「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jan 19, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #171,886 of 177,744

Think Edison and Tesla......

when ever I see these names together, I think AC/DC.

and thanks to O;9 my brain now correlates tesla to cancerous mammary glands.....

Oh gosh, that makes me want to watch Occult;9 now... 

@EDC: What do you guys think of the Leatherman Skeletool? That's what I was carrying before I went to Hong Kong, hopefully I'll be able to retrieve it soon and then I can share my full EDC. :D

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #171,887 of 177,744
bowei006, have you ever noticed any throttling with the XPS 15 that you have?

Judging by reviews, the laptops cooling become saturated under stress tests, and people have mentioned experiencing similar issues when gaming sometimes.

Have you experience any of these issues, and if so, did driver optimizations fix it over time, or anything?

Just curious if in every day use (and gaming), these have regular heat issues (and noise from constantly running fans), or if it's a rare case/it was fixed over time but nobody reported back on Reddit.

--------

There is an i5 model of the 9550 available. It has the 960m and costs 1000 CAD.

The 9560 equivilant with the 1050 costs 1350 CAD.

I don't think there's any special holidays good for buying tech in Q1 aside from new year's store, which is just the to sell old stuff, so I doubt I'll get the 1050 version for 1000CAD anytime soon... What to get... What to get...

QAQ

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #171,888 of 177,744
Oh gosh, that makes me want to watch Occult;9 now... 
[rule]@EDC: What do you guys think of the Leatherman Skeletool? That's what I was carrying before I went to Hong Kong, hopefully I'll be able to retrieve it soon and then I can share my full EDC. :D

It is alright if all you need is a knife, pliers and bits. Lacks a little imo (file :frowning2:), and could be split up into the seperate tools. If it had a file, it would be a lot better.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #171,890 of 177,744
  Kuzu no Honkai: What the heck. This is such a huge love web.

Directed, fully-connected graph.
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #171,892 of 177,744
So if I decide to go through with building a PC this year, where would be a good place to start for someone with no building experience?
e.g. why would I buy X case over Y case, A fan over B fan, etc.

PC Part Picker is a good place to start as they have a part list organiser. It shows you all the basic components needed for a computer.

Moving from there, you can look up what each part does and try to get a feel for what you are looking to get for your needs.

I'm a bit busy at the moment so I can't type anything too much, but I can help run you through the stuff when I have time tomorrow morning. If you have a Google hangouts account I might be able to chat with you live if you really have a hard time with something.

Since we are at PC Part Picker, I recommend you take a look at as many of their video guides as possible (make sure it's the official video guides. Many of the build guides are by the community who build them for fun. They are nice, not not necessarily beginner friendly and sometimes not even practical). Some guides from other sources are a bit coloured (*cough* Tek Syndicate's old PCMR elitist guides) or are not as clean. For people who are more experienced, it may not be an issue, but if it is your first time, it may be confusing. The reason I recommend PC Part Picker is because their videos are great and simple, with no jokes or sarcasm that are not always obvious to people who are unfamiliar with the terms. Anyways, watch the videos on PCPP so you can at least start familiarising yourself with the terms that people use and start researching from there. Understanding the demographics of every component is quite overwhelming at first. That's normal so take your time. ^_^

After you start to be able to piece things together in your head, you can start looking at reviews of individual components (know how every company's nomenclature works, understanding features, get a basic idea of the pricing/performance hierarchy, know what's pure marketing bs and what's actual useful features that is worth considering, etc.). Hopefully by then you can start to work on a basic idea of a practical PC that suits your needs.

People can start to help you and improve on your parts list as communications is smoother.

Fill-in-the-box style list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Random video I grabbed from PCPP YouTube channel. Quickly scribbled through it. Nothing I see wrong on first glance.

