「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
May 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #76,021 of 177,745
Hey guys, does anyone have some recommendations for a laptop? I think mine is on its last legs now. I think I've narrowed my choices down to the Vaio E, Lenovo y500, Asus G75VW, and Toshiba Qosmio X870. I want something that has a large screen that will allow me to compare documents side by side, and something that can run CAD and FEA programs well (I made the mistake of getting a laptop that wasn't strong on graphics because I didn't know I'd need it last time). A good sound card would also be a huge plus for obvious reasons. The 4 that I've listed seem to have the same specs posted, so does anyone know what differentiates them? I'm open to other options as well, but no Macs.

Use the windows key to compare side by side

Alienware, Asus ROG, MSI are fav choices for gaming laptops

There are some other near custom gaming laptops for sale from Origin and Sager and other companies as well.

in the armskote room of each company there are hundreds of them on racks
Dayunmm. For a peaceful city state. You sure have lots of guns

May 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #76,022 of 177,745
Quote:
Dayunmm. For a peaceful city state. You sure have lots of guns

Well, peace does not last forever

And Singapore spends really heavily on defence (my estimate is 20% of GDP)

May 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #76,023 of 177,745
Laptop. Thinkpad >>>> All other Lenovo stuff. The majority of Thinkpad engineering and design is still done by the exIBM team in Japan and North Carolina (and I think some NEC guys jumped shipp after Lenovo and NEC buddied up). A lot of the technology developed on one side gets to the other (example, the keyboard design principles), but the talent works on Thinkpad. 

I would recommend:
-Wait for Haswell. It's not that close, but if you can eke out a few more months out of your current laptop, it will be worth it. 
-Get a business laptop. Will cost more, but they are built solid, designed for long term reliability, are easier to fix if they do fail, and are much nicer to use than gaming laptops. 
Quote:
So what do y'all think of the webcomic homestuck? ex wanted an honest review...

Not bad? The first part is very enjoyable if you get the jokes, and apparently pretty boring otherwise. Then it got popular and the level of niche humor was greatly reduced. The story while coherent, does not seem particularly well done, and stuff seems to happen to mess with fans, but it's pretty enjoyable. The fanbase is particularly rabid. 

I think it's still on hiatus so if you want to get in the the craze, now would be an excellent time. 

May 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #76,024 of 177,745
Holy schit....it's like in the movies when a bridge collapses from C4 bombs.
http://mynorthwest.com/11/2281167/I5-bridge-collapses-over-Skagit-River-near-Mount-Vernon-cars-in-river

I really don't trust civil engineers in Washington...did you guys ever learn about resonant frequencies?

Yup, Washington again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

May 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #76,025 of 177,745
Quote:
http://mynorthwest.com/11/2281167/I5-bridge-collapses-over-Skagit-River-near-Mount-Vernon-cars-in-river

I really don't trust civil engineers in Washington...did you guys ever learn about resonant frequencies?

Yup, Washington again.

isn't it areoelastic fluttering and not mechanical resonance?

or is it the same thing?

May 23, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #76,026 of 177,745
Quote:
Hey guys, does anyone have some recommendations for a laptop? I think mine is on its last legs now. I think I've narrowed my choices down to the Vaio E, Lenovo y500, Asus G75VW, and Toshiba Qosmio X870. I want something that has a large screen that will allow me to compare documents side by side, and something that can run CAD and FEA programs well (I made the mistake of getting a laptop that wasn't strong on graphics because I didn't know I'd need it last time). A good sound card would also be a huge plus for obvious reasons. The 4 that I've listed seem to have the same specs posted, so does anyone know what differentiates them? I'm open to other options as well, but no Macs.

Word of advice: Prepare yourself a copy of non-Windows 8.
Ever since I installed Win 8 cause my Win7 didn't want to copy over to my smaller drive, I've lost the use of CAD softwares.
Unless 2014 version software of AutoDesk stuff are out.

Quote:
Laptop. Thinkpad >>>> All other Lenovo stuff. The majority of Thinkpad engineering and design is still done by the exIBM team in Japan and North Carolina (and I think some NEC guys jumped shipp after Lenovo and NEC buddied up). A lot of the technology developed on one side gets to the other (example, the keyboard design principles), but the talent works on Thinkpad. 

Thinkpads are great but I do find their screens lacking in the pretty factor.
And most of the models I see use Intel integrated graphics...
The workstation models aren't as easy to come across (AFAIK, but I didn't look that deep into Thinkpads cause they so expensive).

May 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #76,029 of 177,745
Quote:

Yup, Washington again.

I think they do, but not enough to apply it in construction designs.

May 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #76,030 of 177,745
Quote:
Quote:
Uh, Google Play gift card? Or are those only available in 'Mericuh...

I see apple cards EVERYWHERE but not a single trace of google.
mad.gif

Huh, they're around here in 'Mericuh, but I'm not sure about the rest of the world...

May 24, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #76,032 of 177,745
Holy moly the thread is dead tonight. Oh well, I'm off to go play eroge... 
ph34r.gif

Oyasumi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back