111 Years of Deutsche Grammophon: 55 CD Anthology
Oct 21, 2009 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
HOME | 111 Years Of Excellence | Deutsche Grammophon | [en_GB]

Just a heads-up, this is an excellent bargain with some essential gems inside (the only obvious fillers are the Netrebko and Villazon CDs
L3000.gif
). Available in amazon.com for $133.99.

Amazon.com: 111 Years of Deutsche Grammophon: 55 CD Anthology: Various Artists: Music

How many of these CDs do you guys have? For me I have:

Argerich Chopin Preludes (not bad but not great)
ESQ Art of Fugue (badass)
Fischer-Dieskau/Moore Winterreise (badass)
Gilels Beethoven Sonata (badass)
Jochum Carmina Burana (the worst Carmina Burana I have ever heard, stupid extreme tempos)
Karajan Beethoven Symphonie No. 9 (useless, compared to his 1963 recording)
Kleiber Beethoven Symphonie No. 5 and 7 (badass)
Karajan Brahms Violin/Double Concerto (not bad but not great)
Pollini Chopin Etudes (badass)
Karajan/Rostropovich Dvorak/Tchaikovsky Cello Concerto/Rokoko-Variationen (badass)
Walcha Bach Organ Works (badass)

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 37
They're missing Wagner's the Ring trilogy.
tongue.gif

Just kidding, that'd be like 12 more CDs.
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 37
I almost bought this yesterday. The price tag said $70. The store's pricing gun can't print the 3rd digit so it was really $170. They did have a hand written 1 that I but I didn't realize what it meant. Even at $170, it's a pretty good deal. I have 9 of the discs already.

FalconP, from the size of the box, it can't have the full liner notes on paper. There's just enough room for the 55 CDs in paper sleeves.

For a good version of the Ring cheap, Amazon.com: Wagner: The Great Operas from the Bayreuth Festival: Richard Wagner, Karl Bohm, James Levine, Wolfgang Sawallisch, Silvio Varviso, Birgit Nilsson, Leonie Rysanek, Anja Silja, Waltraud Meier, Astrid Varnay: Music. It has the Bohm Ring, as well as all of the other operas from the Flying Dutchman on. No libretti, but still worth the price.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 37
BTW there is a nice freebie on the dg-111 web site: if you register you can listen for free for a week to each of the 55 CDs. This week they have up a recital from Kozena singing Haendel

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 37
Just to let everyone know if you haven't seen the thread in the Members Lounge, Canadians can buy it on iTunes for $10 cdn at this moment.

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to let everyone know if you haven't seen the thread in the Members Lounge, Canadians can buy it on iTunes for $10 cdn at this moment.

Are you sure that's not the 5 disc set? It's on US iTunes for $20 and the 55 disc set is $120.

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure that's not the 5 disc set? It's on US iTunes for $20 and the 55 disc set is $120.

I purchased it, it is 730 tracks (7.25GB of 256 kbps AAC files), it is the 55 disc set.

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #11 of 37
Good to know it's all 55
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #13 of 37
purchased the set as FLAC downloads at the DG store yesterday ... can't wait to download them
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back