1000-2000$ to spend, but how?
Mar 26, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #16 of 36
Ok, so it seems your preferred hardware source will be your Android phone.
It is not necessary to use an external DAC (DAC/Head amp) to use headphones with a portable source (smartphone).
Some headphones require higher amounts of power (voltage) to drive them, like headphones in the 250-Ohm to 600-Ohm range.
But there are lots of easy to drive (10-Ohm to 80-Ohm) headphones (or IEMs) what you could plug directly into the headphone jack of your smartphone.
It might come down to how good the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) chip and headphone amplifier, built into your phone

Guess you could say a lot of the regulars (old timers) on Head-Fi are always looking for a excuse to add a DAC/amp, to a source (and sometimes there is a good reason for it).
I'm actually listening to music with DT770 32ohm directly into the phone at the moment. Loudness is more than enough and the EQ on Spotify lets me adjust the missing mid frequencies fairly good. Only problem I'm having is my ears. Even with adjusted EQ my ears start to hurt after 30 min.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #17 of 36
The problem is I don't want to import things due to high import taxes. Can't find a R2R DAC here. :triportsad:

Ah yes, that does indeed suck! The alternative is to get the cheaper R2R-11 and eat the import tax cost, which still kinda sucks, but will still get you some excellent audio conversion at a lower total cost.

But PurpleAngel makes a good point about the level of power necessary vs the quality of the built-in DAC on an android phone. The LCD2c is not massively power hungry, but it isn’t super efficient either. If you’re going to be using your phone a lot as a source, battery life will be an issue. It might make sense to go with a portable DAC/amp to keep things lean. I would look at the upcoming FiiO Q5s and their new THX amp module.

If a desktop solution is what you’re looking for, I’d say your DAC needs are pretty basic, ultimately, because decoding Spotify is a pretty straightforward task. You could get away with one of the better Topping DACs, which have steadily gotten better in quality. Personally, I like the sound of grace DACs, but a Schiit Modi3 (or Multibit) DAC would be a good pairing with an Audeze headphone as well. You might want put a bit more into your amp purchase. I’d look at the Monoprice Liquid Platinum if you wanna splurge. But the Monoprice Liquid Spark or JDS Labs Atom would do fine, and you would be saving a lot of money.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #18 of 36
Ah yes, that does indeed suck! The alternative is to get the cheaper R2R-11 and eat the import tax cost, which still kinda sucks, but will still get you some excellent audio conversion at a lower total cost.

But PurpleAngel makes a good point about the level of power necessary vs the quality of the built-in DAC on an android phone. The LCD2c is not massively power hungry, but it isn’t super efficient either. If you’re going to be using your phone a lot as a source, battery life will be an issue. It might make sense to go with a portable DAC/amp to keep things lean. I would look at the upcoming FiiO Q5s and their new THX amp module.

If a desktop solution is what you’re looking for, I’d say your DAC needs are pretty basic, ultimately, because decoding Spotify is a pretty straightforward task. You could get away with one of the better Topping DACs, which have steadily gotten better in quality. Personally, I like the sound of grace DACs, but a Schiit Modi3 (or Multibit) DAC would be a good pairing with an Audeze headphone as well. You might want put a bit more into your amp purchase. I’d look at the Monoprice Liquid Platinum if you wanna splurge. But the Monoprice Liquid Spark or JDS Labs Atom would do fine, and you would be saving a lot of money.

For me having a DAC/AMP is really no problem, I just want to have a great listening experience.
Do you think there's a big difference in sound quality, connecting your phone via aux to an AMP vs connecting a device with USB to a DAC to an AMP(or DAC/AMP combo)?

Sadly none of your suggested AMPs are available here, so I don't think I can buy them because I also want to be able to get a quick replace product if something is wrong with it.
Here are some Brands that I can choose from:

Arcam
Argon
Astell & Kern
Beyerdynamic
Burson Audio
Cambridge Audio
Cocktail Audio
Dynavox
FiiO
Grado
Hifiman
Inakustik
Klipsch
Lindemann
Marantz
Matrix Audio
McIntosh
NuForce
Pioneer
Pro-Ject
QUAD
RME Audio
Sennheiser
TEAC

Can you suggest any of these?:dt880smile:

Edit: the FiiO Q5 is actually available. But in comparison to the RME ADI-2, is it any good? Because I don't want to buy something mid-range now just to buy something better later.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #21 of 36
Because it also dose that too! Its a swiss amry knife. Endgame amp/dac combo!

On high gain it pushes 10v ! I think you are new here and wont understand that. Its 10V ! Thats He-6 driving levels of power. This just means. You have all the power at your hands

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #22 of 36
Thanks for the answer.
As Audio-gd is not available here in Switzerland, what do you think of the RME ADI-2?
Audio-GD does have a few resellers, in Europe and I really like my Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp.
But as the source is your phone, it might be recommend that you get a smaller more portable DAC/amp, that can work with your phone, so it's easy to move from room to room (or chair).
The Audio-GD stuff is not what I think of as something to move around a lot.

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #23 of 36
Because it also dose that too! Its a swiss amry knife. Endgame amp/dac combo!

On high gain it pushes 10v ! I think you are new here and wont understand that. Its 10V ! Thats He-6 driving levels of power. This just means. You have all the power at your hands
You got me at swiss army knife. :dt880smile:
One last question just to be sure: I can connect an iOs device to an USB A-B cable (with proper adapter) and plug it in and it works?
If so, I'm pretty sure I'll buy it.

