12AX7 tubes: rate your favourites!
Jul 25, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
from my Sylvania 12AT7, which was a total lame on bass, but i still don't know if it was defected. i would like to see how i can evolve this technique with a tube that does have a good bass & perform well.
right now i'm using the a Penta 12AX7 (i got it with my ART, i understand this tube sucks), and the highs started to piss me off bad after a few days.

I concur with your thoughts on Sylvania 12AT7s. ( these were gold brands from 60's) they were too warmish for my tiny triodes. I won't go as far as saying 'bass sucked' but, it could have been tighter. if you could fine the GEC A2900 ( 12AT7 equialants ) these, so far the best in terms of bass reposnse and treble extension. ( not sure how much they go for since these were given to me as a gift )

Penta, also aren't the best of the lot as far as treble extension goes.

Jul 25, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #32 of 57
I really like the Sylvania 12AT7's...but not the Gold Brand 6201's that I have. There's a gray plate and a black plate version that have distinctly different sounds. The black plates are highly detailed, with very good highs and lows but are thin in the midrange. The gray plates have got a lush detailed midrange, but seem to drop off at the frequency extremes.

Jul 26, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #33 of 57
If you use a tube amplifier, like the nOrh SE9 that I have, can you gain more power from tuberolling? Say, are there tubes that will give you a boost in wattage?
confused.gif

Jul 26, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
If you use a tube amplifier, like the nOrh SE9 that I have, can you gain more power from tuberolling? Say, are there tubes that will give you a boost in wattage?
confused.gif

Depending on circuits and transformers it has. I am assuming you are talknig output tubes right? Some transformers are only designed for certain tubes in mind.

When in doubt call the manufacturer and ask.

Jul 26, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
confused.gif

I wrote a thread about upgrading the nOrh SE9 with other tubes and power cable. I don't really know how it works technically concerning wattage but I got the most boost of sound quality from changing the 5AR4. Quality maybe related to more power though. *shrug* I'm not sure. It just sounded more dynamic.

Jul 26, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
I wrote a thread about upgrading the nOrh SE9 with other tubes and power cable. I don't really know how it works technically concerning wattage but I got the most boost of sound quality from changing the 5AR4. Quality maybe related to more power though. *shrug* I'm not sure. It just sounded more dynamic.

a total guess. but what happens with power cord is that reducing the noise floor let the music come through more. hence percieved as more power. Altho, I have had an exeprience upon swapping cables amd vibration dumping aftermarket shelves, I actually had to turn down the volume. for small signal tubes if they draw more current they might be able to handle better dynamic swings as well as quieter tubes make the music sound louder.

Ian. Let me know when you get the tubes i've sent you.

Jul 26, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I really like the Sylvania 12AT7's...but not the Gold Brand 6201's that I have. There's a gray plate and a black plate version that have distinctly different sounds. The black plates are highly detailed, with very good highs and lows but are thin in the midrange. The gray plates have got a lush detailed midrange, but seem to drop off at the frequency extremes.

excuse me for calling the wrong part "plates", but in my Sylvania, the horizontal plates are grey, and the vertical are black.

are the horizontal/vertical called "plates"?
& which type do i got here, grey or black?

Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
I concur with your thoughts on Sylvania 12AT7s. ( these were gold brands from 60's) they were too warmish for my tiny triodes. I won't go as far as saying 'bass sucked' but, it could have been tighter. if you could fine the GEC A2900 ( 12AT7 equialants ) these, so far the best in terms of bass reposnse and treble extension. ( not sure how much they go for since these were given to me as a gift )

Penta, also aren't the best of the lot as far as treble extension goes.

my 12AT7 Sylvanias' midrange goes so low, that i feel like it actually masks the lack of good bass. so some recordings may sound very balanced the way i know them, some really won't, depending on the dominant frequencies of the instruments.
bass guitars can be really laid back, and the kick drums can disappear on the beyers.
the Pentas' ability to connect the mids & the highs really ain't very good - it's hard to make higher frequencies muddy - but penta did it!
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2003 at 4:18 PM Post #38 of 57
hey i just remembered i have a tube in my marshall bass amp..
it's a grey Sovtek 12AX7WA, & it's sounds better then the Penta! much better frequency separation & crisp. (goes weel with electronica)
Hirsch, is the Sovtek 12AX7LPS much better?

