130.

Keep in mind the awful US to CAD conversion rate is $1.32 per $1.00 USD. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 25
Research the Objective 2 amp. Massdrop currently has a group buy available for $70: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-amplifier. They have international shipping, and maybe it will fit your budget. I don't think you could do better.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 25
I was actually looking at that already, but the comments put me off. Apparently its a portable version or something, with a weaker power adapter (from what I can tell, half as powerful, 110V when regular is 220V) 

"Cancelled my order. I think this is still a good deal but the lack of 220 power supply and the rear rca made me doubtful about it, I prefer to wait and see other drops in the future!"

"This drop might have been better described as a portable version of the amp with the possibility of a future, customisable desktop version. "

"This has far too little power for any speakers. It will *work* and you will hear sound, but you will be damaging the amp at any kind of even normal listening volume. "

"Sorry Massdrop, I'm cancelling as well. The JDS Labs offer, which includes a 220V PSU, rechargeable batteries, and shipping within days instead of weeks, has really taken the shine of this drop. 

"What really killed the drop for me was the absence of a 220V PSU option. I don't understand why it is so difficult to source such a part,"

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 25
220V is Europe. US is 110/120V for wall outlets--220V wouldn't work for me here. Aren't you the same?

And that IS the standard version of that amp. If you research on Head-Fi, you can learn more about it :)

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 25
At Canadian prices, this is decent... http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649190247-fiio-e17-alpen/

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 25
Went with the o2 sale, thx ppl

Is it too late to cancel? DT990 are are terrific cans, provided you can drive them well. The O2 sounds like cardboard with a flat, non-dimensional perspective. Ironically, that's one of the attributes where DT990 excel. You would have been much better off with a Matrix M-Stage from the site classifieds. Good luck.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 25
Is it too late to cancel? DT990 are are terrific cans, provided you can drive them well. The O2 sounds like cardboard with a flat, non-dimensional perspective. Ironically, that's one of the attributes where DT990 excel. You would have been much better off with a Matrix M-Stage from the site classifieds. Good luck.

He got the o2 for like 70 usd. You really can't go wrong with an o2 that discounted

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 25
It's like saying that raw sewage is free. Hard to go wrong.

smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard it, but it can't be that bad.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #14 of 25
I haven't heard it, but it can't be that bad.

Everything is relative. The O2 is the single worst sounding product I've heard that was aimed at a discriminating audience. Considering that one can buy an amplifier that exists on a totally different level of performance - especially given the cans - for the cost of a modest dinner for two (beyond the Massdrop O2 price), not doing so borders on the ridiculous.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #15 of 25
It's a glorified cmoy with a ridiculous input stage. You could spend less and still get something that's *actually* portable and doesn't clip when you push it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back