1000 things you've learned from Head-Fi
Jan 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #241 of 457
290. There's a lot of misconceptions floating around this forum and other places, and the only way you'll know which ones are actually misconceptions is through personal experience.
291. If you don't write a guide, you're going to be correcting people on a case-by-case basis very often.

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #242 of 457
292. Trappin' ain't easy

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #244 of 457

Quote:

289.   We don't measure music, we listen to it.  

294. Actually we do. Believe it or not, all music can be derived mathematically. Early musicians were scientists or mathematicians, but now music has been dumbed down to "what sounds good to a few ears is good enough". Music that is not measured is either out of tune, out of beats, or out of this world (in a bad way).

295. Measurement and listening are not mutually exclusive, contrary to popular belief.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #245 of 457

Quote:
294. Actually we do. Believe it or not, all music can be derived mathematically. Early musicians were scientists or mathematicians, but now music has been dumbed down to "what sounds good to a few ears is good enough". Music that is not measured is either out of tune, out of beats, or out of this world (in a bad way).

295. Measurement and listening are not mutually exclusive, contrary to popular belief.

Hi there, what I really meant is that if it measures good and sounds bad, then it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good then it is good.  A gross oversimplification and also plagarized from (I believe) Nelson Pass. Or to put it another way, I don't watch music on an oscilloscope, I listen to it.  Bottom line is, don't over analyze the specs.
Personally I'm an amatuer (very amatuer!) drummer and I agree with your comment about tempo. Most of the music I listen to was recorded before Auto Tune and Pro Tools.

296.  "Don't fight it, feel it"   Sam Cooke

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #246 of 457
From Donald North's Signature:
"If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad; if it measures bad and sounds good, you have measured the wrong thing." - Daniel R. von Recklinghausen, former Chief Research Engineer, H.H. Scott

Quote:
Hi there, what I really meant is that if it measures good and sounds bad, then it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good then it is good.  A gross oversimplification and also plagarized from (I believe) Nelson Pass.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #247 of 457
297. If it measures well but sounds off under controlled conditions, you are measuring the wrong thing. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #248 of 457

Quote:
From Donald North's Signature:
"If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad; if it measures bad and sounds good, you have measured the wrong thing." - Daniel R. von Recklinghausen, former Chief Research Engineer, H.H. Scott

Quote:

Thanks!
Explains why I couldn't find it with a Nelson Pass google search.
You could apply this logic to SETs.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #249 of 457
298: Money very well could mean happiness. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #250 of 457
299. Even such a relatively harmless activity as listening to music on headphones, triggers cultural wars.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #251 of 457
300. I disagree with number 294 very strongly but would rather not make another full-page post to describe why.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #252 of 457

Quote:

Quote:
300. I disagree with number 294 very strongly but would rather not make another full-page post to describe why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_mathematics

301. No matter whether you're right or not, there're always people who disagree with you.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #253 of 457
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_mathematics

301. No matter whether you're right or not, there're always people who disagree with you.

You can throw in some Fourier and Nyquist while you're at it.

Though I wonder if he meant your last two sentences, which implies not only that modern music is inherently inferior but also that music must be structured a certain way to be good.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #254 of 457

Quote:

Go for it man!

When I used to play drums in a band, I used to make a point of practicing technique on my own so that when I played with the band I did not have to think about technique and the mechanics of music, I would only have to think about supporting the song, the singer, the other musicians.  Music is fundamentally about mechanics, technique, scales, time signatures, tempo, dynamics, etc, but ultimately this must all be used as a vehicle to express feelings, if notmusical technique and knowledge is for nothing. 

As Sam Cooke said, "Don't fight it, feel it".
As Charlie Parker said, "I'm just looking for the pretty notes".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back