「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 24, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #21,664 of 177,745
Quote:
Anyway, I hope to remotivate myself by getting a proper text book instead of using internet tutorials and vocabulary training phone apps. They are useful, but you need a text book with exercises if you wish to get a grip on the grammar.

Not really. Genki is useful, but there are cases of people only using the Internet and succeeding. For instance, if you want grammar...

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar

Personally, I feel that is more comprehensive and useful than any textbooks I've seen when it comes to building a solid grammar foundation. In fact if you go through all that, learn 2000 words, you will be able read most elementary Japanese media such as manga, light novel and eroge without much problem.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #21,665 of 177,745
Quote:

Not really. Genki is useful, but there are cases of people only using the Internet and succeeding. For instance, if you want grammar...

Personally, I feel that is more comprehensive and useful than any textbooks I've seen when it comes to building a solid grammar foundation. In fact if you go through all that, learn 2000 words, you will be able read most elementary Japanese media such as manga, light novel and eroge without much problem.

What's "genki"? (like besides the literal meaning.)

Well 2k characters is actually quite a lot... I've learned chinese for my entire life and I know less characters then that.....

Right now I can read katakana at the speed of around few seconds per character.......

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #21,666 of 177,745

And kanji. That's not an easy one.
I think my vocab is at around 500 at the moment, but kanji is something I need to keep practicing. I learned around 200 a couple months ago, but due to lack of practice I forgot most of them. It's feels so harsh.

I think I may pick up a book just for the Kanji, and do grammar on the internet.

Triple HS

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #21,667 of 177,745
Quote:

Well 2k characters is actually quite a lot... I've learned chinese for my entire life and I know less characters then that.....

Right now I can read katakana at the speed of around few seconds per character.......

Genki is a Japanese textbook that is used universally across the World in tertiary institutions. Personally I don't like the textbook at all, and I don't think it lays a good foundation like the site I posted.

Well, if you don't want to learn the words, then you can always just have a dictionary on you. The grammar foundation is most important. 2000 is a decent number. English is my second language and I learnt 5 words every day until I reached the 4000 mark. Then I stopped learning and here I am.

As for reading speed...the best way to practise that is switch your computer's OS, Facebook, Google, Wikipedia all to Japanese even if you don't understand it, but just practise reading out the characters. In a few months you'll be fluent.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #21,668 of 177,745

I know that feel. I can read hiragana fluently (read it aloud without pause), but katakana is slower.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #21,669 of 177,745
Quote:
And kanji. That's not an easy one.
I think my vocab is at around 500 at the moment, but kanji is something I need to keep practicing. I learned around 200 a couple months ago, but due to lack of practice I forgot most of them. It's feels so harsh.
I think I may pick up a book just for the Kanji, and do grammar on the internet.

I'm Chinese. I never had to learn Kanji. I already knew more than what I'll ever need from Chinese. Katakana words I already knew from English. That's why for Japanese all I needed to learn was grammar and remember a few hundred more words in Hiragana...most of which I already know from watching so many anime.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #21,671 of 177,745
Quote:
Genki is a Japanese textbook that is used universally across the World in tertiary institutions. Personally I don't like the textbook at all, and I don't think it lays a good foundation like the site I posted.

Yeah, that's the text book they used at my school. Good link. Bookmarking that for sure.

Quote:
I know that feel. I can read hiragana fluently (read it aloud without pause), but katakana is slower.

Me too.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #21,672 of 177,745
I'm Chinese. I never had to learn Kanji. I already knew more than what I'll ever need from Chinese. Katakana words I already knew from English. That's why for Japanese all I needed to learn was grammar and remember a few hundred more words in Hiragana...most of which I already know from watching so many anime.

Anime is like a god-given treasure when it comes to learning Japanese. It's amazing how quickly you can learn words when you try to look at the subs as little as possible.
With SoL's like k-on I can get by with looking at the subs only a couple lines per episode.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #21,673 of 177,745
Quote:

Well, if you don't want to learn the words, then you can always just have a dictionary on you. The grammar foundation is most important. 2000 is a decent number. English is my second language and I learnt 5 words every day until I reached the 4000 mark. Then I stopped learning and here I am.

As for reading speed...the best way to practise that is switch your computer's OS, Facebook, Google, Wikipedia all to Japanese even if you don't understand it, but just practise reading out the characters. In a few months you'll be fluent.

I see~

LOL How is it possible you can learn 5 words a day??

I have my iPod in japanese...

Quote:

I can't read Hiragana......

Quote:

I'm chinese too, and I've lived in HK for my entire life..... I can't read chinese..... 
frown.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #21,674 of 177,745
I see~

LOL How is it possible you can learn 5 words a day??

5 a day is easy. That's 5-10 minutes of learning new words are revising old ones.
In 30 minutes you can learn and revise 30 words in my experience. But the important thing is that you do it every single day. But this requires discipline, which is a resource that is hard to acquire these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back