「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jan 23, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #172,006 of 177,745
might be my first post in here, so let me be clear from the start, animes, mangas/manhwa/manhua/etc are fumo fumo fumoffu! and you'll never get me to think otherwise.

Quote:

When a fan of my notebook was on full speed all the time I had to open the notebook and in a small flat box where a fan is situated all openings through which hot air had to go out were clogged with dust. Also between a processor and a cooling tube I cleaned out old thermal paste and applied a new one. There are videos how to do it on YouTube. After that the fan is much quieter and the notebook doesn't get hot as it used to.

Already tried to clean the fan up and unfortunately, it didn't help. Don't feel like taking the whole thing apart anymore, especially as mine's not the easiest for maintenance, so I somehow procrastinated on applying new thermal paste until now. Still don't feel like it as it might damage the laptop.

I plan to try and resurrect it after getting a new laptop, so in case some accidents do happen, I won't have any down time.

tell me about it, I hate fan service "ba dum tss". on my old ROG laptop I need to remove like 40 screws, remove the keyboard, the back and even the screen before I can access the 2 fans.

just in case, the fan going wild for no reason for hours has been one of the funny jokes from windozz for a great many people who refused to accept all the crap updates of the getwin10 crap fest last year. a svhost using too much CPU compared to other stuff and launched by wuauserv(win update), or even the update search lasting for hours turning the computer into a oven without actually going anywhere. those are but a few of the best pranks windows played on people. the solution is usually to go get a few updates manually. had that but only on one computer for some reasons.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #172,007 of 177,745

Quote:
  tell me about it, I hate fan service "ba dum tss". on my old ROG laptop I need to remove like 40 screws, remove the keyboard, the back and even the screen before I can access the 2 fans.

speaking of screws.... this is how one would replace the keyboard on a Dell XPS 13....

total screw count is over 50
eek.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #172,009 of 177,745

just in case, the fan going wild for no reason for hours has been one of the funny jokes from windozz for a great many people who refused to accept all the crap updates of the getwin10 crap fest last year. a svhost using too much CPU compared to other stuff and launched by wuauserv(win update), or even the update search lasting for hours turning the computer into a oven without actually going anywhere. those are but a few of the best pranks windows played on people. the solution is usually to go get a few updates manually. had that but only on one computer for some reasons.

Tried to replace the keyboard that's broken and ended up breaking more stuff. XD

A lot of the things used to snap parts in place on my laptop are very cheap as mine was just a budget model from years ago. Had to open the bottom, then the top, then the bottom, then the top again to get the keyboard off and start to do a full cleansing. Didn't feel like going any further though as I fear I might break something (well, technically I already did, but that's the already malfunctioning keyboard, so no big deal :D ).

I agree with the Windows 10 stuff. My desktop is running that and omg on idle fans crank up and I see 40% usage with nothing open. Fun fact, I just updated my desktop with Windows updates for the first time in a year. XD

Managed to keep that disabled as soon as I installed the OS. I bet I can't do that anymore as I'm sure Microsoft addressed this "loophole" by now.

Blessed with the presence of 3 mods? :O

Currawong, Axel, move over. You have a new roommate.

We need to start behaving ourselves! :0 He may be a spy in disguise!!!

castleofargh, are you a spy in disguise? ._.

speaking of screws.... this is how one would replace the keyboard on a Dell XPS 13....

total screw count is over 50 :eek:

Well, still better than my keyboard, which is held in via a small screw and many small small snapping plastic pins, probably over 50 in total, and half of them broke off the first time I removed the keyboard (very carefully too, if I may add!). Dell, I love ya, but HP really stepped up the game on this one with my old laptop. :p

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #172,010 of 177,745

eek.gif

Yep that's the problem with unibody designs...but at least the cpu fan/heatsink is very accessible. We have a MSI 17 incher and to access the RAM you have to take the whole motherboard out....sigh.

It's only 2-3 screws to replace a keyboard on an old thinkpad....but getting to the heatsink takes some work.

I swear to god the anti malware service runs and runs...until I open task manager to take a peek and then it stops.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #172,011 of 177,745

Yep that's the problem with unibody designs...but at least the cpu fan/heatsink is very accessible. We have a MSI 17 incher and to access the RAM you have to take the whole motherboard out....sigh.

It's only 2-3 screws to replace a keyboard on an old thinkpad....but getting to the heatsink takes some work.

They're okay in some unibody designs because removing the motherboard doesn't require too too many screws. Although the MacBook Pro ones looks like it's under this antistatic/insulator layer that's annoying to peel off so...not sure how other companies do it but I assume it's something similar to prevent the keyboard deck from getting blazing hot.

But yeah usually RAM, SSD, battery, and fan/heatsink are super accessible just because 1 panel to it all.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #172,012 of 177,745

I swear to god the anti malware service runs and runs...until I open task manager to take a peek and then it stops.

I swear too...

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #172,013 of 177,745
  might be my first post in here, so let me be clear from the start, animes, mangas/manhwa/manhua/etc are fumo fumo fumoffu! and you'll never get me to think otherwise.

A fellow FMP! lover, welcome!

latest

Or maybe you're one of those shifty AmaBuri people...

70aad0065dad7cb1c14eae8536bba074.jpg

Awww, my title doesn't say Moderator. sadface.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #172,014 of 177,745

A fellow FMP! lover, welcome!

latest

Or maybe you're one of those shifty AmaBuri people...

70aad0065dad7cb1c14eae8536bba074.jpg

Awww, my title doesn't say Moderator. sadface.gif

Bonta kun forever.
but it's hard to love him and pretend not to like Moffuru, after all they have the same hat. (observation skill over 9000!!!)

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #172,016 of 177,745

eek.gif

The fan in my HP laptop (from... 2005?) died so I took it apart to see if I could do anything to fix it. When I put it back together I only had 5 extra screws in my hand! I thought that was pretty good considering I removed like 300. I couldn't save the fan unfortunately :frowning2:

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #172,017 of 177,745

The fan in my HP laptop (from... 2005?) died so I took it apart to see if I could do anything to fix it. When I put it back together I only had 5 extra screws in my hand! I thought that was pretty good considering I removed like 300. I couldn't save the fan unfortunately :frowning2:

I tried doing similar things before and rolled small screws into the fan and nearly broke everything >: D
Vacuumed it at last....

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #172,018 of 177,745
  https://www.gog.com/news/release_swat_4_gold_edition

Sweeeeet!
I have way too many PS4 games to buy, but I think I can squeeze this one in.

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #172,020 of 177,745
I think I'll be selling the EVGA 1070 Black edition I purchased. What you guys think is a fair price? I updated the BIOS but haven't installed the thermal pad kit EVGA sent me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back