12AX7 tubes: rate your favourites!
Jul 21, 2003 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

AdamZuf

Headphoneus Supremus
hey again, guys!
would you please rate your favourite 12AX7 tubes, their price (more or less), if they are NOS, & tell me why and on which equiptment did you use it?

thanks!

Jul 21, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 57
Sylvania Gold Brand, Gold Pin, Triple Mica, 5751. Edges out my Sylvania Black Plate JHS Triple Mica 5751 by a bit, but still very similar. This is probably one of the most 'famous' (easy to come by) 5751 in speaker amp circles, and I find it lives up to it's reputation in my MG Head paired with JJ EL84's.

-dd3mon

Jul 21, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 57
what does "Triple Mica" stands for?
would you describe the nature of the Sylvania's next to other brands you have tried?

Jul 21, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 57
Triple mica refers to the number of mica spacers inside the tube (3). Many tubes have only 2 or 3, triple mica 5751 are renouned for being good across many brands.

The Sylvania's let a detailed treblel and a punchy bass shine through along with a beautiful midrange. They are forward sounding, very good compliment for my MG Head/HD600's. Most of the tubes I've tried have either been bassy, soft on top and not very detailed, or the opposite: dry, lean on the bass, and possibly hard on top. The GE 5751 Triple Mica is good, but I found it a bit hard in the treble, not as detailed as the Sylvania's and with a less prominent midrange. The Sylvania can sound delicate, detailed and yet punchy, full and not at all fatiguing at the same time, something I've not found in any other tubes in my MG Head.

If you haven't heard Nick Dangerous's MG Head Tube Rolling page, take a look. It primarily discusses 12AX7 type tubes.

Joe's Tube Lore is another excellent reference for 12AX7 tubes (very similar to Nick's, but more in depth, and both covering a few different tubes).

-dd3mon

Jul 21, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 57
Nope, triple - the Gold Brand 5751 only come in Triple. That is a very nice set - sure to go for far more than it's currently at IMO.

-dd3mon

Jul 22, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 57
In order of my preference:

Telefunken: not cheap
Tungsram: 25 bucks or less

I'll be trying a pair of British made vintage CV4004. These are said to be better sounding than Mullards... will see.

Haven't heard good enough newer production tubes yet.

Jul 22, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
In order of my preference:

Telefunken: not cheap
Tungsram: 25 bucks or less

I'll be trying a pair of British made vintage CV4004. These are said to be better sounding than Mullards... will see.

Haven't heard good enough newer production tubes yet.

CV4004 is the tube designation. IIRC it's a British military designator for the 12AX7WA. Mullard made a CV4004 (and is definitely a likely source for vintage British-made ones).

Jul 22, 2003 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 57
I thought this was a 12AX7 thread? 5751's are different animals.
Tele 12AX7 smooth plates. For my money they rock!
GE branded Westinghouse long plates are cool too. I got a pair of grey plates in my Fisher and they sound cool. You can also find some black plates in that configuration, but I haven't found a pair that I can use.
hope this helps,
md

Jul 22, 2003 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 57
yes, this went to a 5751 thread
tongue.gif

well.. i might try that type too. it supposed to fit the EMP.

what i want is mainly focused, extended highs (but i dont' want the highs to be strong) and a deep bass to low mid region.
though i have bad experience with 12AT7 (only with the two i ever tried), i'm open to suggestions to any type of tube that fits the EMP and answers my needs. as my ART is high output i have no problem with the gain, i believe.

Jul 22, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 57
YGPM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back