「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Nov 12, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #169,891 of 177,745

You haven't provided a very good argument as to why it should be illegal. I also think the "alcohol is way worse argument" is completely valid. I don't drink and I've never done any sort of drug but I have 0 problems legalizing weed as long as they hold users to the same rules as alcohol. No operating cars/heavy equipment, no public intoxication, DUIs etc. People can do whatever they want in their own homes and having weed more available wont destroy our civilization, not like legalizing meth and heroine would at least. Let alone the billions we spend to fight drug use. If you take weed out of the targets they can focus on the schiit that really effs up people's lives. Your argument that it wont stop a black market is a straw man. People are lazy by nature if you can get weed for a few bucks why go out of your way to illegally obtain it from a shady ass dealer? I don't hear much about people growing tobacco in their yards or getting it from a dealer in a back alley and cigarettes are expensive as all hell.

I have known raging alcoholics and one that died from liver failure at 37. I have also known more than a few smokers that have died from various cancers. Those drugs plus prescription abuse can, do, and will destroy people. I have friends that smoked A LOT of weed and yeah their mental functions aren't so great and for all I know they might get cancer from it, that was their choice just like a smoker basically asking for some form of cancer. I don't care to protect everyone from themselves but putting every kid that wants to smoke a little weed in our over-stuffed jails and spending untold billions in funds fighting it sounds like a losing battle to me when you can make bank taxing the crap out of weed just like cigarettes. To me the only downside other than a few thousand more ruined lives that we get with the other legal drugs; is increased use by youth, but the numbers of kids getting high on all drugs had been fairly stable the past few dozen years though heroine and cocaine use is way up while things like ecstasy and other psychotropics are down.

So giving them easy access to a gateway drug will change anything? The same amount of money spent trying to fight against marijuana now goes to an increasing population of people who use more serious drugs.

Albeit now we don't have to worry about overfilling our jails because now we can deal with overfilled hospitals and dead corpses instead.

not really? cars have filters in the exhaust pipe.
The last time I saw smoke coming out of a car was when it caught fire....

XD +1

That isn't even close to an adept comparison.

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #169,892 of 177,745
  So giving them easy access to a gateway drug will change anything? The same amount of money spent trying to fight against marijuana now goes to an increasing population of people who use more serious drugs.

Albeit now we don't have to worry about overfilling our jails because now we can deal with overfilled hospitals and dead corpses instead.

The gateway drug argument is shaky. Other countries' that have very loose drug laws don't have rampant usage problems. As long as the education is there, you'd be surprised how few people take drugs and continue on to abuse them or become an addict. Claiming weed is "more serious" is just regurgitating the reasons the government named it a Schedule I drug without any scientific basis. I mean face it, weed has basically been legal in CA for 20 years since it was approved for medical use, anyone with a half-assed excuse and a shady doctor can get a card. Last I checked CA isn't burning to the ground. Trump has done more harm in just a few days lol.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/high-school-youth-trends

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #169,893 of 177,745
  That isn't even close to an adept comparison.

Wasn't there a Porsche or something where the air coming out of the exhaust was cleaner than the air going in? (granted it was heavily polluted city air but still!) 
tongue.gif

Only one more week for The Grand Tour.

Nvidia has been making bank, their stock price went up 30ish percent after the recent earnings call, Zen/Vega can't come soon enough. Hmmmm 1070 prices are slowly becoming reasonable...might get one...I missed out on a recent 10% off sale. X(

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #169,894 of 177,745

Wasn't there a Porsche or something where the air coming out of the exhaust was cleaner than the air going in? (granted it was heavily polluted city air but still!) 
tongue.gif

Only one more week for The Grand Tour.

Nvidia has been making bank, their stock price went up 30ish percent after the recent earnings call, Zen/Vega can't come soon enough. Hmmmm 1070 prices are slowly becoming reasonable...might get one...I missed out on a recent 10% off sale. X(

​Yeah they did that years ago with the air being cleaner going out than going in, but you still release all the co2 and stuff. I am also hype for grand tour but will have to steal my dad's prime account.

I almost bought Nvidia stock in 1998. Regret :frowning2:

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #169,895 of 177,745

The gateway drug argument is shaky. Other countries' that have very loose drug laws don't have rampant usage problems. As long as the education is there, you'd be surprised how few people take drugs and continue on to abuse them or become an addict. Claiming weed is "more serious" is just regurgitating the reasons the government named it a Schedule I drug without any scientific basis. I mean face it, weed has basically been legal in CA for 20 years since it was approved for medical use, anyone with a half-assed excuse and a shady doctor can get a card. Last I checked CA isn't burning to the ground. Trump has done more harm in just a few days lol.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/high-school-youth-trends

Just because it applies to other countries doesn't mean it applies to the US. It's not a matter of education in these countries. If anything, citizens in these countries know relatively little about drugs compared to the US. The cultures of these countries either look down on drugs severely or the environment simply never provides a reason to go to drugs. They never focus on drugs so the topic usually isn't brought into the public eye, and since the public has little exposure to it they rarely think about it.

