$100 Turntable/Phono Stage combo for fun?
Jul 27, 2006 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Guys,

My Wife and I got some Vinyl recently and I would like to hear it on something other than her 'Disco 80' turntable... which is somewhat lacking in the sound quality department. Not to mention that it can only play on it's own built in speakers.
biggrin.gif

I'm not looking to build a real hi-fi setup yet, but would like something that does the job. Been thinking about the Numark Portable Turntable as it has everything built in... not to mention a headphone jack that might handle the K81DJ's nicely.

Any other suggestions?

I seem to remember a similarily priced turntable that had a USB output on it, which would be cool to record the vinyl to MP3 for my Wife's iPod. Any one remember who makes it?

I will probably try to get something better down the road, but this is it for now. I am thinking that it might be possible to mod the Numark to run off of a SLA battery with a simple charge circuit as it already has the capability of running off of D cell batteries. Also might try upgrading the built in phono stage at some point. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to polish a turd here, but it might be fun to tweak it and see how good it can get.
wink.gif

Thanks in advance,

Jason
340smile.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Hey Guys,

My Wife and I got some Vinyl recently and I would like to hear it on something other than her 'Disco 80' turntable... which is somewhat lacking in the sound quality department. Not to mention that it can only play on it's own built in speakers.
biggrin.gif

I'm not looking to build a real hi-fi setup yet, but would like something that does the job. Been thinking about the Numark Portable Turntable as it has everything built in... not to mention a headphone jack that might handle the K81DJ's nicely.

Any other suggestions?

I seem to remember a similarily priced turntable that had a USB output on it, which would be cool to record the vinyl to MP3 for my Wife's iPod. Any one remember who makes it?

I will probably try to get something better down the road, but this is it for now. I am thinking that it might be possible to mod the Numark to run off of a SLA battery with a simple charge circuit as it already has the capability of running off of D cell batteries. Also might try upgrading the built in phono stage at some point. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to polish a turd here, but it might be fun to tweak it and see how good it can get.
wink.gif

If you are buying 2nd hand vinyl at thrift stores or yard sales where they wont have anywhere to listen to the records then something like the numark is a useful tool but not if you are buying new from a shop.

Putting brand new records on a machine like the disco80 or numark is more likely to damage them than anything else. If you want a portable then look for an Audio Technica Soundburger 2nd hand as these are by the far the most common good quality portable.

If you want a fixed set -up which is really essential if you want to listen properly then your best bet is to look out for a 2nd hand Dual or Technics in the local classified ads or ask around amongst friends and neighbours to see if anyone has a "record player" or "gramophone" in their attic they don't want.

It should be possible to get a semi decent deck for 50 or 75 USD and a new Audio Technica cartridge and Rat-Shack phono stage for around 30-40USD. This will be much much better than the deck on Amazon with the built in usb output, which is I think Audio Technica and is fairly crap. Not much of a step up from the Disco 80 in engineering terms which is what really counts for sound quality. No amount of tweaking to the phono stage will cure it's fundamentally lacking build quality.

If you want to put music on an ipod, you plug the tape outputs from your reciever or amp into your soundcard and record away.

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 40
Are you sure the Numark is SO bad as to damage the vinyl? I mean, they do make decent players do they not?

I don't really need the thing to be portable... this is just the cheap integrated turntable/phono stage that I came across and it happens to run on batteries.

"No amount of tweaking to the phono stage will cure it's fundamentally lacking build quality."

I was thinking more along the lines of replacing it with a DIY phono stage.
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 40
Your best bet is garage sales, Goodwill or eBay (local sellers only to save on shipping). If you're lucky, you will find something like a decent Dual or Technics for next to nothing. The keyword here is "buy used" but make sure the cartridge is not worn...it will damage your records. Do you have some kind of phono stage or receiver?

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinyl addict
Do you have some kind of phono stage or receiver?

No, part of the reason I wanted a cheap on that had a built in phono stage. I am definately going to keep my eye open for garage sales... good idea. Buying them on eBay is ok, but the shipping is killer.

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Are you sure the Numark is SO bad as to damage the vinyl? I mean, they do make decent players do they not?

I don't really need the thing to be portable... this is just the cheap integrated turntable/phono stage that I came across and it happens to run on batteries.

"No amount of tweaking to the phono stage will cure it's fundamentally lacking build quality."

I was thinking more along the lines of replacing it with a DIY phono stage.
wink.gif

The most important part to consider in buying a turntable is the quality of the main bearing and motor and the sonic properties of the materials used to construct the plinth on which this all sits.

If it's an integrated model (ie the arm is not removable) as most of the cheaper ones are then the quality and construction of the bearings / tonearm are also crucial to the sound quality.

Remember a record player is basically a seismograph, ie it works by trying to accurately measure vibrations therefore the higher quality the engineering, the finer the tolerances the better it will be able to function.

The actual electronics involved are fairly minimal so the influence of changing the quality of these will have a minimal effect if the mechanical parts upstream are not of sufficient quality.

Numark stuff is mostly budget DJ fodder and not worth considering. It's made of plastic and cheap pressed steel which rings like a doorbell. The portable all-in-one device you are referring to is about as close to Hi-Fi as the Fisher Price record player. Its fine for checking stuff out at a yard sale or record fair but I wouldn't put anything I really cared about near one of those things.

A decent 2nd hand Dual or Technics is in a different league altogether.

Jul 27, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 40
I found a Pioneer Direct Drive TT by the side of the road a few months ago. It lacked a cartridge but it works. I would be happy to give it to you when you come down for the 2007 International Meet.
tongue.gif
Shipping it in the meantime would be a ridiculous waste of money.

A little more immediate satisfaction can be had by following the advice of memepool and vinyl addict by looking for a TT and a receiver at a garage sale, thrift shop, Goodwill or in the the classifieds. Is there a Craig's List in Canada? Anyway, you can find a decent Dual, Technics, Pioneer, Kenwood, or even Sony TT and any old receiver will have a build in phono stage. You can even buy a reasonable cartridge for $50 if you are feeling frisky. Viola, $50-100 later you are a vinyl guy!

Good hunting.

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 40
remember you get what you pay for

this is kinda like i got these headphones on the airplane are they gonna sound good when i amp them? or can i use my $10 flash card reader with them straight?

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 40
Honestly if you can find one of the old 80's vintage Technics Linear Tracking tables at a garage sale or somewhere, they're dirt cheap and not half bad for the money.

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 40
Thanks for the tips guys, and thanks for the offer Voltron! I just might take you up on that if I don't have a table by then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Honestly if you can find one of the old 80's vintage Technics Linear Tracking tables at a garage sale or somewhere, they're dirt cheap and not half bad for the money.

Not a bad idea - my first proper stereo table was an SL-5, which wasn't bad with its stock cartridge (EPC-P24S, iirc), and even fairly good with the AT (AT122EP, I think) I mounted later on as an upgrade.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 28, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Not a bad idea - my first proper stereo table was an SL-5, which wasn't bad with its stock cartridge (EPC-P24S, iirc), and even fairly good with the AT (AT122EP, I think) I mounted later on as an upgrade.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Yep same one I had. I put an ortophon cartridge on mine.

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #15 of 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back