1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

$130 AMP in Canada for DT990's?

Next

Last
  1. devilmonk
    Looking for a $130 max + shipping and tax amp. If a slightly higher priced one is noticeably much better, then I'll go for it. But I would much rather keep the price below $130.

Keep in mind the awful US to CAD conversion rate is $1.32 per $1.00 USD. 

2. cel4145
    Research the Objective 2 amp. Massdrop currently has a group buy available for $70: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-amplifier. They have international shipping, and maybe it will fit your budget. I don't think you could do better.

3. devilmonk
    I was actually looking at that already, but the comments put me off. Apparently its a portable version or something, with a weaker power adapter (from what I can tell, half as powerful, 110V when regular is 220V) 

"Cancelled my order. I think this is still a good deal but the lack of 220 power supply and the rear rca made me doubtful about it, I prefer to wait and see other drops in the future!"

"This drop might have been better described as a portable version of the amp with the possibility of a future, customisable desktop version. "

"This has far too little power for any speakers. It will *work* and you will hear sound, but you will be damaging the amp at any kind of even normal listening volume. "

"Sorry Massdrop, I'm cancelling as well. The JDS Labs offer, which includes a 220V PSU, rechargeable batteries, and shipping within days instead of weeks, has really taken the shine of this drop. 

"What really killed the drop for me was the absence of a 220V PSU option. I don't understand why it is so difficult to source such a part,"

4. devilmonk
    Ok, I'm confused yet again after reading more comments, I live in Canada. What do you guys think of this drop?

5. cel4145
    220V is Europe. US is 110/120V for wall outlets--220V wouldn't work for me here. Aren't you the same?

And that IS the standard version of that amp. If you research on Head-Fi, you can learn more about it :)

6. Armaegis
    At Canadian prices, this is decent... http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649190247-fiio-e17-alpen/

7. devilmonk
    Went with the o2 sale, thx ppl

8. cel4145
    Be sure once you get it to come back and let people know what you think :)

9. devilmonk
    Ok :)

10. Shaffer

Is it too late to cancel? DT990 are are terrific cans, provided you can drive them well. The O2 sounds like cardboard with a flat, non-dimensional perspective. Ironically, that's one of the attributes where DT990 excel. You would have been much better off with a Matrix M-Stage from the site classifieds. Good luck.

11. Japheel
    He got the o2 for like 70 usd. You really can't go wrong with an o2 that discounted

12. Shaffer

It's like saying that raw sewage is free. Hard to go wrong.

:)

13. Japheel
    I haven't heard it, but it can't be that bad.

14. Shaffer

Everything is relative. The O2 is the single worst sounding product I've heard that was aimed at a discriminating audience. Considering that one can buy an amplifier that exists on a totally different level of performance - especially given the cans - for the cost of a modest dinner for two (beyond the Massdrop O2 price), not doing so borders on the ridiculous.

15. Armaegis
    It's a glorified cmoy with a ridiculous input stage. You could spend less and still get something that's *actually* portable and doesn't clip when you push it.

Next

Last