$1000 USD "Universal" Recommendations?
May 10, 2003 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Weichiek Sun

New Head-Fier
FWIW, I just spent the last three straight hours using the search button to gather opinionated information about "universal" players. I got a lot of different ideas and opinions. Naturally, I am a bit confused. I am looking to invest $1000 USD for a universal player but I would appreciate recommendations. Most of my music collection includes Redbook CDs and a few HDCDs. I do not currently own any DVD-Audio or SACD titles. I listen to a wide range of music including classical, jazz, pop, and rock. I need Redbook CD playback on par with my current source which is a NAD C541i. May I please ask you to offer recommendations? Lastly, how much do you think my current source will fetch (it is less than 3 months old)? Thank you.

May 10, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #2 of 24
Hi Welly Wu.

Biggie.

May 10, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Hi Welly Wu.

Biggie.

biggrin.gif
Exactly what I was thinking.

May 10, 2003 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Welly Welly Welly. I take it some people took issue with your "review"?
tongue.gif

Touchy subject.

Ummm, welcome back Welly I suppose.

May 10, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 24
Don't know what you guys are talking about. Weichiek Sun is asking a specific question, so your posts look a bit like waste of forum space.
Weichiek Sun, in a recent HiFi choice magazine round up Pioneer AV747i came as an absolute winner. I don't quite remember the price but I think it was below 1000£ . The thing plays everything redbook, DVD-A/V, SACD and mp3. According to the reviewers the redbook performance was very good. I havent heard it myself, so perhaps an owner can give you more info.

May 10, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 24
As far as universal players go, I am intrigued by the Denon DVD-2900. However, I don't think there are any reviews out.

May 10, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 24
I'm not sure what you mean by Universal player but I'd recommend the Cary 308 cd player for redbook playback under a thousand dollars.

May 10, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 24
Generally Universal means that it plays Redbook, DVD-A, SACD, and even DVD-V and HDCD. Though I'm not sure if Sun is looking for true universality, or if he is interested in only some format support. If he wants HDCD, in addition to SACD and DVD-A, he will have to spend a lot more than $1,000.

May 11, 2003 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by blr
Don't know what you guys are talking about. Weichiek Sun is asking a specific question, so your posts look a bit like waste of forum space.

That's because you never saw his magnificent review of-- uh, what was it? Etymotics phones? I think?-- 'twas a very interesting review, indeed.

- Chris

May 11, 2003 at 7:44 AM Post #12 of 24
Ety review?
confused.gif
Can somebody point me there to have a look?
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 11, 2003 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 24
I've been pretty pleased thus far with my Pioneer DV-47Ai. It doesn't do HDCD, but I'm not aware of any player that does all the new formats and HDCD.

May 11, 2003 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 24
Sorry messed up the model #
It is Pioneer DV 757Ai, the 747 was the last year model and the MSRP in UK is 800£, which means there is a chance for it to be found on the internet for close to 1000 USD

May 11, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Ety review? Can somebody point me there to have a look?

You could, but it no longer exists on the forum. It was an RS1 vs. Ety comparison, and it didn't go over very well. That's about all that needs to be said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back