「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Aug 15, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #176,161 of 177,744
Recently binged some random Gundam episodes from a bunch of series. None were really made for the audience group I'm in, but fun none the less.

Watched Nvidia's stream for SIGGRAPH 2018 on their Facebook page. HOLY SCHIIT.

LIKE HOLY SCHIIT.

#10gigarays

:p

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #176,163 of 177,744

Been playing a little Monster Hunter on PC, the port is pretty baaaad (doesn't run well, looks like poop). The most frustrating thing is the constant server issues which make it nearly impossible to play with your friends.

Got a 4GB RX570 for around 230 dollarydoos, that's basically MSRP woohoooooo. Upgrading from a 6950 in the garage PC so that's like a 2.5X increase in performance I thinks.

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #176,165 of 177,744

Been playing a little Monster Hunter on PC, the port is pretty baaaad (doesn't run well, looks like poop). The most frustrating thing is the constant server issues which make it nearly impossible to play with your friends.

That sucks. :/

I usually don't expect servers to run perfectly around launch time, but the overall experience shouldn't be too bad or else there's no point buying the game to play it at launch (for me). That's what beta testings are for.

Got a 4GB RX570 for around 230 dollarydoos, that's basically MSRP woohoooooo. Upgrading from a 6950 in the garage PC so that's like a 2.5X increase in performance I thinks.

Nice! GPU prices have dropped to around MSRP as of late. Who knows if prices will escalate for whatever reason, including trade war stuff, but that's getting too far into politics.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #176,166 of 177,744
Wow, this thread is really dead!

I had a dream last night about the thread and figured I should stop by and say hi~

Steins;Gate 0 has been fun but I haven't been watching any of the usual moetrash this season.
I'm pumped about the next episode of Hataraku Saibou. The last ep ended on a cliffhanger!

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #176,167 of 177,744
Aug 21, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #176,168 of 177,744
This is my favourite part of DIY, I always get funny looks from family.

IMG_3216.jpg

Aug 21, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #176,171 of 177,744
Does that rice attract a random Asian that tries to fix your thing over night? :p
I always thought it was a part time deal with the tooth fairy. but it could also be gremlins, using the water in the Iphone to multiply. in any case if Asians are involve, I'm pretty sure they're ninjas because we can't seem to catch one in the act. now that I think about it, it's the same for the tooth fairy. is the tooth fairy a ninja?

Aug 21, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #176,172 of 177,744
I always thought it was a part time deal with the tooth fairy. but it could also be gremlins, using the water in the Iphone to multiply. in any case if Asians are involve, I'm pretty sure they're ninjas because we can't seem to catch one in the act. now that I think about it, it's the same for the tooth fairy. is the tooth fairy a ninja?

Who knows...

Speaking of which, a while ago, I was eating with friends and there was a guy wearing a shirt with a martial arts school's logo. A friend looked it up and apparently it was a local ninjutsu school.

Bumped into a real life ninja-trainee! :0

---------------

Ugh...my wallet is not ready for Nvidia RTX but it will be someday...

Probably the most impressive stuff I've seen Nvidia do in such a long time, and they do plenty of impressive stuff.

Wonder what AMD's going to respond with...in a year? In five to ten years? Nvidia will dominate the pro viz industry like never before if AMD has nothing to compete, and AMD already isn't doing very good in that section...

Aug 21, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #176,173 of 177,744
Er I don't think you quite understand the state of the GPU market. NVIDIA already won like 5 years ago. They've basically conned the entire industry. Why do you think it costs $3k+ for a full G_100 chip when it used to cost $500-$600 (current GTX/RTX##80 cards which are equipped with G_104 chips which are cut down versions). Quite sure CUDA has also dominated most professional industries. I hear more Quadro CUDA render farms than FirePro render farms.

AMD has a raytracing platform. It was announced at the same time as NVIDIA RTX.

NVIDIA will bring ray tracing to the mainstream cards once they've forced enough game developers to use some proprietary functions built into Gameworks for RTX which can't be easily emulated via the DirectX Raytracing interface. My best guess is the AI ray-tracing denoising technology they demo'd which allows for much much faster ray tracing image generation and will probably be something proprietary to Gameworks and their other proprietary technologies.

AMD's only alive right now because their semicustom strategy was extremely smart. Basically a made-to-order desktop-class SoC which the console developers want. As long as their GPUs are relatively decent they'll most likely retain the share and hold some control over game developers instead of losing them all to NVIDIA. Going to be a lot harder for the timebeing since the CPU part of those APUs/semicustoms just got an enormous performance boost with Zen cores now as an option and Navi supposedly being developed in conjunction with Sony for the PS5. Intel will probably come in and try to wipe the floor again with their GPU, although their CPU business is not in a very pretty state right now. They need Jim Keller to perform some magic and their chip fab guys to get 10nm++ out of the door faster than the current timeline of the end of 2019.

Either way, the new NVIDIA card demonstration is just sad. It's just cementing in how bad the graphics market is and how much worse it's going to get. If the RTX made the GTX card feel outdated, these current RTX cards will feel even more outdated once the next gen of cards arrive. Whatever RTX functionalities these cards have, it's probably highly gimped.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back