「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 19, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #156,886 of 177,744
Never heard of bloodstained =/

@Idsynchrono_24 The Saturn and Sega were beasts at the time. I had one too.
People who didn't back the campaign will buy it if it gets even decent reviews because of the kickstarter backing hype.
That is too cute.

Yeah, it's like I said, it's a very cult title, in a genre that most people don't gravitate to, on a system that sold like 10 million. I'm not surprised that the majority of gamers prior to E3 had never heard of it. It's similar to Arcade Fire winning AotY at the Grammy's and all of a sudden Twitter was abuzz with tweets asking "Who the **** are The Suburbs?" Still, practically every modern game on the market owes something to Shenmue in the way that it handled cinematic gameplay (read: QTEs) and pushed the boundaries for unprecedented production values (it was, at time of release, the most costly to develop in the world). It would go on to pave the road for something like the GTAs of the industry. Hell, the Dreamcast as a console was WAY ahead of its time. It was the first console to actually offer functional online gameplay and DLC, and even kb/m support. Sega's VMU was like a prototypical/primitive Wii U Gamepad. Jet Set Radio was the first game to actually use cel-shading. Seaman had voice recognition software. As a console, it was just bananas at the time. 

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #156,887 of 177,744
That's their failure. I never had a home console before the previous generation and I knew about it.

Yeah but you grew up in an age of the Internet and you seem to actively browse NeoGAF. I grew up in an era of floppy discs, Adobe Flash games, Neopets, Tamagotchis, when 64 MB flash drives were amazing, and when people actually went to peoples' houses to play video games before Xbox Live became a thing and mainstream. XD

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #156,888 of 177,744
Charlotte ep 3

As much as I love Jun Maeda's magic in Clannad.....ep 3's was way too forced.

I honestly didn't like Angel Beats. Jun tries to work magic with constraints on building these elaborate interpersonal stories that all somehow relate....even though he has serious inabilities to do it realistically in 13 eps. Yet here he tries again with Charlotte and in Angel Beats.

The 
supposedly teary eyed scene about Misa and that 30s monolgue clueing us into how she died and the dude's love for her 
made me want to puke. 

It was like this 20s spiel Maeda wrote in to pull on my heart strings.

The best part about that ep was the female MC getting smacked and the imo of course....best imo

Quote:
Whee, I helped a fellow Head-Fier at work today. XD

I also saw one of my graduating colleagues. >.>

How the heck did Shenmue get over $6.3 million on Kickstarter? No one I grew up with ever spoke of it, and I literally only heard about the series for the first time ever when it was first announced at E3 (which is probably the best time to launch a crowdfunding campaign for a video game).

Mighty No. 9's success was a given because of the legendary Mega Man series, and likewise for Bloodstained and Castlevania. Everyone has heard of those games before because of their influence on video games throughout history, but Shenmue trumped them both in terms of funding. Even Bloodstained's campaign video/trailer was just plain badass; Shenmue's was pretty bland in comparison.

shenmue is the same for me. I keep hearing about how nostalgic it was...but never from anybody ....like at all

Ohhhhh this is what the Monkey King thing is.

http://movie.mtime.com/209164/

Now I need somewhere to watch it.

oooo

that looks nice...now I want to watch it as well

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #156,890 of 177,744
Yeah but you grew up in an age of the Internet and you seem to actively browse NeoGAF. I grew up in an era of floppy discs, Adobe Flash games, Neopets, Tamagotchis, when 64 MB flash drives were amazing, and when people actually went to peoples' houses to play video games before Xbox Live became a thing and mainstream. XD

I grew up in the same era burning stuff with a soldering iron and blowing up caps.

Oh and it's Macromedia flash, not adobe.
I've played around with Shockwave in grade school on Windows 3.1 (making stupid things move around and change color, nothing too fancy)

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #156,891 of 177,744

Then how the heck did you not even hear of Shenmue??? Lol

Although you have some generations combined there, like 5 years or so lol, which is a long time in tech and pop culture.

Yeah, it's like I said, it's a very cult title, in a genre that most people don't gravitate to, on a system that sold like 10 million. I'm not surprised that the majority of gamers prior to E3 had never heard of it. It's similar to Arcade Fire winning AotY at the Grammy's and all of a sudden Twitter was abuzz with tweets asking "Who the **** are The Suburbs?" Still, practically every modern game on the market owes something to Shenmue in the way that it handled cinematic gameplay (read: QTEs) and pushed the boundaries for unprecedented production values (it was, at time of release, the most costly to develop in the world). It would go on to pave the road for something like the GTAs of the industry. Hell, the Dreamcast as a console was WAY ahead of its time. It was the first console to actually offer functional online gameplay and DLC, and even kb/m support. Sega's VMU was like a prototypical/primitive Wii U Gamepad. Jet Set Radio was the first game to actually use cel-shading. Seaman had voice recognition software. As a console, it was just bananas at the time. 

Wow, I even forgot about some of that stuff. It's literally like the father of modern gaming. The vision there was very ahead of it's time. That wouldn't be the first time that that sort of situation would lead to downfall.

And oh man, when jet set radio came out. That was eye opening.

Accoun Mmm thanks for the input. I think I had guilty gear way back on the PS1 but I can't even remember. I probably sold it.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #156,894 of 177,744
  So she is the one everyone's waiting for
Annoying type tho

God Eater is basically Seraph of The End

I did not even manage to make it through the first episode. Only skipped through the last six minutes.
Really not great.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #156,895 of 177,744
Hey everyone, 

It's been awhile! I'm glad this forum is still going strong over the past few years :) 

@mice, you don't mind me asking for your age do you? Shenmue was a big part of my childhood (back during the Dreamcast days). A lot of people I've met that are younger than me haven't heard of the series. I don't know if you guys remember, but Dreamcast games were SUUUPER easy to copy and burn, so the game itself didn't sell as well as expect. 

The game is basically a giant RPG, with you walking around trying to find clues and hints. So you're interacting with people, as well as being able to explore the map (think Skyrim status). It might not sound as special or interesting now, but back when I was a kid, it was the first of it's kind. 

The story is pretty good too :) 

How has everyone been? 

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #156,897 of 177,744
  Only great thing about it is the visual

They are pretty good, but surprisingly divisive. I like them.
Too bad the backgrounds are like the most boring thing ever.

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #156,898 of 177,744
Then how the heck did you not even hear of Shenmue??? Lol

Because:
No one I grew up with ever spoke of it, and I literally only heard about the series for the first time ever when it was first announced at E3 (which is probably the best time to launch a crowdfunding campaign for a video game).

[rule]
Saw this at the Kinokuniya Bookstore. Whaaaaat the fuuuuuu? Hype hype hype hype hype.

[video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=ktTAGGy0y1U[/video]

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #156,899 of 177,744

How has everyone been? 

So bored that I have nothing to do, only to wait until my time to go on a vacation
Still hasn't decide when to go shopping with my brother

They are pretty good, but surprisingly divisive. I like them.
Too bad the backgrounds are like the most boring thing ever.

Because apocalypse theme
What else do you expect

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #156,900 of 177,744
Can anyone suggest a Fairy Tail inspired CIEM design? :p I'm thinking of getting a 1964 ciem and have its artwork Fairytail like :) Would be great if theres an emphasis to Erza Scarlet :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back