$10-$55 portable amps for SHR840s
Feb 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

itzjon

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone I was wondering what portable amp you think i should get for the SRH840 that i use on my iphone. i listen to everything but mostly hiphop/rap and pop. i am using it around school and traveling, buses, planes, and cars and at the poker tables. I am trying to spend around $10-$55

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 19
none.

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 19
I agree, I don't think you will find a portable amp in that price range of better quality than the one inside your ipod (or other portable player). Remember, there is an amp inside any DAP and it ain't that bad.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 19
Maybe a Fiio e1?
But still it wouldn't be a huge improvement.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthecheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe a Fiio e1?
But still it wouldn't be a huge improvement.

I find the e1 to be a very good step up from the headphone jack of my 4th gen Nano. It is using the line out signal, after all.

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 19
I use the E5 to good effect with my Shures and a D2...school & poker tables?!

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 19
Cmoy, Pa2v2 Welcome To Electric-Avenues.com ! , amps not made anymore like Shellbrook minimoy and minihead, Little Dot, a few on Ebay that are untested by most on Head-Fi.

Dont expect miracles. Of that list, the Shellbrook would sound the best.

Seriously, unless you get really lucky, id save up $100usd and get something better.

Just noticed the last part of what you wrote....., Who wears large closed phones while gambling at a poker table? Dont you want to hear what people are saying? Hearing a "sigh" can tell you alot.

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #10 of 19
id say try and up your budget or, wait until you can spend more till you get an amp or the results will be negative or non existent.

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 19
Many will tell you cheapo amps do not improve SQ. Not my experience. My E5 is a very significant improvement with either my Cowon D2 or Sansa Fuze and RE2 IEM's. Well worth the $20, or less, since I bought it with the RE2's as a package.

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
none.

Agreed. Given a Line out dock to properly bypass the iPhone amp will cost 3-4 times as much as a cheapo loud button (sorry, "amp"), it's a conspicuous waste of cash.

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 19
The definitive answer as usual by our Head-Fi experts is.....DEFINIATELY.....

Yes
No
Yes
No
Yes
No.........

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The definitive answer as usual by our Head-Fi experts is.....DEFINIATELY.....

Yes
No
Yes
No
Yes
No.........

lol. i will just say my experience with the fiioe1 was that it did nothing while preventing my volume controls on the ipod.

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 19
A second hand headphone amplifier can do the trick. I bought a Yamaha MA 10 via Head-Fi which I like very much. It's an oldie and you can either take a gamble or just be very picky about second hand gear.

A Fiio E5 can be good, I have one but as good as it is it doesn't add much for my ears plus you have to set amplification by hearing which isn't always handy. I prefer to be able to read the amount of amplification.

With a bit (or a lot) of research you'll find something, just be picky if you don't like to gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back