「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #21,451 of 177,745
Quote:
I was going to buy a Crucial until I did some real digging. Plextor is recommended amongst the real members that are not effected by the bravado or  whatever of bias and brand lovers. Sean dude at OCN also recommended them and for the price of $80 for the 128GB's.... IT was a steal.

For the 60GB drives....Intel is fine :) As the difference is litterally $10.... 

I would personally go for at 128GB's though

I don't plan on putting much on the SSD and nothing that is data intensive for sure. I want it to last. Link to those Plextor reviews and such?

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #21,452 of 177,745
Quote:

uTorrent RSS!?? ....!??

Oh, and this has been asked, but now, how are you liking your HD800's with anime and jpop ?

Yup. uTorrent is actually quite smart. Try out the Smart Feed feature - it will automatically find new episodes when they're subbed and download them without you knowing.

I do like my HD800. It's rather unforgiving on bad sources (something a lot of J-Pop is known for) but the soundstage makes it worth it. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #21,453 of 177,745
That makes more sense. Of course, 150GB is by no means small to someone like me who only has 128GB on my MBA.

Installing Linux will certainly make the computer run faster in your case, but if you are willing to revert back to Snow Leopard, it'll also be significantly more snappy (after a clean reinstall, of course).

I am willing to revert back, but that too ain't possible without a DVD, I fear.

Also: VMWare is not working, and the patch to fix it ain't either, and the fixes to fix the patch also don't work.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #21,454 of 177,745
Quote:
Quote:

In terms of reliability LSI Sandforce controllers are apparently quite bad in comparison to Marvell and Samsung. Intel 320s are one of the more reliable SSDs on the market after all it's been around for a long time... It also uses a marvell controller and is rather cheap though performance may not be up to scratch but meh....

Intel is apparently second on the list after Crucial in terms of lowest return rates according to http://www.behardware.com/articles/862-7/components-returns-rates-6.html

I heard about sandforce woes. It was quite funny and quite bad that they could mess up that badly when hundreds are at stake.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #21,455 of 177,745
Quote:

Yup. uTorrent is actually quite smart. Try out the Smart Feed feature - it will automatically find new episodes when they're subbed and download them without you knowing.

I do like my HD800. It's rather unforgiving on bad sources (something a lot of J-Pop is known for) but the soundstage makes it worth it. 

Call me old fashion, I like things my way :) I like to choose sub groups, different times of the day and etc etc.

I'll look into a HD800 or LCD 2 revision 2 for a top upgrade :)

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #21,456 of 177,745
Quote:
Call me old fashion, I like things my way :) I like to choose sub groups, different times of the day and etc etc.

I'll look into a HD800 or LCD 2 revision 2 for a top upgrade :)

ShanaProject lets you do that. It's much more personalized than AnimeTake. Just try it. You can customize which sub group to follow, the quality of releases, you name it. http://www.shanaproject.com/season/list/?sort=date

Get the LCD2. It's more suitable for anime and J-Pop.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #21,457 of 177,745
Quote:

ShanaProject lets you do that. It's much more personalized than AnimeTake. Just try it. You can customize which sub group to follow, the quality of releases, you name it. http://www.shanaproject.com/season/list/?sort=date

Thats what I thought, but the HD800 for analyicality in terms of true audiophileness is also very good, LCD is more for music listening and musical nirvana I guess :)

Time to save up! :)

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #21,458 of 177,745

I tried ShanaProject for a while, but in the end I prefer looking on AnimeTake daily. It just feels nicer.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #21,460 of 177,745
Quote:
I heard about sandforce woes. It was quite funny and quite bad that they could mess up that badly when hundreds are at stake.

It's still only a small percentage though so iunno.... I have an Intel 330 120gb which uses a sandforce ssd and it's fine atm so meh I guess... Also they do have a good compression algorithm that does reduce write amplification, along with a controller that was the fastest when it comes to compressible data and offered the most IOPS until only recently.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #21,461 of 177,745
Morning all,

Ohey, welcome back Imperial, haven't seen you around in a while.

I was starting to feel lonely being the only one here with high end gear. (just kidding) 
tongue.gif

I haven't heard the HD800 so I can't comment, but the LCD-2 is okay for anime and J-pop. Vocals are a bit too distant/muffled for my liking.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #21,462 of 177,745
Quote:

It's still only a small percentage though so iunno.... I have an Intel 330 120gb which uses a sandforce ssd and it's fine atm so meh I guess... Also they do have a good compression algorithm that does reduce write amplification, along with a controller that was the fastest when it comes to compressible data and offered the most IOPS until only recently.

Yep, the people that have problems make it loud and clear and on feedback sections on newegg and on OCN so it's quite saddening to hear so many :/

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #21,463 of 177,745
Quote:
Morning all,

I was starting to feel lonely being the only one here with high end gear. (just kidding) 
tongue.gif

I haven't heard the HD800 so I can't comment, but the LCD-2 is okay for anime and J-pop. Vocals are a bit too distant/muffled for my liking.

Keep that smug STAX of yours...........

I'll do some demo'ing :)

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #21,464 of 177,745
Quote:
YEah, same..... I never tried it but I prefer anime take....... :/

Then try it. You might prefer it more.

Quote:
Morning all,

tongue.gif

Good to see you again. :)

I recommended the LCD2 because most people would appreciate it more in my opinion, but I have indeed heard the LCD2 before going with the HD800 for the same reason as you. The HD800 is infinitely more clear than the LCD2 and the soundstage isn't comparable. It's less forgiving, but when the track was recorded well, the HD800 is just breathtaking.

Most Asian music cut cost when it comes to the recording part...unfortunately. And the LCD2 shows these faults a lot less clearly. Of course, the STAX is closer to the HD800 than the LCD2, so you might have an idea of what I mean.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #21,465 of 177,745
Quote:

Then try it. You might prefer it more.

Good to see you again. :)

I recommended the LCD2 because most people would appreciate it more in my opinion, but I have indeed heard the LCD2 before going with the HD800 for the same reason as you. The HD800 is infinitely more clear than the LCD2 and the soundstage isn't comparable. It's less forgiving, but when the track was recorded well, the HD800 is just breathtaking.

Most Asian music cut cost when it comes to the recording part...unfortunately. And the LCD2 shows these faults a lot less clearly.

I don't like that kind of stuff though 
redface.gif
 how shana does things

I hope to get some demo like you :)

Have you been listening to jpop recently? I have some demo tracks if you want :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back