If someone has a better suggestion, please share it as I actually only briefly scrubbed through this video:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MSUfQSSgdbg[/video]

Edit: previous video used a fairly unusual case. Switched it to a more standard looking one.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #171,893 of 177,744

@EDC: What do you guys think of the Leatherman Skeletool? That's what I was carrying before I went to Hong Kong, hopefully I'll be able to retrieve it soon and then I can share my full EDC.
biggrin.gif

It is alright if all you need is a knife, pliers and bits. Lacks a little imo (file
frown.gif
), and could be split up into the seperate tools. If it had a file, it would be a lot better.

When do you use a file though? I can see the point of a knife, pliers, etc but I've never really needed a file for much of anything. And yeah for the size it doesn't really offer that many functions tbh. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #171,894 of 177,744
So if I decide to go through with building a PC this year, where would be a good place to start for someone with no building experience?
e.g. why would I buy X case over Y case, A fan over B fan, etc.

Just sit in the skype and ask. Usually 1-3 of us are available (basically just me, Tang, Ace) and we'll have it covered.

Use PCPartPicker as mentioned to compile the list. It gives you pricing from all the major vendors and includes stuff like Mail-In-Rebates (which you can turn off) in the final price calculation and the part selection is enormous; it's highly unlikely you'll run into undocumented things for most components. There are some small ones like certain fans and the selection of additional stuff like custom watercooling gear and fan controllers and etc. that they don't include in their database but they do allow you to add custom listings to the parts list.

Anyways the choosing parts experience is a pretty simple process so long as we have some target goals (like form factor so choosing between mITX, mATX, ATX: I usually recommended mITX or mATX since people rarely go past 1 GPU and usually don't use the additional slots, plus it saves space; resolution + frame rate; acoustics preference: sound dampening vs no sound dampening; aesthetics preference; storage needs; usual activities; etc.). Honestly this generation it's really hard to choose motherboards simply because there are none to choose from if you don't like the tacky motherboard shield + RGB + silkscreen printing look that all of the companies are going for. Speaking of which I'd wait to build at the beginning of 2H 2017 because of some stuff being released (AMD Zen/Ryzen hopefully giving us some less ugly budget options compared to the disgusting Z270 boards I've been seeing).

Building is one of the easiest things. You can really only plug things into the correct slot because the connectors aren't ambiguous. The only tricky part is thermal paste and heatsink installation but that's pretty easy as well even for first time; you might just walk away feeling a bit unsatisfied because you thought the job was messy but in reality it doesn't actually matter unless you used way too much thermal paste.

I'd tend to distrust a lot of the premade build lists on PCPartPicker because they waste expenses on really useless things or have a disagreeable aesthetic sense. Within forums probably only 5-10% of the people actually know what they're doing (like on any enthusiast forum). The only time a higher proportion of people know what they're doing is modding-centric forums but that's mostly craftsmanship knowledge instead of part picking knowledge.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #171,895 of 177,744
Just sit in the skype and ask. Usually 1-3 of us are available (basically just me, Tang, Ace) and we'll have it covered.

Use PCPartPicker as mentioned to compile the list. It gives you pricing from all the major vendors and includes stuff like Mail-In-Rebates (which you can turn off) in the final price calculation and the part selection is enormous; it's highly unlikely you'll run into undocumented things for most components. There are some small ones like certain fans and the selection of additional stuff like custom watercooling gear and fan controllers and etc. that they don't include in their database but they do allow you to add custom listings to the parts list.

Anyways the choosing parts experience is a pretty simple process so long as we have some target goals (like form factor so choosing between mITX, mATX, ATX: I usually recommended mITX or mATX since people rarely go past 1 GPU and usually don't use the additional slots, plus it saves space; resolution + frame rate; acoustics preference: sound dampening vs no sound dampening; aesthetics preference; storage needs; usual activities; etc.). Honestly this generation it's really hard to choose motherboards simply because there are none to choose from if you don't like the tacky motherboard shield + RGB + silkscreen printing look that all of the companies are going for. Speaking of which I'd wait to build at the beginning of 2H 2017 because of some stuff being released (AMD Zen/Ryzen hopefully giving us some less ugly budget options compared to the disgusting Z270 boards I've been seeing).

