$100 Turntable/Phono Stage combo for fun?
Jul 28, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 40
The TD-160 is pretty much all the turntable you'll ever need. It's simple, quiet and sturdy. That price is fair. I have a TD-165 myself.

See ya
Steve

Jul 29, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Hey Guys,

My Wife and I got some Vinyl recently and I would like to hear it on something other than her 'Disco 80' turntable... which is somewhat lacking in the sound quality department. Not to mention that it can only play on it's own built in speakers.
biggrin.gif

I'm not looking to build a real hi-fi setup yet, but would like something that does the job. Been thinking about the Numark Portable Turntable as it has everything built in... not to mention a headphone jack that might handle the K81DJ's nicely.

Any other suggestions?

I seem to remember a similarily priced turntable that had a USB output on it, which would be cool to record the vinyl to MP3 for my Wife's iPod. Any one remember who makes it?

I will probably try to get something better down the road, but this is it for now. I am thinking that it might be possible to mod the Numark to run off of a SLA battery with a simple charge circuit as it already has the capability of running off of D cell batteries. Also might try upgrading the built in phono stage at some point. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to polish a turd here, but it might be fun to tweak it and see how good it can get.
wink.gif

Thanks in advance,

Jason
340smile.gif

If you have any wood working skills,you might try building a plinth for an old rim drive turntable if this doesn't scare you.What's to be afraid of any way?Lenco/Goldring 75/78 G88/G99 are getting more expensive as people are becomming more aware of them but they can be found used in canada.The Rek-O-Kut Rondine Jr. can still be found cheap all over North America.You will need to build a new plinth for any of these models and install a new tonearm because the stock arms are crap.To learn more,go to Audiogon/Forum/Analog/Building a High End Table at Home Depot.

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Thirded. The Thorens TD-160 is a definite winner, one of the best value decks you can get 2nd hand. Great as is but with a few tweaks can take on pretty much any deck into 5000USD territory. Read about it here http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/olde...renstd150.html.

I keep reading that the TP 13a that came with the Thorens TD-150 Mk2 was actually a pretty good tonearm.Would a rewired TP 13a actually be that good.I was just wondering because I am not a fan of the TP 16 that comes with the TD-160.Perhaps the improved tonearm was an engineering mistake.Improved adjustments for poorer sound?

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
I keep reading that the TP 13a that came with the Thorens TD-150 Mk2 was actually a pretty good tonearm.Would a rewired TP 13a actually be that good.I was just wondering because I am not a fan of the TP 16 that comes with the TD-160.Perhaps the improved tonearm was an engineering mistake.Improved adjustments for poorer sound?

I havn't heard the stock Thorens arms because my TD160 came with an SME III. I also tried an SME 3009II and a Linn LVV and I have to say they all sounded very good.

The SME 3009 was wonderful with classical music and I can fully understand why so many people swear by them, the SMEIII was a bit less coloured but still had that full-on analogue richness. The Linn was probably the best all rounder and definitely the best value for money as you can pick them up for 50-100 UKP although prices are rising because they are a drop in fit for the Lenco L75/78.

I also got the Linn Valhalla upgrade which goes for around 100UKP on ebay but never got around to fitting it as I upgraded to a TD125.

I reckon the best upgrade path would be the arm, then plinth then power supply in that order.

As far as the Thorens arms go I should think all of them would benefit from rewiring as wiring standards were uniformly poor in those days. It's more a matter of whether it's worth blowing that much money on Incognito or Van Den Hull wiring and someone to re-do it when you can get such good value from the old Linn arms where the wiring is already of a much better standard.

Jul 29, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Been thinking about the Numark Portable Turntable as it has everything built in... not to mention a headphone jack that might handle the K81DJ's nicely.

Any other suggestions?

I seem to remember a similarily priced turntable that had a USB output on it, which would be cool to record the vinyl to MP3 for my Wife's iPod. Any one remember who makes it?

I will probably try to get something better down the road, but this is it for now. I am thinking that it might be possible to mod the Numark to run off of a SLA battery with a simple charge circuit as it already has the capability of running off of D cell batteries. Also might try upgrading the built in phono stage at some point. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to polish a turd here, but it might be fun to tweak it and see how good it can get.
wink.gif

So other than the wording used, what's the difference between that and polishing a turd?
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

I havn't heard the stock Thorens arms because my TD160 came with an SME III. I also tried an SME 3009II and a Linn LVV and I have to say they all sounded very good.

