「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Mar 10, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #63,796 of 177,744
Quote:
Meh, might as well share.

I think at my university, we get ~50 Mb/s or some ridiculous number. I downloaded a 2.2 GB LabVIEW file in about 7 minutes or so.

I can download 12.2GB's/hour or 4GB's every 20 minutes or 2GB/s every 10 minutes 

At 50Mb/s, 6 minutes would be more like it if you were downloading top speed continuously

Good to know my network is similar.

I'm not elitist enough to care that I have to wait 4 more minutes than a college boy to download a big file when kids in Africa will take a whole year just to get it.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #63,797 of 177,744
Jealous of the +30mbps. In Australia 17mbps download, which is what I get, would be above average or so. But if you're a uni student you get as much as 1gb up 500mb down there.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #63,801 of 177,744
Quote:
3916Mb/s?

...We need a speed test of this stat.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the fibre optic backbone I was playing with so yeah. Since the NBN is being rolled out here in stages throughout Australia, a friend of mine who works for one of the contractors invited me to a show and tell demonstrate sort of thing installing some new hardware on a companies network as they needed more bandwidth for there servers and since his a Level 6 tech qualified with a boat load of qualifications he pulled some tricks and adjusted speeds showing what a fiber optic upgraded backbone can do from just a few settings with the multiplexors.

It was good fun and amazing as the session lasted. Do note the tests were run off a cat6 cable, you can see my laptop indication is still on wireless as it's like that because in no way can my wireless handle speeds that fast so yeah.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #63,803 of 177,744
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have access to the fibre optic backbone I was playing with so yeah. Since the NBN is being rolled out here in stages throughout Australia, a friend of mine who works for one of the contractors invited me to a show and tell demonstrate sort of thing installing some new hardware on a companies network as they needed more bandwidth for there servers and since his a Level 6 tech qualified with a boat load of qualifications he pulled some tricks and adjusted speeds showing what a fiber optic upgraded backbone can do from just a few settings. 

It was good fun and amazing as the session lasted. Do note the tests were run off a cat6 cable, you can see my laptop indication is still on wireless as it's like that because in no way can my wireless handle speeds that fast so yeah.

There is a new possible Wireless standard comming out soon. Forgot the name of it.

I feel that while new standards are comming out to support higher commericial speeds across the world, its funny because most people today can use wireless b just fine. Wireless b supports about 10Mb/s which most run on.

The difference is the implementation of wireless b and the actual standard itself and interference. Because using a 7Mb/s on wireless b and wireless n does give differences in ping and speeds gotten. 
Or at least thats what I obsereved in personal testing.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #63,805 of 177,744
Originally Posted by DefQon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The test is a little bit flawed, as I don't think your laptop's ethernet port can actually handle 4 gigabits. 
size]

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #63,806 of 177,744
I think it was demonstrated at CES this year but it's called WiGig (wireless gigabit). The new protocol is called 802.11 ad (that was pretty quick, considering that 802.11 ac is still in draft). It takes place in the 60GHz band. I think it can go up to 7 gigabits (not gigabytes, that's different). Go read the wikipedia page or the wigig alliance page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiGig

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #63,808 of 177,744
Ughh internet at UofT isn't even that fast (or reliable, for that matter, if you're connecting through wifi) unless you're using the Engineering computers. They're apparently using a completely separate network.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #63,809 of 177,744
Quote:

The test is a little bit flawed, as I don't think your laptop's ethernet port can actually handle 4 gigabits. 
size]

Indeed you're right but for NDA reasons of the company and the contractor I cannot specify the extra hardware that was used for the test that's why I said the connection made from the device to my laptop was using a cat6 cable. 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back