「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 26, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #22,037 of 177,745
Quote:

BTW am I the youngest here? I'm 17. OMG I JUST GAVE AWAY MY AGE!! meh.

For a Head-Fier you're pretty young, but in this thread there are a few people younger than you.

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #22,041 of 177,745
QUOTE:
Lol, that makes the two of us :p year 11?

wait.. what? year 11 out of how many??
I'm 1 year younger then you guys in year 12.....

out of 12 years. do you have kindagarten in hk? cause that would explain the one age difference maybe.... btw are you turning 17 next year? cause i turned 17 a month ago :)

hmmmm ipod chrome is rather shifty.....

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #22,042 of 177,745
QUOTE:
out of 12 years. do you have kindagarten in hk? cause that would explain the one age difference maybe.... btw are you turning 17 next year? cause i turned 17 a month ago

Yes, but that's not part of the year level system. In IB we have 13 years of primary and secondary education combined. I'll turn 17 in 4 months.

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #22,043 of 177,745
I turned 17 one month ago. I'm in year 11, highest grade is yr 12. Grade system goes K 1,2,3...12

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #22,044 of 177,745
Quote:
I turned 17 one month ago. I'm in year 11, highest grade is yr 12. Grade system goes K 1,2,3...12

LOL so we're basically around the same age.... 
There goes my "senpai" status.....
frown.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #22,045 of 177,745
It cost that much? I did a rough budget and I found it would cost about $2k accommodation + plane + travel for 2 weeks and with $1k of spending about 3k. How on earth did you spend $3k?!

It depends when you want to go, the plane tickets can be anywhere from $600 to $1200. I went during Christmas/new years so it was $1200, and a twin bed room at Shinjuku was about $200 a night, so $100p/p.

You can save quite a bit on the hotel if you choose to stay somewhere a little bit further from the action, the public transport is great in Japan. But it was nice being able to just step outside the hotel and bam, you're right in the action.

How did I spend that much...weeellll, lots of things happen when you go with 9 of your best buddies from high school. 
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #22,046 of 177,745
bikes are dangerous..the last time I was on one...... I went too fast.

My bike..what can I say.... I'm a fast asian! lol

I'll be sleeping after I finish this event! :)

Yeah, those are the bikes for lazy people.

Just wondering if I should use a road bike rather than my usual mountain bike for slightly longer distances though. Anyone with inputs on how well the performance/ease will compare?
Man, it was 1 USD = ~105yen, and 1 USD = 98 yen last two times I went :<
3500 yen being about 50 USD is painful to see ToT
Darn earthquake.
The places I went to were actually pretty good. My uncle is a gourmet (and used to be a chef) so the places he brings me are at least decent in terms of quality. Places I go are generally based on recommendations.
I've only been to one place that uses meal ticket, and that was at a ramen store (Ichiran). But no doubt when I try to save money, I eat bread or onigiri. Both are so good.

Mountain bikes are a PITA for longer distances. Get what we call in the Dutch a 'city bike'

Get one with 5-8 gears that can switch fast, and that can switch while you have stopped.
That means getting a bike with a hub gear, as opposed to the derailleur gears of a mountain bike. More comfortable, and less maintenance.

Also sitting upright on a bike like that is much more comfortable than sitting bending over on a mountain bike. You can go slightly faster on mountain bikes, but if you're encountering flat terrain only then the difference is not big at all. On long distances I usually go between 25 and 30 km/h on a bike like that.

Whaaaaaaat?! 300 euro a month?! I'd skip the birthday presents for that much money..

What's an allowance? Never heard of such wonderful things. :)

I make my own lunch (generally sandwich + lettuce + tuna/ham/whatever's in the fridge) unless I want to buy out of my pay. I never got an allowance. Ever. If I ever wanted to buy something I would have to beg my parents and the answer was generally NO! Luckily I celebrate Christmas + Bday + Chinese New Year so about $100-200 worth of presents per year. And it's not because I'm poor or anything (I don't think anyone on head-fi is financially disadvantaged unless they spent it all on audio :3). Just stingy asian parents.

I have a job now and I can afford any flagship can other than electrostats... and since I'm stingy because of my stingy upbringing I save pretty quickly for major purchases. I get 13aud/hr or about $280 a month /~3k a year working 1 day a week since my studies take up a lot of time. Anyway I'm saving up so I can go to Japan and spend a day living in Audiophile haven at Yodobashi Kamera @ Akiba

mm.. bread. I eat toasted bread in my sandwiches but if I have a bit of spare change I buy some nice fresh bread from the bakery. What kind of bread do you eat in the Netherlands?