Building is one of the easiest things. You can really only plug things into the correct slot because the connectors aren't ambiguous. The only tricky part is thermal paste and heatsink installation but that's pretty easy as well even for first time; you might just walk away feeling a bit unsatisfied because you thought the job was messy but in reality it doesn't actually matter unless you used way too much thermal paste.

I'd tend to distrust a lot of the premade build lists on PCPartPicker because they waste expenses on really useless things or have a disagreeable aesthetic sense. Within forums probably only 5-10% of the people actually know what they're doing (like on any enthusiast forum). The only time a higher proportion of people know what they're doing is modding-centric forums but that's mostly craftsmanship knowledge instead of part picking knowledge.

Yeah, I have a few things I might want to mention about thermal paste when I have time. Probably better on chat. I also agree with the community built guides on PCPP.

However, the official builds and live streams on the site's YouTube channel (the ones that are sponsored by companies and done by the PCPP staff) are extremely clean and well narrated.

miceblue, keep in mind that many people offering advice on PCPP are actually newbies who are very excited to share knowledge they just learnt. Many may recommend you a card because they are planning to get it too and not because it's based on any practical experience/knowledge.

It's hard to distinguish them behind the keyboards so if you can talk to people you know are experienced with building PCs, preferability those you know in real life, listen to them first as they probably know based on experience what's practical things to consider and what's marketing hype.

-------

Oh, and all jokes aside, please don't get on the PCMR bandwagon. Apparently it's still going on, and those who take it seriously really need to stop bullying each other. :frowning2:

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #171,896 of 177,744
PC Part Picker is a good place to start as they have a part list organiser. It shows you all the basic components needed for a computer.

Moving from there, you can look up what each part does and try to get a feel for what you are looking to get for your needs.

I'm a bit busy at the moment so I can't type anything too much, but I can help run you through the stuff when I have time tomorrow morning. If you have a Google hangouts account I might be able to chat with you live if you really have a hard time with something.

Since we are at PC Part Picker, I recommend you take a look at as many of their video guides as possible (make sure it's the official video guides. Many of the build guides are by the community who build them for fun. They are nice, not not necessarily beginner friendly and sometimes not even practical). Some guides from other sources are a bit coloured (*cough* Tek Syndicate's old PCMR elitist guides) or are not as clean. For people who are more experienced, it may not be an issue, but if it is your first time, it may be confusing. The reason I recommend PC Part Picker is because their videos are great and simple, with no jokes or sarcasm that are not always obvious to people who are unfamiliar with the terms. Anyways, watch the videos on PCPP so you can at least start familiarising yourself with the terms that people use and start researching from there. Understanding the demographics of every component is quite overwhelming at first. That's normal so take your time. ^_^

After you start to be able to piece things together in your head, you can start looking at reviews of individual components (know how every company's nomenclature works, understanding features, get a basic idea of the pricing/performance hierarchy, know what's pure marketing bs and what's actual useful features that is worth considering, etc.). Hopefully by then you can start to work on a basic idea of a practical PC that suits your needs.

People can start to help you and improve on your parts list as communications is smoother.

Fill-in-the-box style list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Random video I grabbed from PCPP YouTube channel. Quickly scribbled through it. Nothing I see wrong on first glance.

If someone has a better suggestion, please share it as I actually only briefly scrubbed through this video:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MSUfQSSgdbg[/video]

Edit: previous video used a fairly unusual case. Switched it to a more standard looking one.

Yeah, I have a few things I might want to mention about thermal paste when I have time. Probably better on chat. I also agree with the community built guides on PCPP.

