111 Years of Deutsche Grammophon: 55 CD Anthology
Sep 17, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #31 of 37
Amazon is listing the second box at a rather hefty 90 pounds (160 odd US dollars) - did the first one cost that much?

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #32 of 37

Quote:
Amazon is listing the second box at a rather hefty 90 pounds (160 odd US dollars) - did the first one cost that much?

I bought the first one for 79 euro's, where most shops in my area charged 99 euro's for the box. Amazon.de is listing the second edition for 78,99 euro's (it will be available on the 15th of october).
Btw, they still seem to have the first box on offer there... for 197 euro's.

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #33 of 37

Quote:
I bought the first one for 79 euro's, where most shops in my area charged 99 euro's for the box. Amazon.de is listing the second edition for 78,99 euro's (it will be available on the 15th of october).
Btw, they still seem to have the first box on offer there... for 197 euro's.

Great tip GeFa - I have got my credit card out and will be looking to receiving mine from Amazon.de in a months time!

Oct 5, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #34 of 37
Greetings!  I, too, had found out about the first 55 cd set too late....or so I had thought.  When I saw there was a new, second volume coming out I did a bit of poking around and discovered that the first set is now showing as "in stock" at the uk hmv website.  Yesterday, I placed an order for both sets and they've already shipped.  The first set was 99 pounds, so a lot cheaper than any ebay or amazon marketplace seller is asking for.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #35 of 37
DGG has reissued the first set.  Hope no one here paid premium OOP prices for it.  Amazon has it for $160 now, but yesterday it was $130.

As I write this, the second set is on sale at Amazon for $111.  I'd grab it at that price if you want it.  I did, even though it's a bit heavy on the vocal/opera for my taste.  Last week, it was $150-someting on Amazon. Last week J&R had it for $121 but this week their price is back up.

The big online retailers use automated models to adjust prices from day to day.  Based on what, I don't know.

There's also a similar box set celebrating the Living Stereo's out there. I have most of it already in one format or another, but I'd think it'd be pretty desireable for someone starting to build a classical collection.

Another FYI on this subject:  Amazon's been running a big discount on the Horowitz Complete Original Jacket Collection.  However, I'm saving my money for the forthcoming Heifetz set.

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #36 of 37
I hope this deal goes at least through the beginning of December, when I have some cash to throw at it.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #37 of 37
Just want to bump this thread because I've recently discovered this box set. 700+ tracks?! Wow

Also just wanted to add the entire set is on Spotify (both 5 CD and 55 cd set). I'll double check the itrate of the files tomorrow if it's uploaded in 320kbps or 160kbps, hopefully higher quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back