「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Mar 24, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #67,336 of 177,744
Quote:
Nah, I graduated, um, heh, quite a few years ago, I am a Mechanical Engineer (design engieer, Snowmobiles).

I get to proof read and write all kinds of technical stuff, so this looked interesting.
It was a good read, I learned something.
beerchug.gif

Snowmobiles!?? REally?

What company? kind?

I have a new one soon I'll share in a week or two that I am really interested in

Only problem is that it is very......controversial.

It touches upon on subjects, morals, and personal opinions of the deepest kind. But that is the point of a research paper. To answer a controversial topic.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #67,340 of 177,744
Quote:
...More exposition please, perhaps with links?

And if you mean antivirus, I already have ESET, so I should be good.

Geez so demanding...
Anyways a rant on antivirus suites - 
 IMO they are just a overblown suite of firewall/configuration/active monitors/scanners/toolsets and cruft that obfuscates and cuts out the essential part of security - diligence. Secure your connection, encrypt your machine through the tried and true means. Common sense should not be put aside just because one has a one-fits-all-does-everything suite. Have proper permissions in place. Keep track of network activity (Snort, wireshark, nmap, etc). Keep essential files encrypted. KEEP YOUR CONNECTION SECURE (referrer control, always know what you're connecting to) The consumerist sense of "security" that the mainstream touts nowadays takes on a completely different paradigm from what people consider to be security out in the real world. Not to mention if common sense is used, there aren't as many threats out there that they'd like you to think. Honestly something simplistic like a proper firewall in place and some MS Essentials if a windows box is necessary is fine. If everyone is really out to get one's boring old personal desktop they really have nothing better to do then. 

Anyways....just use any old Linux Distro, slap it onto a LiveCD and boot it up. Backtrack http://www.backtrack-linux.org/, or just a snapshot of any system with ClamAV on is fine. I would personally use Backtrack as I could use it for other purposes as well. Or SUSEStudio, since modules.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #67,341 of 177,744
Quote:
Aye aye audio world~!

That is truly beautiful... 
rolleyes.gif

Hey, thanks. 
Just went for the second ride of the year today.  Was 27F out and we are supposed to get snow Sunday.  I ride year round as long as I get get to the street and there is'nt too much ice in the road.  Coldest ride I have had was -13F, should have taken the sled(snowmobile) instead.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #67,342 of 177,744
Quote:
Geez so demanding...
Anyways a rant on antivirus suites - 
 IMO they are just a overblown suite of firewall/configuration/active monitors/scanners/toolsets and cruft that obfuscates and cuts out the essential part of security - diligence. Secure your connection, encrypt your machine through the tried and true means. Common sense should not be put aside just because one has a one-fits-all-does-everything suite. Have proper permissions in place. Keep track of network activity (Snort, wireshark, nmap, etc). Keep essential files encrypted. KEEP YOUR CONNECTION SECURE (referrer control, always know what you're connecting to) The consumerist sense of "security" that the mainstream touts nowadays takes on a completely different paradigm from what people consider to be security out in the real world. Not to mention if common sense is used, there aren't as many threats out there that they'd like you to think. Honestly something simplistic like a proper firewall in place and some MS Essentials if a windows box is necessary is fine. If everyone is really out to get one's boring old personal desktop they really have nothing better to do then. 

Anyways....just use any old Linux Distro, slap it onto a LiveCD and boot it up. Backtrack http://www.backtrack-linux.org/, or just a snapshot of any system with ClamAV on is fine. I would personally use Backtrack as I could use it for other purposes as well. Or SUSEStudio, since modules.

here here...and dont click on links in emails or open files you are not expecting.  A little bit of paranoia is good when it comes to links and attachments...and especially pop ups, i hate that wehn that happens...I have had to fix too many co-workers machines due to i[size=10pt]nattentiveness [/size]when pop ups come up on their computer and they think is okay to click on them...

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #67,343 of 177,744
Quote:
here here...and dont click on links in emails or open files you are not expecting.  A little bit of paranoia is good when it comes to links and attachments...and especially pop ups, i hate that wehn that happens...I have had to fix too many co-workers machines due to i[size=10pt]nattentiveness [/size]when pop ups come up on their computer and they think is okay to click on them...

Do people still do that nowadays? I remember it being rampant in the early parts of this decade (can't say I'm not guilty of it) but by now it's really more of an urban myth than not, right? 
For that matter do people still send malware links nowadays?
But honestly people, that goes beyond common sense. Common sense is checking the URL validity and cookies and scripts and referrers. Anyone that clicks on an unknown link/attachment in this day and age should really rethink their place on the evolutionary ladder.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #67,348 of 177,744
Quote:
Good is hard to quantify. Preference in terms of sound (sound signature), comfort, isolation (if used portably), etc?

Also the question itself...this is head-fi of course we'd know a pair of good headphones :p

As an audiophile-in-training, I'm not exactly sure what I would prefer. What are some of the things that you prefer when looking for headphones?

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #67,350 of 177,744
Quote:
As an audiophile-in-training, I'm not exactly sure what I would prefer. What are some of the things that you prefer when looking for headphones?

Bass quantity/quality, midrange quantity/quality, etc. Just emphasis on the frequency range (or lack thereof) that I might happen to prefer. However you would want the sound to be presented. Technical performance like soundstaging (how large the uhm...stage size is), imaging/positioning (how accurately they position each aspect of the sound relative to the recording), transient speeds (how they keep up with note pacing), note presentation/decay (how long the notes last for), etc.

As an example, would personally would go for something linear, tight impact, fast, extreme clarity and transparent, smooth but acceptably emphasized treble.

Closed-back or open-backed is another issue. Would also be useful to point out how you'd use them (at home, on-the-go). 

Anyways, the CALs! Mice mentioned would be a fine starting block point (What's a block).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back