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #24 of 36
The problem is I don't want to import things due to high import taxes. Can't find a R2R DAC here. :triportsad:
When Audio-GD ships out stuff like their DAC/amps (direct from China), they will claim a low value (like $80) with the shipper, so low, if any import tax.
The Audio-GD products are sold at a store in Italy and the Netherlands and Poland.
But still think a more portable DAC/amp is better.

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #25 of 36
Audio-GD does have a few resellers, in Europe and I really like my Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp.
But as the source is your phone, it might be recommend that you get a smaller more portable DAC/amp, that can work with your phone, so it's easy to move from room to room (or chair).
The Audio-GD stuff is not what I think of as something to move around a lot.
I see, there's one in France (Audio-GD NFB-11.28).
I am not really looking for portability so it would be ok.
Price is definitely friendlier than the ADI-2.
I'll consider both, although I think I will buy the ADI-2 sooner or later anyways, so why not directly.

But thank you all anyways, very friendly forum! :dt880smile:

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #27 of 36
When Audio-GD ships out stuff like their DAC/amps (direct from China), they will claim a low value (like $80) with the shipper, so low, if any import tax.
The Audio-GD products are sold at a store in Italy and the Netherlands and Poland.
The thing is, I also want to be able to get it repaired/replaced if anything is damaged.
And if the retailer is here in Switzerland it will just be much simpler for me and them.

P.S: the customs here are very strict, they look at everything you import and it can take up to weeks for things to be shipped...

Mar 26, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #28 of 36
For me having a DAC/AMP is really no problem, I just want to have a great listening experience.
Do you think there's a big difference in sound quality, connecting your phone via aux to an AMP vs connecting a device with USB to a DAC to an AMP(or DAC/AMP combo)?

Sadly none of your suggested AMPs are available here, so I don't think I can buy them because I also want to be able to get a quick replace product if something is wrong with it.
Here are some Brands that I can choose from:

Can you suggest any of these?:dt880smile:

Edit: the FiiO Q5 is actually available. But in comparison to the RME ADI-2, is it any good? Because I don't want to buy something mid-range now just to buy something better later.

Hmm... allow me to answer your questions as best I can. Hopefully I will address your concerns even if I'm not directly responding line by line.

I think it's always better to feed an amp a line level output as opposed to maxing out your phone's volume on the headphone jack. To keep the signal clean, minimize distortion, and all that. I know some android devices do analog audio better than others, but I don't know which ones offhand. And I don't know if any output line level to avoid double amping. So, my best guess would be, if you're going to externally amp a phone, might as well offload the DAC as well, since you're probably going to save your phone battery in the long run.

Admittedly, though price tiers can be misleading, the FiiO Q5 does offer a lot of solution for your money, compared to a $1000 DAC/amp desktop combo. First of all, (and this is something I know very little about, but) if the USB input on the back of the ADI-2 won't recognize mobile devices for whatever reason, then you will probably need a bluetooth receiver to connect your phone to the DAC. Minimal, but additional cost and more stuff to potentially break.

The RME ADI-2 seems like a pretty great all-in-one device, on paper though. The real benefits to me are the great specs (though specs only tell part of the story), the DSP, the IEM out, and the power rating. The extra power is nice, but the LCD-2c won't need most of it. And you won't need the IEM out either, for obvious reasons. Does your phone already have a decent digital EQ? Then you won't *need* another one, though the implementation on the ADI-2 is cool and customizable and probably better than any Android DSP. Normally, I think it's easier to achieve better quality through a balanced connection, but the ADI-2 seems to have a fairly excellent spec sheet for a single-ended out, so it will likely sound just as good as the balanced out on the stock Q5, if not a tad better.

Ultimately, I recommend going for something cheaper and more flexible like the FiiO Q5. True, the Q5 out of the box might not be as good as the ADI-2, but with the portability factor (something I would not consider if it were not for the fact that you're using your phone as a digital source), including built-in bluetooth, different amp options (along with a recently announced THX amp module that looks to closely rival the performance of the ADI-2), and a cost that's less than half of the ADI-2, the Q5 seems like a much better deal for a small, upfront hit in performance. Then, you can put any savings into upgrading the Q5 amp module or invest in a nice balanced cable for the LCD-2c and close that gap between the ADI-2 and the Q5 even further.

Something to keep in mind is the update to the Q5 (Q5s) was recently announced, so the Q5 might go on sale, or you can wait for the Q5s to come out and get the better device. Sometimes, spending less money upfront means having more options should you decide that you don't want to feel stuck with some big expensive piece of gear.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #29 of 36
Hello!
Do you know if connecting an iPhone via USB works for sure on the Audio-GD NFB-11.28?
Thanks in advance!

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #30 of 36
My first question is, if there is a significant difference between playing music from a CD player vs. my phone?
The answer to that is a big, resounding yes! if you want to hear the utmost sound quality, then only a CD player plus amp combination will achieve this.
A PC/Tablet/Smartphone plus a standalone/portable amp (as long as it's a good amp) will be good but it will get you no where near the level of sound quality possible that a CD Player plus amp can achieve. With the money you have available to spend, you could build a phenomenal CD Player + amp + headphone system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back