11th Calgary Head-Fi Meet Sunday May 31st, 2015 at University of Calgary
May 29, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #121 of 160
Another sweet item making an appearance on Sunday: The ESS RLM-713. Ear casings are Ebony. On-ear, but it looks like the pads can be swapped. Am going to give the MSR7 pads a try eventually (so turn them into over-ear) as pads look about the same size. As is, great bass and balanced through mids and treble.

May 29, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #122 of 160
Wow, looks great guys. Looking for all the impressions, from your Winnipeg neighbors.

Were only two provinces away!

May 29, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #123 of 160
Wow, looks great guys. Looking for all the impressions, from your Winnipeg neighbors.

Were only two provinces away!

Only a (loooooong) day's drive if you want to drop by  
wink_face.gif

May 29, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #124 of 160
I will try to make it and bring my recent K612's and a few other goodies.

May 29, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #125 of 160
I'm planning to attend (but will likely be one of the "arrive early, leave early" attendees.

I'll bring my Stax setup: SR-202 & Sigma normal bias 'phones with the SRM-1 MkII amp.  I'd really love to compare to the SR-007!
But... I don't have a source to bring.  The SRM-1 has R/L RCA analog inputs.  Does someone have a source they'd be able to hook up to it?  I also need the RCA cables as I'm in the process of moving and most my stuff is already boxed up.

Finally, I'm most interested in trying out some of the IEMs (especially the Westones) as this will likely be my next purchase.  Does anyone have a spare set of tips (I usually use the smallest size) that I could buy off them?

Thanks, see you guys Sunday

May 30, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #126 of 160
  I'm planning to attend (but will likely be one of the "arrive early, leave early" attendees.

I'll bring my Stax setup: SR-202 & Sigma normal bias 'phones with the SRM-1 MkII amp.  I'd really love to compare to the SR-007!
But... I don't have a source to bring.  The SRM-1 has R/L RCA analog inputs.  Does someone have a source they'd be able to hook up to it?  I also need the RCA cables as I'm in the process of moving and most my stuff is already boxed up.

Finally, I'm most interested in trying out some of the IEMs (especially the Westones) as this will likely be my next purchase.  Does anyone have a spare set of tips (I usually use the smallest size) that I could buy off them?

Thanks, see you guys Sunday

We'll have a number of DAPs available, and I'll be bringing an extra 3.5 mm to RCA stereo cable that you can borrow.

I probably have some small IEM tips lying around that I could give you (I don't use small, so they're just hanging around doing nothing). Look me up when you get there.

May 30, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #127 of 160
My daughter and son in law are both music teachers in Alberta.(Hinton) They both have Jazz performance degrees also.
They think Im crazy when I show them my headfi stuff. Some people just dont get it.
My son, whos an actuary (no arts degree) totally gets it.
He wants me to get the Cavalli Liquid Gold.
Anyways guys, have a great meet. It looks like you have alot of great gear to compare.

May 30, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #128 of 160
Hi everyone, please read and agree to follow these rules when you come to the meet:

Meet Rules:

1) Always wear a name tag (name tags will be found outside of the classroom door). Write your real first name and your Head-Fi user name if you have one. Take some sticky tags to label your gear.
Enter your name (only once) for a draw when you get your name tag! Prizes to be won:
a.Six (6) IEM prizes: 4x T-Peos D220n (dynamic), one T-Peos Amadeus (2-way hybrid), one T-Peos H-150 (3-way hybrid)
i.Courtesy of CTC audio: http://www.ctcaudio.com/

b.2 Prizes of: Yulong CU2 USB Silver Plated Copper (SPC) Digital Signal Cable (4ft)
i.Courtesy of Grant Fidelity, who sponsored the meet and paid for the room for us (http://shop.grantfidelity.com)

2) Remember that you're trying out another member's gear.
a.* Treat all gear with the utmost respect.
b.* Respect the owner's wishes.
c.* Give it all the velvet cushion treatment.
d.* Do not place headphones on top of other gear--if you're not sure where to put it, ask the owner.
e.* Do not remove any gear from a setup without the owner's permission.
f.* Do not remove any cables or make any other changes to the setup without the owner's permission.
g.* If you do take gear away from a table, or borrow cables, adapters, or power strips, try to remember where you got it from, and bring it back when you're done. In all the excitement, it's easy to forget where you got that 1/4" to 3.5mm headphone adapter.
h.* If you listen loud remember to lower the volume for the next person.
i.* If you don't know or are just curious about something, ask someone. Anyone. Someone knows, or knows someone who knows.
j.“You break it, you buy it” policy
k.* Ask if you're not sure how to operate any gear, or you're just curious about the system setup. Some gear requires headphones to be plugged in at all times, some gear doesn't like it when you unplug headphones unless the volume is turned all the way around. Don't just assume that everything works the same way. Just ask, it can save a lot of heartache.

