1000GB flac on-the-go successfully, streaming to iPhone/iPad/Android portables
Feb 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #91 of 118
Sorry, John. I cannot help with 24/96, as I do not have equipment to test it . I suggest looking into the following thread (if you have not already done so):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625493/ipad-with-24-bit-files-high-storage-capacity-portability-bit-perfect-configurations-that-works
Or PM Headfi member "Thraex".

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #92 of 118
Yeah, be interested to see about the battery life - you need to use the 'stream and download' setting in the Seagate media application in order to get that battery life. The Satellite couldn't play flac though, so if that remains true for the Wireless Plus and a separate application is required it may not do as well as the quoted 10 hours.

NZtechfreak,
How do you like your Seagate Wireless Plus? How is the battery life in your case? Please kindly comment, thanks!

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #93 of 118
Hi Folks,
I've recently joined the forum and am learning lots!

Just bought a Patriot Node yesterday and fitted a 1TB HDD, reformatted to NTFS and then downloaded 235GB of FLAC music overnight. All seemed okay so I downloaded a few free apps (on my ipad1 and iphone 3gs) and the results, so far, are as follows:-

1) Patriot Connect
  1. works well but makes me use another app to play back flac files e.g. OPlayerHD Lite
  2. will not automatically play the next tracks on the album?

2) 8player
  1. cannot get it connected - I'm not an IT person but I'm guessing this will only work with DLNA/UPNP servers (whatever they are!)

3) AceMusic
  1. works with a Samba server but the music cuts out every few seconds? Therefore, unusable :frowning2:

4) OPlayerHD Lite
  1. works with a Samba server but tracks are really slow to load, circa 1 minute for 16/44.1 files.
  2. there's alot of crackling/static in the background whilst the track is loading
  3. 24/96 flac files are even slower and when they eventually start they play from the middle of the track.

I'm really pleased with the PGN as I can store all my albums easily and access them whilst out walking. However, the apps I've tried, that do work, do not seem very robust. Any advice you can offer on these apps or any others I should try would be greatly appreciated?

Many thanks in advance,
Paul

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #94 of 118
^ Welcome to Headfi, Paul!

AcePlayer or AcePlayer Pro will work for you. Either is stable (pausing within tracks is very rare). Loading 24/96 flac will take 8-15 seconds. Crackling static may be due to screen activity of iPhone (e.g., opening web page, changing screen orientation) -- I fixed that by locking screen and stopping using all other apps.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #95 of 118
Thanks zzffnn,
I've downloaded AcePlayer Pro to iphone but when I try to connect to the Samba server it keeps replying that the "Connect failed!"? I've switched both units off and rebooted but to no avail.

However, as before, Patriot Connect can get the track to play via AcePlayer but it will not play rest of album!

Kind regards,
Paul

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #97 of 118
Quote:
^ Welcome to Headfi, Paul!

AcePlayer or AcePlayer Pro will work for you. Either is stable (pausing within tracks is very rare). Loading 24/96 flac will take 8-15 seconds. Crackling static may be due to screen activity of iPhone (e.g., opening web page, changing screen orientation) -- I fixed that by locking screen and stopping using all other apps.

Hi zzffnn,
Unfortunately, the AcePlayer app always crashes at the end of the first song! Any idea how to fix?
Many thanks,
Paul

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #98 of 118
Hi zzffnn,
Unfortunately, the AcePlayer app always crashes at the end of the first song! Any idea how to fix?
Many thanks,
Paul

Sorry Paul, I have no idea why or how to fix. Such crashing has not occurred to me. I have usd two iPhone 3GS' (AcePlayer Pro on ios5.0.1 and AcePlayer on iOS4.0.1), both of which work beautifully.

Maybe try:
1) killing unused app's;
2) using without bridge mode;
3) making sure that you set up Patriot Connect and AcePlayer apps correctly (user account/password and I.P. address).

Beyond that, I am not sure. I am no IT professional either - I only have working knowledge with computers.

Edit: I tested again on both of my iPhone 3GS'. No crashing. Running other apps does not seem to affect anything. Loading/skipping time is mostly 4-8 seconds with 24/96 flac.