EDIT: i went threw both my ART DI/O and Echo Darla20 soundcard & found that the ART prefers the Sovtek while the Darla prefered the Penta, that's after going threw different styles.
ahhh i'll go crazy in the end with all of that tube rolling, should have bought a SS amp
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

hey i just remembered i have a tube in my marshall bass amp..
it's a grey Sovtek 12AX7WA, & it's sounds better then the Penta! much better frequency separation & crisp. (goes weel with electronica)
Hirsch, is the Sovtek 12AX7LPS much better?

EDIT: i went threw both my ART DI/O and Echo Darla20 soundcard & found that the ART prefers the Sovtek while the Darla prefered the Penta, that's after going threw different styles.
ahhh i'll go crazy in the end with all of that tube rolling, should have bought a SS amp
tongue.gif

I've only compared them indirectly, but I seem to prefer the LPS over the WA Sovtek. I'd need to compare more carefully to be sure. The LPS impressed me, but the WA seemed blah.

Interesting two of my ART's came with Sovteks, while one came with a Penta Labs 12AX7.

Jul 26, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #40 of 57
Both my previous Art's I owned had Sovtek WA's. I've heard that there are other types in Art's too, besides the Penta.

Anyhow, like Hirsch, I have indirectly compared the WA and LPS and I prefer the LPS as well. IIRC, the LPS seemed to be more refined and more quiet, simply a bit better all around.

Jul 27, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

excuse me for calling the wrong part "plates", but in my Sylvania, the horizontal plates are grey, and the vertical are black.

are the horizontal/vertical called "plates"?
& which type do i got here, grey or black?

Whoops, missed this part.

The horizontal spacers are the micas. The vertical part is the plate. You have black-plate tubes.

If you have two of the horizontal spacers (one at the top and one at the bottom of the plates), you have a two-mica tube. If there is an extra spacer, it's a triple-mica tube.

Jul 28, 2003 at 9:21 AM Post #42 of 57
Damn, I would love to tuberoll my nOrh SE9, but why, oh why, must tubes be so expensive!
frown.gif

Jul 30, 2003 at 9:37 AM Post #43 of 57
Happy,
you gotta pay the cost to be the boss!
wink.gif
Remember also, that these tubes are not going to be around for long.
I presently use Tele smoothies and GE 5 stars in my Fisher. I need a couple of RCA Commands and some other triple mica 5751s to finish up my stock.
Get em while you can!
md

Oh, by the way, the triple micas were meant to defeat the microphonics or earlier tubes. I have no idea what microphonics are for I use mainly triple micas. Perhaps someone can explain what makes them triple micas so desirable.
eek.gif

Aug 9, 2003 at 7:02 AM Post #44 of 57
Hey there,

I don't own a tube headphone amp but browsing through the threads the name 12AX7 caught my eye. I'm familiar with these tubes, although in the form of guitar amps.. where different types of qualities are desired than those for hi-fi equipment... anyway I just wanted to post this link for those who are interested for all things tube! I do a bit of tube research and shopping here for my guitar amps.

the tube store

Cheers.

Aug 9, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #45 of 57
NOS Brimer 12AX7s. ( different sets from the pair i was going to try )

Just put 'em in nagra in place of telefunken.
so far these have the best midbass definition , bass decay and open and absolutely fabulous illuminating trebles.

Midrange is clearer, dead quiet and more resolution and presence than ever before.

next one up is the military spec version of Brimer CV4004. Curious to hear how they do .

Just for fun, i put back the original stock Sovtek 12AX7WXT.

No contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back