3) Introduce yourself to other members when you get in the room
a.Don’t be shy, other members in this hobby are usually extremely nice from my experience!
b.Ask me (Mischa, a.k.a. swich401) or Eric (@hakushondaimao) where you can put gear if you brought any.

4) Personal hygiene is important
a.* Wash your hair and your ears--and behind your ears.
b.* Avoid the use of products like hair gel, hair spray, mousse, etc. Seriously, some of the headphones you'll have the opportunity to try cost more than a good used car.
c.* Clean out your ears so you can hear better
d.* Don't forget the deodorant (THIS goes for Oldtimers as well). Baby powder & cologne are not adequate substitutes.
e.* With all the gear & other members, it gets warm in the room. Dress accordingly.

5) No food or drink within the classroom
a.Step outside of the classroom if you want to eat or drink
b.Wash your hands if dirty before touching anything

Reminders:
-Bring extension cables, power bars, etc.
-Bring cables to hook up gear. Bring extra cables if you have them, especially adaptor cables or adaptors (e.g. 3.5mm to 1/4” adaptor, etc.)
-Bring IEM tips if you want to try out the IEMs at the meet. We may or may not have some extras that can be used.
-Parking: Lot 31 is best – around $8 – find here: http://www.ucalgary.ca/map/
-Bring some music on flash/USB drive to try on other people’s system
-Bring some alcohol swabs to clean off IEM  tips after use

May 30, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #130 of 160
Just a quick update - my LH Labs Geek Pulse Infinity arrived so I'll be demo'ing it along with the companion LPS4 linear power supply. Unfortunately my Shure SE-846 IEMs have not arrived so I guess those will have to be items for the next meet. I also have some other LH Labs gear on order - the Geek Blue Bluetooth transfer with customized APTx codec, the Geek Source music server w/4TB of music storage, 60GB of SSD for OS and caching and lastly, the Geek Wave portable music player - 256GB with 2 SD slots, femto clocks, signature edition with carbon fibre housing - dual output (single ended and balanced). The next meet will be fun too!! 
biggrin.gif

Dale

May 30, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #131 of 160
  Just a quick update - my LH Labs Geek Pulse Infinity arrived so I'll be demo'ing it along with the companion LPS4 linear power supply. Unfortunately my Shure SE-846 IEMs have not arrived so I guess those will have to be items for the next meet. I also have some other LH Labs gear on order - the Geek Blue Bluetooth transfer with customized APTx codec, the Geek Source music server w/4TB of music storage, 60GB of SSD for OS and caching and lastly, the Geek Wave portable music player - 256GB with 2 SD slots, femto clocks, signature edition with carbon fibre housing - dual output (single ended and balanced). The next meet will be fun too!! 
biggrin.gif

Dale

Cool stuff, Dale. I already have a potential venue lined up for the next meet, and might look to do one in the fall or winter (fall might be too soon but we'll see what consensus says about that). We are certainly going to have a LOT of stuff this time around!

May 30, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #132 of 160
Doh!

I decided to head down to Calgary from Edmonton a day early just in case tomorrow turns out to be a long day and I'm tired at the end of it to drive back home.

My wife just texted me a picture of the Furmann power bar I forgot to put in the car. I'm without that power bar! Is there anyone from Edmonton/Sherwood Park coming down tomorrow that could swing by my place in Sherwood Park and pick it up and bring it down with them?

Pretty please!   LOL

Dave

May 30, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #134 of 160
I popped in a pair of 330ohm Gray Knowles filters into the sm3 recently, and if anyone has spare medium 2mm nozzle silicone tips (shure, westone, etymotic, etc) I'd be interested in buying a pair. Also I'd like to ask listeners of the Apex Spire amp to help post some impressions onto the thread here because I haven't had the time lately and would be nice to get impressions from people with trained ears. Girlfriend may tag along for a while as well 
normal_smile .gif

May 30, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #135 of 160
FYI, this thread will be locked sometime tomorrow, either when the meet starts or ends. For now, keep using the current meet thread (this one) for any planning issues or news as everyone registered for the meet is subbed.

Once the meet is over, please post impressions and pictures (bring a camera if you have one, and note-book for recording impressions about equipment you try), and continue discussions from the meet and after-party, on the impressions thread, which can be found at: http://www.head-fi.org/t/768613/calgary-meet-impressions-may-31-2015.

Oh, and if you're tweeting or Instagramming from the meet, our hashtag is #HeadFiYYC2015.

See you all tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back