$100-$200 closed back headphones
Feb 11, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #16 of 25
Nice deal. That is hard to beat. I'd be tempted myself, but I have too many phones already. Authorized dealer so you should have full warranty.

I emailed the seller asking why they were open box.  Gonna buy those depending on what their response is.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #17 of 25
Usually either a store demo or more likely a customer return from someone who didn't like the sound signature or the fit. They may not give you a specific reply on a particular item. If they are returnable, I wouldn't worry about it. Even if not, at that price you could probably resell at a profit.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #18 of 25
Momentum is very laid back in terms of treble. I think it's probably the only closed Sennheiser headphone that sounds great. I prefer a sharper treble especially for classic rock, but the Momentum is so smooth and well proportioned that you won't notice that it's pretty well laid back because it just sounds good.

The earcups are definitely smaller than M50X earcups but still comfy for a while even partially on ear for me ...and that vminnovations deal is a steal! 

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #19 of 25
I would propose you:
Soundmagic HP100/150. Very nice headphones, comfortable and fit your budget. You may want to add a smooth dac/amp with them.
They're not closed but Fidelio L2 will fit the bill as well (new they're over your budget but used it should be ok)
Beyerdynamic DT1350 if you want something more portable (on ears)

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #22 of 25
Yeah if the Soundmagic hp150 can get harsh in the highs, definitely a no go for me.  How does all these headphones compare to the hd595? I have the 595 and quite like them. Obviously less soundstage since its open vs closed, but sound signature wise, how do they compare?

Also I have a fiio e10k amp/dac combo coming in today that I will be running all my headphones through.  (my computer soundcard can barely drive 32ohm phones).

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #23 of 25
I haven't heard the Soundmagic but they haven't been described as harsh, just neutral and not rolled off.  They publish their frequency response in their packaging (for however much that is to be believed) and they are basically a straight line, at least the open version.  The closed version looks pretty flat too, just with a little more small peaks and dips.

I'm surprised you like the 595.  I owned them for a while and thought they were a little harsh, but the AT 50x does not sound fatiguing to me at all.

Also, open phones tend to soundstage better than closed phones, not the other way around.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #24 of 25
I haven't heard the Soundmagic but they haven't been described as harsh, just neutral and not rolled off.  They publish their frequency response in their packaging (for however much that is to be believed) and they are basically a straight line, at least the open version.  The closed version looks pretty flat too, just with a little more small peaks and dips.

I'm surprised you like the 595.  I owned them for a while and thought they were a little harsh, but the AT 50x does not sound fatiguing to me at all.

Also, open phones tend to soundstage better than closed phones, not the other way around.

Yea that's what I meant. Idk if maybe it is just the open design, or the way I have them eq'd, but I really like my 595. I've read that the newer version can be a bit bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back