I had oocsional pausing on the iPhone that has a semi-damaged (with reduced range/strength) wifi antenna, if the Patriot Node is 3 meters away from iPhone. However, once I moved the Patriot next to iPhone (the one with lesser wifi antenna), there was no pausing at all.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #99 of 118
Thanks zzffnn,
I've decided to update the ios software on the iphone 3gs and try later. Will let you know how I get on.
P.S. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the iphone5 which may be the best in the long run.

Good news though, I loaded AcePlayer onto the ipad1 and WOW what a great app! Whereas the iphone was, at best, sluggish but on the ipad the app runs like a greyhound, even with 24/96 files!

Thanks for your help,
Paul

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #100 of 118
For ultimate portability, this Sandisk wifi flash drive would likely work similarly (as post #2 of this thread):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DR8LAE2/ref=mw_dp_mdsc?dsc=1

The drawback of it is its USB2 connection and limited storage (it has 64GB integrated and one SDXC slot). Probably not worth it, if your sole purpose is music storage and playback (for that, you can use a 128GB SDXC with SD->microSD adapter and Sansa Clip+).

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

And here is an update: "Remote File Browser Pro" app works better (less crash, faster and better UI) than AcePlayer on ios5.
Now I am using:
Patriot Gauntlet Node (portable battery-powered NAS) -> SAMBA streaming -> Remote File Browser Pro app -> iPhone 3GS w/ IOS 5.

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #101 of 118
Does anyone have experience with the streaming performance/battery life of Maxell's AirStash? At 320kbps only about half of the bits(pun!) of my collection that I want within reach (~60GB) will fit on the iPhone 4. My goal here is to get as much storage as possible in as few components as possible... and fit it all in one pocket if possible. Seagate Wireless Plus and Patriot Gauntlet Node seem like outstanding solutions where size is slightly less of a restriction. Looks like unless reverting to a Clip+/iPod Classic/Cowon X9/etc most of this new tech may need an almost-daily charge, but I'm willing to compromise for the features involved. This is an ultra-portable rig, not a mini-audiophile solution. I haven't yet tried out the iPhone's battery with Wi-Fi continuously in use though - reputation is that it does 4 hours nonstop but I will have the display set to minimum or off while listening.

If anyone has an estimate on iPhone 4(not 4S) with WiFi full-on but display off I'd appreciate it! - phone functions off while using as player...

Clip+/MicroSD-to-SD/128GB card would be my next choice of hardware...the price on that setup is low enough I might could get it as a secondary for longer durations without charging. - looks like under $100 without the card!

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #102 of 118
  Does anyone have experience with the streaming performance/battery life of Maxell's AirStash? At 320kbps only about half of the bits(pun!) of my collection that I want within reach (~60GB) will fit on the iPhone 4. My goal here is to get as much storage as possible in as few components as possible... and fit it all in one pocket if possible. Seagate Wireless Plus and Patriot Gauntlet Node seem like outstanding solutions where size is slightly less of a restriction. Looks like unless reverting to a Clip+/iPod Classic/Cowon X9/etc most of this new tech may need an almost-daily charge, but I'm willing to compromise for the features involved. This is an ultra-portable rig, not a mini-audiophile solution. I haven't yet tried out the iPhone's battery with Wi-Fi continuously in use though - reputation is that it does 4 hours nonstop but I will have the display set to minimum or off while listening.

If anyone has an estimate on iPhone 4(not 4S) with WiFi full-on but display off I'd appreciate it! - phone functions off while using as player...

Clip+/MicroSD-to-SD/128GB card would be my next choice of hardware...the price on that setup is low enough I might could get it as a secondary for longer durations without charging. - looks like under $100 without the card!

Sorry, I don't have iPhone 4 nor Maxell AirStash. 4 hrs sounds about right. 
Clip+/MicroSD-to-SD/128GB card is an excellent option, I have that combo as well.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #104 of 118
D-Link are showcasing their DIR-510L AC750 Portable (battery-powered) Router/charger at CES 2014. I speculate that it can run most 2.5" drive (e.g., a 2TB one) from its USB port (5V/1A, Type A): http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/portable-routers/dir-510l-wi-fi-ac750-portable-router-and-charger

Not sure how much better its battery life is than Patriot Gauntlet Node though. With a USB drive stack with it, the D-Link stack will be bulkier for sure. However, the Gauntlet Node can only take 9.5mm drive - so it is nice to see the slim Samsung M9T 2TB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back