However, the official builds and live streams on the site's YouTube channel (the ones that are sponsored and don't by the PCPP staff) are extremely clean and well narrated.

miceblue, keep in mind that many people offering advice on PCPP are actually newbies who are very excited to share knowledge they just learnt. Many may recommend you a card because they are planning to get it too and not because it's based on any practical experience/knowledge.

It's hard to distinguish them behind the keyboards so if you can talk to people you know are experienced with building PCs, preferability those you know in real life, listen to them first as they probably know based on experience what's practical things to consider and what's marketing hype.

-------

Oh, and all jokes aside, please don't get on the PCMR bandwagon. Apparently it's still going on, and those who take it seriously really need to stop bullying each other. :frowning2:

Mhmm, PC Part Picker looks like a great place to start! I wanna be the odd one out and build a team Red PC eventually. XD

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #171,897 of 177,744
Mhmm, PC Part Picker looks like a great place to start! I wanna be the odd one out and build a team Red PC eventually. XD

That's not odd at all. :D

AMD has very competitive offerings in the GPU market, and it's interesting to finally see them get back into the CPU market.

Just keep in mind that like anime figures you may collect, the PC will eventually fade away so don't invest too much into the aesthetics, especially at the expense of other things, unless you really want to go all out and spend tons of money. She with going premium for overclocking. It doesn't give you much in return, but these things can easily eat up money and people tend to really hype them up a lot for some reason.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #171,898 of 177,744
  When do you use a file though? I can see the point of a knife, pliers, etc but I've never really needed a file for much of anything. And yeah for the size it doesn't really offer that many functions tbh. 

Mainly for metal and plastic working, something I do more often than not. It's really useful to have a good file on hand when you want to knock off a burr or shape something really quick (the Swisstool Spirit has an exceptional one, but not sure how long it will be sharp).

If I were completely selfish, I would love to have a Metal saw on my multi-tool. A proper metal saw to hack through something really quickly, but I also understand that it is nearly impossible to do that, so I compromise with a good file.

Speaking of computers... new stuff isn't as exciting to me as this dumb machine is.

It's an ancient Dell Optiplex 760 with a Core2Duo E7400 and now... a GTX 550Ti. No, there is not a 850 Evo in it, I just had that box from another machine, and stored stuff in the box. Pretty fun little thing to dick with in my "spare" time. Putting a 4x2GB kit in it once it comes in... and might grab a cruddy SSD to pop in it to play with. I will never understand why people think these things are obsolete. It isn't nearly as fast as an i5-4690K with a good SSD, but it still works just fine as a normal browsing machine. More RAM and an SSD (as opposed to crappy HDDs pulled from god knows what...) will probably make this thing work very well as a media consumption machine (though 1080p h.264 10-bit is pretty much its limit) and as a very light gaming machine. It also happens to be my only computer with me that has an ODD... so that's nice. \(。ヮ°)ノ

So freaking glad I jacked this from a dumpster last year and worked on it. When I pulled it out it had been sitting in the sun and rain for at least 6 months... it had water marks, bird poop and other great things on. Though surprisingly no spider webs... I don't understand why it works, but it does.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #171,899 of 177,744
http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/6110/Nendoroid+Snow+Miku+Twinkle+Snow+Ver.html

Called it. It suits the theme"Starry Nights" way more than "Snow."

So cute thou...I feel so sad when I saw those pics of Miku crying omg someone help her and give her a hug please!!!

(>;o:wink:>
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #171,900 of 177,744

Ryzen/Vega does look exciting.

Yeah you'll be in good hands with our dudes double checking things. The name of the game is performance per dollar and I've been building PCs for a bit over 17 years now maybe? You can fire away with any ol' question on why we recommend one thing over another and I'll be happy to answer.

Nice rescue from the landfill Ace, it's not too uncommon for Dell/HP etc to use power supplies made by the big quality OEMs like Delta/SeaSonic/Flextronics so I wouldn't be too surprised if the power supply is even better than the low end stuff commonly thrown around as recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back