$100 Turntable/Phono Stage combo for fun?
Jul 30, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #31 of 40
Well Hell, with all this talk about the Thoren's table's I just went ahead and snagged one off e-bay. (For a good price too I might add)
biggrin.gif
I need a winter project anyway's. Sooo is anyone familiar with the ARTEX modification ?

Jul 30, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn
Well Hell, with all this talk about the Thoren's table's I just went ahead and snagged one off e-bay. (For a good price too I might add)
biggrin.gif
I need a winter project anyway's. Sooo is anyone familiar with the ARTEX modification ?

Congradulations:which Thorens model did you get and is the tonearm stock or upgraded ?

Jul 30, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #34 of 40
If you want to upgrade it,a new tonearm and then a new plinth are the 2 basic things you can do other otherwise you could just install a cartridge like the Shure M97xE that I have on my Thorens and see what you think.I have no idea what gear you have or what your expectations are so I am a little lost for recommendations.Do a search of Memepool's posts because he always gives excellent advise.

Jul 31, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
I've never seen any reason to replace the stock tonearm on my TD-165. I've done a lot of work with it in my digital rig and tonearm resonances are pretty much nil.

Like Ssportsclay says with most of the stock Thorens arms you need to use a cartridge with a pretty rolled off top end because this is where the resonances are. I have the graphs in old issues of HFC if you are interested.

Having said that, this warm rolled off sound is what most people equate with records so it's not necessarily a bad thing, although it can lead to the misapprehension that vinyl is somehow band-limited if you have grown up with cd.

Another issue with the stock arms is that they are generally low mass which limits your choice of cartridges to high compliance ones like the Shure. This is because the bouncy suspension can't really accomodate very heavy tonearms. So unfortunately the budget giant killer Rega/Origin Live arms are not so well suited.

Read all about mass/compliance issues here http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttcartridge.html

The best arm upgrades for the TD160 then, like it says in the Hi-Fi World article quoted above, are arms which work well on the Linn Sondek. At the lower end of the spectrum price-wise the Linn LVV and LVX are probably the best bet and are both very good indeed.

SME 3009s are another classic albeit more expensive choice but have a very rose coloured signature sound which will not appeal to everyone.

There are loads of others. Actually if you PM Mattigol, who recently aquired a Thorens TD125, there is an arm which he got new for quite a resonable amount which the Thorens cognescenti in Germany highly recommended, can't remember the name but he is very happy with it.

There is a whole cottage industry of guys on ebay making new arm mounts, plinths and various tweaks for these decks so they are very well supported.

The 2nd most important weakness after the tonearm is the plinth, which on most of the TD150/160's and cheaper models is lightweight plywood. Substituting a better quality of heavier hardwood or composite fibreboard will improve the sonics, as will damping the underside of the top plate and platter/subplatter with bitumen or cork to reduce ringing effects.

An ebay seller called SRMTech in the UK makes pretty reasonably priced silicone platter mats which are also very good indeed. I have one on my TD125.

The last tweak is the motor powersupply. You can add a Linn Valhalla which lifts the performance to TD125 standards and adds electronic speed control or go the whole hog and get an Origin Live DC kit which isolates the electronics into an external box and adds a new DC motor.

The main strength of a TD160 that I found compared to any other Turntable I have had is the speed which you can get from a well set-up lightweight supsended subchasis. It pays to spend an afternoon tweaking the suspension springs so they bounce evenly. On recreating live drumming I have never heard anything better, except perhaps a Linn.

Aug 2, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
The TD-165 has a string antiskate... The 160 is different?

See ya
Steve

The TP-16 tonearm uses a magnetic antiskate mechanism (at least mine does). Frankly it's crap, but the arm itself isn't that bad -- IMO it's a little bit unfairly berated. The bearings on mine are extremely tight, VTA is fairly easily adjustable, etc. Not that bad an arm, although not up to the standards of modern tonearms (which are very high). Part of the problem is finding the right cartridge to match the compliance.

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
The TP-16 tonearm uses a magnetic antiskate mechanism (at least mine does). Frankly it's crap, but the arm itself isn't that bad -- IMO it's a little bit unfairly berated. The bearings on mine are extremely tight, VTA is fairly easily adjustable, etc. Not that bad an arm, although not up to the standards of modern tonearms (which are very high). Part of the problem is finding the right cartridge to match the compliance.

So what cartridges work well with the TD-160's stock TP-16 tonearm?

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by SprySpectre
So what cartridges work well with the TD-160's stock TP-16 tonearm?

Shure is the classic match for low mass tonearms. Most moving coils will be too stiff. You can calculate the compliance here http://www.audiotic.com/T&TSetup/T&TSetupFS.htm for any cart/arm combo. Not sure off hand of the effective mass of the TP16. It'll be somewere on the net.

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #40 of 40
I've used an Ortofon moving coil cartridge with no problems on my TD-165. Grado worked fine too.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back