The SME 3009 was wonderful with classical music and I can fully understand why so many people swear by them, the SMEIII was a bit less coloured but still had that full-on analogue richness. The Linn was probably the best all rounder and definitely the best value for money as you can pick them up for 50-100 UKP although prices are rising because they are a drop in fit for the Lenco L75/78.

I also got the Linn Valhalla upgrade which goes for around 100UKP on ebay but never got around to fitting it as I upgraded to a TD125.

I reckon the best upgrade path would be the arm, then plinth then power supply in that order.

As far as the Thorens arms go I should think all of them would benefit from rewiring as wiring standards were uniformly poor in those days. It's more a matter of whether it's worth blowing that much money on Incognito or Van Den Hull wiring and someone to re-do it when you can get such good value from the old Linn arms where the wiring is already of a much better standard.

I own a Thorens TD-160 with the stock TP 16 tonearm.I think its a fine turntable but the tonearm I cannot recommend.I am going to go against the grain and vote for the Thorens TD-150 Mk2 with the TP 13a tonearm as the better plug and play turntable.The string weight antiskate TP 13a tonearm may be uglier than the south end of a nothbound worthog,but I bet it will sound better than a stock TD-160 and it can probably be had at a lower price.The ugly tonearm makes it a better value.

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #24 of 40
The TD-165 has a string antiskate... The 160 is different?

See ya
Steve

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
The TD-165 has a string antiskate... The 160 is different?

See ya
Steve

Hi Bigshot:the TD-165 comes with a TP 11 tonearm which is basically a TP 16 with a string weight antiskate.The TP 13a is the ugly tonearm that is highly reguarded which was furnished only on the TD-150 Mk2 as far as I know.Your tonearm can be replaced with a Linn LVV OR LVX with the addition of a new armboard.

Jul 30, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
Hi Bigshot:the TD-165 comes with a TP 11 tonearm which is basically a TP 16 with a string weight antiskate.The TP 13a is the ugly tonearm that is highly reguarded which was furnished only on the TD-150 Mk2 as far as I know.Your tonearm can be replaced with a Linn LVV OR LVX with the addition of a new armboard.

Ugly is relative... It's the "ball arm" you mean, right? Nice simplicistic construction, albeit admittedly a bit odd looking. I think I've only once heard that thing (with some nice old Elac cart, iirc), and remember that as a nice sounding, capable combo on the 150II.

But you're right, quite a few Thorens arm weren't that great - still fairly good stuff, but mostly not on level with the quality of the tables. E.g., I wouldn't rate models like the TP11 or TP16 much higher than some of the good Dual arms.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 30, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #27 of 40
Ssportclay I think you may be being too picky in this instance. Any TD150/160 or 147/165 for that matter is a very fine turntable in stock form for under 200USD especially since the guy in the add claims to have serviced it as well.

It's by far and away one of the best turntables ever made, all things considered and I would recommend snapping it up without question rather than indulging in a search for a model from a particular era which may prove prolonged if not fruitless. How common are these in USA/Canada anyway? surely they would have been more expensive because they are imported from Europe.

The fact that it is so tweakable is one of it's strongest suites and the many possible upgrades can come latter.

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Ssportclay I think you may be being too picky in this instance. Any TD150/160 or 147/165 for that matter is a very fine turntable in stock form for under 200USD especially since the guy in the add claims to have serviced it as well.

It's by far and away one of the best turntables ever made, all things considered and I would recommend snapping it up without question rather than indulging in a search for a model from a particular era which may prove prolonged if not fruitless. How common are these in USA/Canada anyway? surely they would have been more expensive because they are imported from Europe.

The fact that it is so tweakable is one of it's strongest suites and the many possible upgrades can come latter.

I probably am being picky.Thorens turntables are all very well made and their tonearms were probably no worse than any of their competitors for the time.The Tp 13a is suppose to be one of their better designs of the era soundwise

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #29 of 40
I've never seen any reason to replace the stock tonearm on my TD-165. I've done a lot of work with it in my digital rig and tonearm resonances are pretty much nil.

See ya
Steve

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
I've never seen any reason to replace the stock tonearm on my TD-165. I've done a lot of work with it in my digital rig and tonearm resonances are pretty much nil.

See ya
Steve

I have a Shure M97xE mounted on the TP 16 tonearm of my Thorens TD-160.This cartridge tracks just fine without any tendency of sibilants or spitting.It is only when you get into the more expensive cartridges that the stock tonearm falls short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back