11th Calgary Head-Fi Meet Sunday May 31st, 2015 at University of Calgary
Apr 25, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #31 of 160

Oh boy, you got some planars @Honkytime - I'll have to have a chat with you and see how they compare to your hard-rocking Beyer's.

and looking forward to catching up with @micmacmo as well... interested to hear some of your new projects.

better yet you can listen to them i got my start with planars at the last headphone meet with HE-500 and have been hooked ever since i still love my dt 770's thou best closed headphone i find atleast but i'd love to hear some mad dogs or alpha dogs now maybe even an alpha prime if someone has them...maybe not my bank account might not take it.
evil_smiley.gif

Maybe the audeze el-8 open back version? Somebody is bringing lcd-3's so it would be nice to compare the 2 and im interested in them. Just a suggestion...

LOL i would wear them on the plane with my phone to avoid shipping charges. its would be worth the funny looks
beyersmile.png

Hi everyone, good news! Mr Travis of Headphonebar at Vancouver said he can loan me something to carry to the meet, so please check out the website and see if you have any interested products. Basically anything other than Auralic products.

i would love to hear some vmoda m-100's been my personal headphone i would like to hear been eyeing them on headphone bar since i bought my HE-400's from them.

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #32 of 160
  better yet you can listen to them i got my start with planars at the last headphone meet with HE-500 and have been hooked ever since i still love my dt 770's thou best closed headphone i find atleast but i'd love to hear some mad dogs or alpha dogs now maybe even an alpha prime if someone has them...maybe not my bank account might not take it.
evil_smiley.gif

lol yes I remember hearing the HE-500's at the meet and saying that you would love them. I bought a pair myself, but ended up sticking with my Sennheisers... too in love with their sound. I do have LCD-3F's now, just trying to find an amp to make me fall in love with them...

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #33 of 160
lol yes I remember hearing the HE-500's at the meet and saying that you would love them. I bought a pair myself, but ended up sticking with my Sennheisers... too in love with their sound. I do have LCD-3F's now, just trying to find an amp to make me fall in love with them...

I would say the Concero HP or the Schiit Valhalla 2 shall not fail your LCD3... You don't have to get to Lyr 2, and I've heard lots of rave about Valhalla 2+HD800=heaven equation

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #34 of 160
I would say the Concero HP or the Schiit Valhalla 2 shall not fail your LCD3... You don't have to get to Lyr 2, and I've heard lots of rave about Valhalla 2+HD800=heaven equation

Yeah, I could see it working with the HD-800's, but I'm not convinced OTL is the way to romance the LCD's.... for example, my WA2 apparently puts out 550mW at 110ohms, and let's just say I would rather listen to my HD-650's than the LCD's on that amp 
confused_face.gif

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #35 of 160
Yeah, I could see it working with the HD-800's, but I'm not convinced OTL is the way to romance the LCD's.... for example, my WA2 apparently puts out 550mW at 110ohms, and let's just say I would rather listen to my HD-650's than the LCD's on that amp :confused_face:

Then please forget about the Valhalla 2...

BTW, does anyone know if we have guest wireless at U Cal?

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #36 of 160
I'm a continuing education student there, so will have access but don't think it's shareable. It would be cool if we can get guest access for everyone.

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #37 of 160
Hey everyone, I just got back from some muscle ripping hiking up near Banff, had to catch up on the PM's and this thread. We are up to 14 people coming now and there is still over a month to go before the meet! Wow!!

Quote:
Hi everyone, good news! Mr Travis of Headphonebar at Vancouver said he can loan me something to carry to the meet, so please check out the website and see if you have any interested products. Basically anything other than Auralic products.

Here's what I would like to see at the meet myself if you can bring it:
AMP:
Schiit Lyr 2

Headphones:
Hifiman HE-560

Not sure how much you can bring with you, but here are some other options that would be cool for everyone to try out:
Audeze EL-8 open and/or closed
Audeze LCD-XC
Grado GS1000e
Schiit Asgard 2

Yeah... those would be cool to hear. I'd also like to hear the Lyr 2, but it would probably be too big to bring from Van? My Woo WA2 just doesn't do the LCD's justice... need to try something with some more power. 

Any word on your Yggy @swich401 ? The more I read into R-2R DAC's, the more I want to hear one.

Yup, it's on its way to me as we speak. I expect to have it by next week! 
popcorn.gif

Yeah, I could see it working with the HD-800's, but I'm not convinced OTL is the way to romance the LCD's.... for example, my WA2 apparently puts out 550mW at 110ohms, and let's just say I would rather listen to my HD-650's than the LCD's on that amp 
confused_face.gif

At a sensitivity of ~102db/mW for the LCD-3's, the 550mW into 110ohms should be more than enough juice to drive the headphones to ear-bleeding levels. From reading reviews, the WA2 sound to be a bit too slow and "tubey" sounding of an amp for the LCD-3s. My opinion for the LCD-3's would be to get a more solid state sounding tube amp, or even a solid state amp. You'll definitely want to try out my modded Bottlehead Mainline; it's output transformer coupled, and sounds like a solid state amp combined with slightly liquid mids and smooth treble.

I'm a continuing education student there, so will have access but don't think it's shareable. It would be cool if we can get guest access for everyone.

I'll look into getting guest access for everyone using a temporary username and passcode for their internet

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #38 of 160

Here's what I would like to see at the meet myself if you can bring it:
AMP:
Schiit Lyr 2

Headphones:
Hifiman HE-560

Not sure how much you can bring with you, but here are some other options that would be cool for everyone to try out:
Audeze EL-8 open and/or closed
Audeze LCD-XC
Grado GS1000e
Schiit Asgard 2

Seems people are really interested in the Lyr 2 and the open EL 8! I have to check with Travis to see how many items I can get from him (I personally really want to bring the Concero HP). I think I might be able to put a Lyr 2 into my carry-on luggage case and wear the open EL 8 on my head. Would look stupid but totally worth it. 

... and hey, now we have a pretty big pile of Schiit: a Yggy, two Gungnirs, a Magni,a Fulla, and probably a Lyr 2!

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #40 of 160
I should be able to make it to this one. I'll be bringing my 650s, modded SR60s, and PortaPros. I'll bring my Carrie Amp (my own design), and my MacBook Pro for playing files. Looking forward to it!

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #41 of 160
  I should be able to make it to this one. I'll be bringing my 650s, modded SR60s, and PortaPros. I'll bring my Carrie Amp (my own design), and my MacBook Pro for playing files. Looking forward to it!

Great to have you! Don't forget to bring a DAC if you have one, we need more of those 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back