「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Apr 5, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #172,937 of 177,744
  I don't think they can control what either does. Valve at least has tried. NVIDIA basically does not care (*cue Linus Torvalds "**** you NVIDIA").

Well at least they got the GNOME back (sorry not sorry Unity). I don't know about SteamOS, but looking forward for 18.04 LTS. At the moment, I can play 'Nuclear Throne', and that got me going.. (Also 'Don't Starve', 'Limbo', and 'Not a Hero')

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #172,938 of 177,744
Well at least they got the GNOME back (sorry not sorry Unity). I don't know about SteamOS, but looking forward for 18.04 LTS. At the moment, I can play 'Nuclear Throne', and that got me going.. (Also 'Don't Starve', 'Limbo', and 'Not a Hero')

That's on the devs though, not Valve. Valve provided platform support. Unless they can provide a great incentive there's no incentive to develop games for Linux. The user base is way too small.

There's probably more incentive to contribute to WINE than actually natively make some apps for Linux.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #172,939 of 177,744
WINE is drunk often times, I agree it needs more fix and improving.
-
2NE1 were cool, but IDK why many dislike them.

This song is one of my fav in K-pop, it's about as complete as it can get:

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #172,940 of 177,744
  https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/ubuntu-unity-is-dead-desktop-will-switch-back-to-gnome-next-year/

Good.

Meh, I kinda stopped caring about Ubuntu long ago.... It's a developer's nightmare
frown.gif

apt is slow, packages are outdated, I just try to avoid it as much as I could.

meanwhile...... archlinux on Windows. I'm tempted to dual-boot my machine with that and NixOS.

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #172,941 of 177,744
I think my questions would be answered much more seriously here so, what are some albums and/or songs that are well-mastered in J-pop or Japanese music in general? 

Also, why is the suggested song(s)/album(s) well-mastered? Similarly, what determines a well-mastered track? I've read around but I never really understood. I'll probably ask the last question on the Help and Getting Started forums here.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #172,942 of 177,744
  Man, and it's really sad too because I got some Yamazaki NAS in a 180ml bottle and it's really good so I want a full bottle of it, but yeah even that one is $130-ish here. :/ But on the plus side, Hibiki 12 is under $100 actually! Still can't afford it though. 

Usually just me drinking as well, but sometimes I'll buy 1.5-1.75L since it's a lot cheaper and that could take me forever to go through so I'll go open more bottles! XD How long does whiskey last after you open it though? I never knew there was a shelf life per se. 

And Crown Royal probably isn't even that great compared to all the top shelf stuff you're talking about, but for what I paid for it (about 20 Freedom Bucks when I was in Canuckistan at the duty free store for 1L), it's pretty good. 

I have a bottle of regular Taketsuru because this is what places around here are charging for it when it only cost me like, 2500-3000 yen in Japan? 
(this is without the 20% liquor tax + litre tax

T_T

Boom. $250 + 20% tax for you Micey :3 
http://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/single-malt/hibiki-21-yr/p/145162750?s=1407

The NAS is labled as Distiller's Reserve iinm, and while it's a very competent single malt, I'd still choose the 12 any day over it considering the price.

There's not a shelf life since it doesn't go bad, but rather, once you open it, the more oxygen there is in the bottle, the faster it deteriorates. Around half bottle and lower, you usually lose alot of the nose and flavor of the whisky itself. Can't give you the exact times but if you have about a third of a bottle left, it should be finished in about 3-4 months.

I'm trying to consider if buying it directly from Tenso is a viable option for me. The Yamazaki 12 and NAS are still affordable enough to have it shipped over, unlike the 18, which is now close to $500 a bottle.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #172,943 of 177,744
  Similarly, what determines a well-mastered track? 

Not brickwalled, but 99% of the J-Pop out there has DR6 or lower.
No, I don't know the elusive 1%.
Only kinds of music from Japan I listen to is Jazz, some some Electro and Vaporwave, and those usually have proper high DR.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #172,944 of 177,744
There's not a shelf life since it doesn't go bad, but rather, once you open it, the more oxygen there is in the bottle, the faster it deteriorates. Around half bottle and lower, you usually lose alot of the nose and flavor of the whisky itself. Can't give you the exact times but if you have about a third of a bottle left, it should be finished in about 3-4 months.

I'm trying to consider if buying it directly from Tenso is a viable option for me. The Yamazaki 12 and NAS are still affordable enough to have it shipped over, unlike the 18, which is now close to $500 a bottle.

Careful with importing, tax might hit you really hard....and I always worry about a bottle breaking during international shipping.

I wouldn't worry about a whisky deteriorating once opened, many whiskies tend to get a little better after opening and the slight change in character is just part of the experience IMO.

As always, everyone's tastes and palates are different, I'm not afraid of adding dollops of water and letting a whisky sit for 20 minutes because what I'm really after is the mouth feel, development and finish of a whiskey, rather than the arrival which I find rather boring and synthetic.

Then again, i am a bit nutso about whisky.

Also, why is the suggested song(s)/album(s) well-mastered? Similarly, what determines a well-mastered track? I've read around but I never really understood. I'll probably ask the last question on the Help and Getting Started forums here.

Hmmm number one for me would be dynamic range, it's very annoying to listen to something that sounds like a wall of sound.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #172,945 of 177,744
  Not brickwalled, but 99% of the J-Pop out there has DR6 or lower.
No, I don't know the elusive 1%.
Only kinds of music from Japan I listen to is Jazz, some some Electro and Vaporwave, and those usually have proper high DR.

I'm not too knowledgeable on this, so a dynamic range range of 6 or lower (assuming that's what you mean by DR6) is not ideal? I'm assuming that a higher number means more dynamic range. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Can you list an example or two of songs/albums you found to be well-mastered?

Hmmm number one for me would be dynamic range, it's very annoying to listen to something that sounds like a wall of sound.

From what I understand, with more dynamic range, there's more of a difference between the loudest and quietest sounds. This allows music to not sound like a wall of sound, correct?

Can you list an example or two of songs/albums you found to be well-mastered?

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #172,948 of 177,744

Careful with importing, tax might hit you really hard....and I always worry about a bottle breaking during international shipping.

I wouldn't worry about a whisky deteriorating once opened, many whiskies tend to get a little better after opening and the slight change in character is just part of the experience IMO.

As always, everyone's tastes and palates are different, I'm not afraid of adding dollops of water and letting a whisky sit for 20 minutes because what I'm really after is the mouth feel, development and finish of a whiskey, rather than the arrival which I find rather boring and synthetic.

Then again, i am a bit nutso about whisky.

That's the one worry I have, the taxes are what's stopping me atm. As for packaging, Tenso usually has good quality packing materials so that's not too much of a worry.

I sometimes leave a glass out for a bit too since some actually become quite different after they're allowed to breathe. But leaving some in a bottle for several months is a little too much imo, and sometimes you're left with some pretty lacklustre stuff once you're at the bottom of of a bottle. I hate that.

+1000 for Nier's OST, quality stuff

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #172,949 of 177,744

I sometimes leave a glass out for a bit too since some actually become quite different after they're allowed to breathe. But leaving some in a bottle for several months is a little too much imo, and sometimes you're left with some pretty lacklustre stuff once you're at the bottom of of a bottle. I hate that.

Those little glass vials can be handy for storing a little whisky for the future, or just do what I do and dump it all into a "whisky history" bottle. 
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #172,950 of 177,744

Those little glass vials can be handy for storing a little whisky for the future, or just do what I do and dump it all into a "whisky history" bottle. 
tongue.gif

That's not a bad idea actually, should get a few vials just in case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back