「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Nov 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #169,876 of 177,744
It potentially keeps the casual smokers away from the shady drug dealers, tho.

If people happen to decide that spending money on drugs is a better use of their time and money instead of something else you really have to question their decision making from that point on. Of course that doesn't apply to people who use it for medical purposes but otherwise your money is better spent elsewhere. I would even say that you're better off paying for a prostitute instead. Impulse buy something else for instant gratification instead.

I don't see a reason to try to protect people who make these kind of decisions voluntarily in the first place.

Having a government impose regulations on marijuana doesn't guarantee a decrease in black market activity for it because if the price is placed above where the equilibrium price was before it was legal, there's no reason for people to buy from the government. There's also a good chance drug dealers will just start spicing up their marijuana to attract people.

For the people who do buy weed regulated by the government, I guess their decisions are taxed for something more useful (for a better cause is a questionable statement)

The other thing we do get to see is what prolonged usage of marijuana does since our sample size is orders of magnitude larger than before so everybody becomes a guinea pig for correlational studies, and more laboratory studies are allowed due to the legal nature of marijuana.

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #169,877 of 177,744
  I really wonder why people thought it was a great idea to legalize marijuana.

I know the government is happy now that they get to regulate and tax it but I don't see any benefits outside of that (and the harm probably outweighs the benefits). Marijuana isn't some sort of miracle "no risk" drug. It's still linked to a handful of health problems and second hand smoke can harm child development in pregnant women (just like second hand smoke for cigarettes except that's a lot more serious).

The argument that "because alcohol is legalized and that it's way more dangerous everything else less potent should be legalized" is by far the dumbest argument I have ever heard. Giving people easier access to a drug is more or less promoting drug usage by simply making it readily available.

This country makes me really sad.

I voted to legalize weed because the drug war against marijuana has been a huge waste of money, destroyed minority communities and now that it is a legal recreational drug consumers don't have to go to the back market and get their drugs from shady sources. There will always be shady drug dealers but legalization will give them less and incentive to deal. 

I personally don't get high all that much, probably been a few years now but legalization is good for the state.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Nov 11, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #169,878 of 177,744
Seattle legalized weeds, and I don't have a problem with people using it nor selling it legally. Makes more people happy and people are getring jobs because of it. One of my ex-coworkers quit working as a cashier to work at one of the larger businesses in Washington and he's a sane guy despite doing it himself for recreation.

There hasn't been any real problems with recreational weeds since its legalization minus the government regulations still being pretty stiff for growers.

I don't do it, for the same purpose I don't smoke, but that doesn't mean we should keep others from doing it.

These need to die tho
dandelion-weeds-by-aaron13251.jpg

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #169,879 of 177,744
Seattle legalized weeds, and I don't have a problem with people using it nor selling it legally. Makes more people happy and people are getring jobs because of it. One of my ex-coworkers quit working as a cashier to work at one of the larger businesses in Washington and he's a sane guy despite doing it himself for recreation.

There hasn't been any real problems with recreational weeds since its legalization minus the government regulations still being pretty stiff for growers.

I don't do it, for the same purpose I don't smoke, but that doesn't mean we should keep others from doing it.

Except the fact that anything that is smoked usually has some sort of issue with second hand smoke that has close to the same effects of smoking the drug itself so there's still a social cost for that one.

So unless the government does something like only sell marijuana snack bars or something there's still issues with it.

Unless we go full Asia with smoking booths (which are still really unpleasant to walk by).

The second hand smoke alone is already enough to make any substance that's smoked more dangerous than something like alcohol because alcohol consumption only affects one person (and the potency of that alcohol also depends on concentration so soju vs vodka); the smoking, unless restricted to smoking booths (it sounds like they need to be constructed like chem lab fume hoods) affects a whole area around you.

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #169,881 of 177,744
So then we should make cigarette, e-cigar, and vaping all illegal too for the same logic. I somehow don't think people will let that slide.

Of course they should be.

And of course people aren't going to let it slide because as soon as something becomes a norm they're not going to let it go away regardless the cost.

Then again this country is happier to protect its guns than its privacy right so...yup.

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #169,883 of 177,744

And of course people aren't going to let it slide because as soon as something becomes a norm they're not going to let it go away regardless the cost.

Then again this country is happier to protect its guns than its privacy right so...yup.

I guess cars should be banned too since they emit more smoke and cause more damage to the environment than smokers ever could.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #169,884 of 177,744
  I guess cars should be banned too since they emit more smoke and cause more damage to the environment than smokers ever could.
rolleyes.gif

Because cars are equally easy to ban.
Great comparison.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #169,887 of 177,744

You haven't provided a very good argument as to why it should be illegal. I also think the "alcohol is way worse argument" is completely valid. I don't drink and I've never done any sort of drug but I have 0 problems legalizing weed as long as they hold users to the same rules as alcohol. No operating cars/heavy equipment, no public intoxication, DUIs etc. People can do whatever they want in their own homes and having weed more available wont destroy our civilization, not like legalizing meth and heroine would at least. Let alone the billions we spend to fight drug use. If you take weed out of the targets they can focus on the schiit that really effs up people's lives. Your argument that it wont stop a black market is a straw man. People are lazy by nature if you can get weed for a few bucks why go out of your way to illegally obtain it from a shady ass dealer? I don't hear much about people growing tobacco in their yards or getting it from a dealer in a back alley and cigarettes are expensive as all hell.

I have known raging alcoholics and one that died from liver failure at 37. I have also known more than a few smokers that have died from various cancers. Those drugs plus prescription abuse can, do, and will destroy people. I have friends that smoked A LOT of weed and yeah their mental functions aren't so great and for all I know they might get cancer from it, that was their choice just like a smoker basically asking for some form of cancer. I don't care to protect everyone from themselves but putting every kid that wants to smoke a little weed in our over-stuffed jails and spending untold billions in funds fighting it sounds like a losing battle to me when you can make bank taxing the crap out of weed just like cigarettes. To me the only downside other than a few thousand more ruined lives that we get with the other legal drugs; is increased use by youth, but the numbers of kids getting high on all drugs had been fairly stable the past few dozen years though heroine and cocaine use is way up while things like ecstasy and other psychotropics are down.

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #169,889 of 177,744
  ​How has it been? I dropped it after 3 episodes because the humor just wasn't doing it for me.

It was okay... until this ep lol

rolleyes.gif

not really? cars have filters in the exhaust pipe.
The last time I saw smoke coming out of a car was when it caught fire....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back