Guns are a really easy parallel to this regarding how countries react differently given the same circumstances. Even right above us in Canada which has fairly normal gun laws compared to the US there are almost no issues with gun control yet gun control issues are rampant in the US. It's bad enough that public shootings feel normal now.

That drought though. And apparently suicide help phone lines became bombarded with LGBTQ callers after Trump's election. (-_-")

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #169,896 of 177,745
  That drought though. And apparently suicide help phone lines became bombarded with LGBTQ callers after Trump's election. (-_-")

LOL

on a random note, I kept mixing up IGBT (Insulated-Gate Bipolar Transistor) with LGBT....

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #169,897 of 177,745

tongue.gif

Wait what?

The only Porsche green vehicle I remember was their Mission E concept and that looked gorgeous.

http://design-milk.com/porsche-mission-new-electric-powered-concept/

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #169,898 of 177,745
  LOL

on a random note, I kept mixing up IGBT (Insulated-Gate Bipolar Transistor) with LGBT....

I have an amp that uses IGBTs. I told Jason Stoddard to do it as a joke and he said you'd have to be crazy to use one in amp design :p

Nelson Pass: They use a new output semiconductor called an IGBT—which stands for Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor—which is a couple of years old as an n-channel switch device. Toshiba recently developed very linear complementary devices, specifically for audio. When we ran across those they looked extremely interesting; we acquired some and began working with them. I should point out too that I don't take the design credit on that particular product. The front end and some other pieces are mine, but the amplifiers are primarily the work of a Swedish engineer, Michael Bladelius—we brought him over a year ago.
The IGBT is a very interesting device. It's a hybrid, functionally between a MOSFET and a bipolar. It has more or less the input characteristics of a MOSFET and the output characteristics of a bipolar. Its input is characterized by transconductance—its transconductance is higher than you find normally with a MOSFET, but it's still a transconductance characteristic. It has a low output impedance, as is found in a bipolar, but wider bandwidth than you see with a bipolar. It's also quite linear, in this case sufficiently linear that the performance that we get on the Forté amplifiers is achieved without a feedback loop, much as in the Stasis amplifiers, but with a different approach.

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #169,900 of 177,745

You know what I meant: pollutants. And I was being sarcastic. Banning cars and banning smoking would both be absurd and wrong.

What's wrong with banning smoking? The likelihood of it happening is low but I don't see why anybody would argue that banning smoking would be a bad idea.

Just make sure you legalize marijuana at the same time so people have something else to smoke instead that isn't tobacco (but smells awful). Vape pens are just as bad if not worse that cigarettes apparently so...

Anyways tobacco is probably higher on the human health threat list than alcohol in today's commonly available drugs.

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #169,901 of 177,745
  I have an amp that uses IGBTs. I told Jason Stoddard to do it as a joke and he said you'd have to be crazy to use one in amp design :p

I'm pretty sure I've seen them being used in some muti-kilowatt app designs.... :)

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #169,902 of 177,745
  What's wrong with banning smoking? The likelihood of it happening is low but I don't see why anybody would argue that banning smoking would be a bad idea.

Just make sure you legalize marijuana at the same time so people have something else to smoke instead that isn't tobacco (but smells awful). Vape pens are just as bad if not worse that cigarettes apparently so...

Anyways tobacco is probably higher on the human health threat list than alcohol in today's commonly available drugs.

I'm pretty sure the tobacco companies won't let that happen but otherwise I totally agree.

I'd much rather have people smoking weed than tobacco. (I find the smell somewhat nice lol)

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #169,903 of 177,745
Obligatory
tumblr_mbjtz2jTHn1r6w8wbo1_500.jpg

FWIW, I hate the smell of weeds and think it's quite pungent (you can smell it a mile away); don't mind smoke though. XD

Don't really see the point of making smoking/vaping/weeding illegal. It should be a personal choice like abor...oh wait that's gonna get trumped now.

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #169,904 of 177,745

It's wrong because you are robbing people of their freedom and/or their money when they didn't even do anything wrong. They did not initiate force, theft, or fraud against anyone else. You clearly have no concept of human rights, much less self-ownership and self-responsibility. What you are condoning is nothing more than senseless violence against the innocent. Countless thousands of people are rotting in jail (where horrible things, including physical violence, happen to them) simply because they chose to ingest a substance into their own bodies, without ever harming anyone else, and that is wrong! Why would you wish harm upon others who did not cause harm (as in direct, actual, physical harm) to anyone else?

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #169,905 of 177,745
Obligatory

FWIW, I hate the smell of weeds and think it's quite pungent (you can smell it a mile away); don't mind smoke though. XD

Don't really see the point of making smoking/vaping/weeding illegal. It should be a personal choice like abor...oh wait that's gonna get trumped now.

Hmmm... maybe the stuff my friend was smoking isn't quite the same weed.....
Smells really nice and sweet like those scented candles lol
It also never ceases to amaze me how they can roll a joint with one hand on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back