$100-$150, closed ear
Jan 11, 2011 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kjhovey

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for some closed ear headphones that are in the price range of about 100-150 (can vary a little). I've searched around and thought about the Audio Technica M50s, but some people say they are uncomfortable. I will be using these in a library often, so closed cans are needed.

I'm pretty much a rock only type of guy. I'm into bands like The Fall of Troy that have a lot of tempo changes and some unique guitar riffs, but I'm also a big Say Anything fan, which has a lot of vocals. I'm not huge into bass, but I do like a little.

If I could get some recommendations I'd appreciate it! I use to wear a pair of Bose that were around $100, just to let you all know where I'm coming from. I like them, but from what I understand, they are over priced and there's much better quality out there.

Thanks for any help!

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 12
Not sure where you are reading, but very few will say the m50 is uncomfortable.

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 12
I was actually lurking around here and amazon reviews for a while. I just heard a few people say they were uncomfortable, so I thought I would mention an issue that I might have after hearing from others. So you don't think they are comfortable?

Edit: didn't mean to say "many" in topic, will change.

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 12
Typically, a well isolating closed can will need to have a nice firm clamp. M50 or SRH440/840's are as least clampy as they get in this category.

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 12
Agreed. Shure's or M50's.

I haven't heard the Shure's personally, they get a lot of love here from people. The M50's I have. Great isolation, great  overall sound. They can basically handle any type of music you throw at it. Out of the box I found that they were uncomfortable (they clamped too hard on my head). However, as you use them, they stretch out and become much better.

Also, with long listening sessions your ears do get hot a sweaty after a while. But that's the nature of all closed phones I guess....

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 12
For your price range M50 and Shure are probably the most common, as people have already mentioned. I would avoid the 440's though. They are much more UNcomforatble that the M50's. Try out the 840's though.

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 12
Just curious. Where do the ATH-A700's, HD448's and HD280's stand in this discussion?
Trying to find headphones as a gift in the same price range. Personally I love AT and Sennheiser, so I'm a bit partial, but would love to hear some other opinions on those particular models...

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 12
Well I ordered the HD448's a few weeks ago. The bass was terrible (I don't consider myself a basshead). I knew these weren't bass heavy but my god it was bad. I burnt them in for about 50 hours with pink noise. Still horrible bass. I recently returned those. Maybe you listen to different types of music but if you listen to any hip-hop, I'd steer clear of those. Other than bass though, they aren't too bad. I just ordered the ATH m50's because I heard on here that they have way better bass.

Quote:
Just curious. Where do the ATH-A700's, HD448's and HD280's stand in this discussion?
Trying to find headphones as a gift in the same price range. Personally I love AT and Sennheiser, so I'm a bit partial, but would love to hear some other opinions on those particular models...

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #11 of 12
i would say shure is your best bet. i would personally get the srh750dj headphones. the srh840 is also really good but lacks bass control. it also tends to make it really easy to find problems with the recordings you listen to. say its recorded bad. it will sound bad. in other words. you need good recordings to make them sound their best.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 12

[size=medium]
well, it's for a friend and i don't think a lot of her music is bass heavy. i'll keep that in mind though. thanks for the input. just wish they had a store out here that had some to listen to. 
[/size]

Quote:
Well I ordered the HD448's a few weeks ago. The bass was terrible (I don't consider myself a basshead). I knew these weren't bass heavy but my god it was bad. I burnt them in for about 50 hours with pink noise. Still horrible bass. I recently returned those. Maybe you listen to different types of music but if you listen to any hip-hop, I'd steer clear of those. Other than bass though, they aren't too bad. I just ordered the ATH m50's because I heard on here that they have way better bass.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back