300 a month? I said 100, dude.

We eat brown bread, or wholegrain bread mainly. We eat loafs that look like this:

We don't toast the bread. And usually we put on stuff like cheese, ham or peanut butter. Mature cheese being the most popular sandwich spread.

13/hr is not a bad paying job at all. The work I do pays me about €6 per hour -_-. But at least it's a comfortable job. I'm hoping I'll earn more money as a math tutor.

I'm 17 too, by the way. I'll turn 18 in one day, one week, and two months.
QUOTE:
out of 12 years. do you have kindagarten in hk? cause that would explain the one age difference maybe.... btw are you turning 17 next year? cause i turned 17 a month ago

Yes, but that's not part of the year level system. In IB we have 13 years of primary and secondary education combined. I'll turn 17 in 4 months.

No, that's just HK. All the American and European IB schools have 12 years. I thought it weird when you said you were in year 12 while in DP1.
Dutch system has 14 years, by the way.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #22,048 of 177,745
Quote:
Quote:

Wow, the exchange rate was at about 1 USD = 75 yen when I went.  
frown.gif

YAY! Even cheaper for us!! :)

You mean more expensive!
You can sell less yen for the same amount in USD now compared to before.
Quote:
Whaaaaaaat?! 300 euro a month?! I'd skip the birthday presents for that much money..

What's an allowance? Never heard of such wonderful things. :)

I make my own lunch (generally sandwich + lettuce + tuna/ham/whatever's in the fridge) unless I want to buy out of my pay. I never got an allowance. Ever. If I ever wanted to buy something I would have to beg my parents and the answer was generally NO! Luckily I celebrate Christmas + Bday + Chinese New Year so about $100-200 worth of presents per year. And it's not because I'm poor or anything (I don't think anyone on head-fi is financially disadvantaged unless they spent it all on audio :3). Just stingy asian parents.

I have a job now and I can afford any flagship can other than electrostats... and since I'm stingy because of my stingy upbringing I save pretty quickly for major purchases. I get 13aud/hr or about $280 a month /~3k a year working 1 day a week since my studies take up a lot of time. Anyway I'm saving up so I can go to Japan and spend a day living in Audiophile haven at Yodobashi Kamera @ Akiba

mm.. bread. I eat toasted bread in my sandwiches but if I have a bit of spare change I buy some nice fresh bread from the bakery. What kind of bread do you eat in the Netherlands?

Eh... my sister went to Japan and spent 3k for 2 weeks. She only visited Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto.

It cost that much? I did a rough budget and I found it would cost about $2k accommodation + plane + travel for 2 weeks and with $1k of spending about 3k. How on earth did you spend $3k?!

Your wage is much better than mine actually... and my allowance stopped many many years ago Dx
And yeah, 3K to visit Japan? Did she buy a lot of things? and... read on........
Quote:

It depends when you want to go, the plane tickets can be anywhere from $600 to $1200. I went during Christmas/new years so it was $1200, and a twin bed room at Shinjuku was about $200 a night, so $100p/p.

You can save quite a bit on the hotel if you choose to stay somewhere a little bit further from the action, the public transport is great in Japan. But it was nice being able to just step outside the hotel and bam, you're right in the action.

How did I spend that much...weeellll, lots of things happen when you go with 9 of your best buddies from high school. 
tongue.gif

........here.
You guys live in Australia, where traveling fees to/from Japan have been pretty known to be inexpensive. Nowadays tickets I can buy from here are generally upbound from $1200, and that's not even high season. That's only, say, $300 difference though, which is little in comparison to 3k or 6k.
I think I spent about 1.4k or so on shopping alone when I was there last time... maybe more. Must have spent a lot on traveling expenses, but my aunt spoiled me by giving me a auto-refill (bank account linked) SUICA.
Prices in Japan are better than in Quebec anyway. Costs $3.75 for public transport here now.

And I get the feeling I'm the oldest in the thread, if 0o0o0o is 21.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #22,049 of 177,745
Hub gear... first time I hear it, and I'm liking what I see.
My mountain bike's gears don't have the protective ring around it so my show laces or pants have suffered casualties in the past... so annoying.

I have a few bikes at home (got then cheap in the past, when we moved in). Not sure I will be buying a new one any time but there should be some reeeaaal musty road bikes.
Sitting upright is more comfortable no doubt, my mountain bike position is kind of halfway. Road bike will be even flatter I think. hmm... Will clean them up and try today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back