「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
May 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #76,141 of 177,750
Aw yiss, got my headphones in the process of trading, so it's time to go back to an animu avatar. The only thing is... Which one?

May 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #76,147 of 177,750
Yui wasn't getting any love, so I decided to pick her. I'll do empty dog suit later.

May 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #76,150 of 177,750
Didn't have a good screen grab of her in tomato suit.

1325685710706.gif

May 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #76,152 of 177,750
Quote:
Yep. They all represent Imperialism. But not to each country they symbolize.

Current standards today ignore those issues of right and wrong of what happened in a war. The standards of today for medals and soldiers is that they served their duty to their countries and thus they deserve it. I don't have an opinion on which way we should choose. But since that is the standard for today. The German WW2 Veterans should be treated as such.

American and British veterans stroll about in hats and shirts with their countries on it and often wear novtelty hats with warships names on it and such. They get honored by all the people, their state, and their communities. They were veterans. This is how it is today. A small group of people in an organization of each and every country committed mass war crimes during WW2. The U.K was the worst committer of the allied powers during WW2. But that doesn't matter in today's standards. Why? Because these are just ordinary men who served when their country needed them. They may not have done so on purpose, but they served in a time of need. And that was their life.

I see documentaries and info that German veterans. Kinda just hold it back, kinda sheeplishly saying their experiences like a maimed dog. 

And the countries that honor the less savory of their war veterans, or have a ton of national pride tend to get looked down at or hated for it. 

I'm not saying that is the way it is supposed to be, but look at Yasukuni Shrine and Japanese foreign relations, or patriotic people and Japanese foreign relations. The Japanese are nowhere as nationalistic as the Americans or Brits, and they get a load of crap from most of the rest of East Asia for it. Though German WW2 veterans deserve to be honored as much as any country's, I don't think it is advantageous for the Germans to honor them. 

May 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #76,154 of 177,750
Quote:
And the countries that honor the less savory of their war veterans, or have a ton of national pride tend to get looked down at or hated for it. 

I'm not saying that is the way it is supposed to be, but look at Yasukuni Shrine and Japanese foreign relations, or patriotic people and Japanese foreign relations. The Japanese are nowhere as nationalistic as the Americans or Brits, and they get a load of crap from most of the rest of East Asia for it. Though German WW2 veterans deserve to be honored as much as any country's, I don't think it is advantageous for the Germans to honor them. 

The only big one that comes to mind is Germany and the Soviet Union. And these are all with regimes no longer there. And even then, the old 'less savory' ones are still reverred in Russia today.

It's not advantageous. NOTHING is advantageous these days for Germany in nationalism. Why? Because America threw down the symbol of the Swasitka as hate. Do you feel hate when you see the Communist Sickle and Hammer? Now, do you think people feel hate when they see the symbol of the Empire of Japan? These are all just symbols that have been severely perverssed and thus it can't be changed anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back